3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 2:25 PM by GordonSmith

Correct Cyrillic Symbols Displaying

ArrowUpRight

can't get a correct displaying of this xml file retrieved by a data/services dialog in Flash Bulder 4:

www.kinetik.kz/bin-debug/data/goods.xml

the data in this xml is cyrillic strings.

• 1. Re: Correct Cyrillic Symbols Displaying
          GordonSmith Level 4

Does your app work correctly with identically-structured XML files with English content? What component are you displaying the Cyrllic text in? What font is it using?

Gordon Smith

Adobe Flex SDK Team

• 2. Re: Correct Cyrillic Symbols Displaying
            ArrowUpRight Level 2

Hi Gordon, thank you for reply. Yes, when using data/services wizard to connect to xml, English content is displayed correctly, but the Russian content is turned into unreadable symbols. I used a DataGrid control with a default font. I guess this is an encoding problem.

But, when i use a HTTPService in my program code to connect to the same XML and provide data to the same DataGrid, everything is working excellent. I mean, all Cyrrillic symbols are displayed correctly.

Keeping rolling at FB4.

• 3. Re: Correct Cyrillic Symbols Displaying
              GordonSmith Level 4

You probably have either an encoding problem or a font-doesn't-have-Cyrillic-glyphs problem. If you're using Flex's default font, Arial, then it should be able to display Cyrillic (or at least it did when I tried it on Windows... I didn't try it on Mac befause I don't have one on my desk).

To determine if you have an encoding problem, using String APIs like charCodeAt() to tell you the Unicode values of the first few characters. Then find a table of Unicode's Cyrillic characters and see if you are getting the values you expect.

Gordon Smith

Adobe Flex SDK Team