8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 5:21 PM by cheluto2

Newbie: How to use InDesign with ASP.Net site?

cheluto2

***Sorry for the double-post.  I posted this in the InDesign Server section, too.  Not sure if it belongs here, instead, so here it goes.

I'm a total newbie with InDesign, and have been tasked with developing a sample ASP.Net mini app to figure out if we can use InDesign to replace Quark in an existing site.  Here are the details, and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction to get this going.

I will have InDesign templates available with text and image placeholders (can be one or many of each).

I need to create an ASP.Net web application where:

- Users can select one of the available templates

- Enter their own text to plug into the text placeholders

- Upload their own images to plug into the image placeholders

- Preview the resulting document on the screen

- Click a button to generate a PDF version of this document and view/save it.

It sounds simple, and I'm sure it is, but I can't find detailed information on how to do it and, since I'm completely unfamiliar with InDesign, I'm a little lost.  I know ASP.Net, I just don't know where to start to use InDesign Server (or client, I don't know) from .Net code.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and rewarded.

Thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: Newbie: How to use InDesign with ASP.Net site?
          cheluto2 Level 1

Anybody? Please? Any help would be much appreciated.

• 2. Re: Newbie: How to use InDesign with ASP.Net site?
            AdobeScripts Level 3

It would be easier for you if you create VBScript or JavaScript "on the fly" (in .Net as text file) and call it from system shell (VBScript) or from InDesign (VBScript and JavaScript) - sorry, but I don't have .Net so I can't give you examples - you need to search this forum - there should be something.

robin

www.adobescripts.co.uk

• 3. Re: Newbie: How to use InDesign with ASP.Net site?
              cheluto2 Level 1

Robert-Tkaczyk wrote:

It would be easier for you if you create VBScript or JavaScript "on the fly" (in .Net as text file) and call it from system shell (VBScript) or from InDesign (VBScript and JavaScript) - sorry, but I don't have .Net so I can't give you examples - you need to search this forum - there should be something.

robin

www.adobescripts.co.uk

Thanks for the reply.

I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for by searching thesite, unfortunately.  I am trying to figure out if there's a way to "instantiate" ID Server from ASP.Net code on the IIS web server so that I can populate an ID template and render it as PDF programmatically so the web browser client can view/download it.  If I generate VBScript or JavaScript, that would need to run on the client or on the server on another process/thread, I think, so it probably wouldn't work.  I would think it's a common task to do, so I'm hoping someone has done it and can guide me.

If anybody else has ideas, they would be welcome.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Newbie: How to use InDesign with ASP.Net site?
                AdobeScripts Level 3

If anybody else has ideas, they would be welcome.

try to use google "indesign server ASP.Net"

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/indesign/sdk/InDesign_CS3_Server_SDK_Readme.txt

2. What's New

In this version of the SDK, we added samples and documentation related
                to accessing InDesign Server via SOAP with PHP, C#, and ASP.NET.
                For details, see the following document:

<SDK>/docs/guildes/ww-ids-java.pdf

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/COM/Adobe_s_Indesign_COM_obje.aspx
                http://p2p.wrox.com/net-framework-1-x/62966-implementing-indesign-files-asp-net.html

and you can also try to search for "indesign server soap"

robin
                www.adobescripts.co.uk

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Newbie: How to use InDesign with ASP.Net site?
                  cheluto2 Level 1

Thanks again, Robin.

I have been reading up on posts and information and the SDKs, but I guess what I'm looking for is someone who can provide a concrete, if simple, example on how to accomplish what I described above.  The SDK samples all do some work, but not exactly what I'm looking for.  Other examples I've found are incomplete or otherwise not descriptive enough.  Since I am completely new to this, and am in a hurry to get a sample going, I need a lot of guidance, and a concrete example would help me understand the flow and go from there.

I haven't been able to find documentation on the InDesign Server's COM API either, to know what each method/property/object does, which is surprising.  That would also help a lot.  In other words, the samples cover some functionality, not all, and I can't find documentation to know what else I can use to accomplish what I need to accomplish.  Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Newbie: How to use InDesign with ASP.Net site?
                    Steven.. Level 3

I don't know your situation, however it sounds as if you should be looking to hire a scripter to work on your project. While it may sound simple to you, it doesn't seem simple enough for any of the experienced scripters to dish out code. Generaly the only one who ever posts VB code on this forum is Robert and he seems not to have experience with asp.net.

Good Luck

• 7. Re: Newbie: How to use InDesign with ASP.Net site?
                      AdobeScripts Level 3

I have been reading up on posts and information and the SDKs, but I guess what I'm looking for is someone who can provide a concrete, if simple, example on how to accomplish what I described above.  The SDK samples all do some work, but not exactly what I'm looking for.  Other examples I've found are incomplete or otherwise not descriptive enough.  Since I am completely new to this, and am in a hurry to get a sample going, I need a lot of guidance, and a concrete example would help me understand the flow and go from there.

I haven't been able to find documentation on the InDesign Server's COM API either, to know what each method/property/object does, which is surprising.  That would also help a lot.  In other words, the samples cover some functionality, not all, and I can't find documentation to know what else I can use to accomplish what I need to accomplish.  Hope this makes sense.

To see objects/methods/properties you need to use ESTK or VisualBasic (in VB you need to point to *.TLB file - you don't need to install ID - just *.TLB file).

Adobe stops developing documentation after ID CS2

robin

www.adobescripts.co.uk

• 8. Re: Newbie: How to use InDesign with ASP.Net site?
                        cheluto2 Level 1

Points well taken.  It seems like it's not an easy task to learn to develop with InDesign or get enough support to do so in a relatively short time.  Considering this, we'll probably end up using a solution provider to get this project up and running until we acquire some knowledge in-house.

Thanks for your replies.