1 2 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 7:16 PM by the_wine_snob

i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

jrrogers85

i have tried burning to a dvd and it has always stopped at 2% with a "transcoding error"  i read the help page and it said to export it to an AVI file then, start a new project, import that file and that should work.  i have tried exporting it to my computer several times and it always stops at 2% and says "unknown error"  i have a movie ready that i need on dvd by tomorrow night.  what the heck is going on?!  can anyone please help a stressed out guy!!  thanks so much!!

• 1. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
          jrrogers85 Level 1

my system has 3 GB ram and has all the other components to handle this type of stuff so i have no idea what is causing this.  i am using some pretty good media as far as picture quality and such goes.  i do have a few videos but i had to convert them to be able to use them on PE8.  can you guys please help me at all?  i'm losing my mind over this... thanks guys!

• 2. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're using a fresh, new project with the exported AVI as your source files (i.e., there is no red line above your video clip on your timeline) the most likely cause is a lack of hardware resources.

You don't say how long your video is, but do you have at least 30 gigs of free, defragmented space on your hard drive, for instance?

You can also try burning your DVD files to a folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a disc. This will eliminate the possibility that your firmware is at fault.

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer a number of troubleshooting steps for problems like yours.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
              jrrogers85 Level 1

thanks for your help steve!  i have about 50 GB on my c: drive and about 80 GB on my F: drive but then i saved a copy of my project to my external hard drive which is a 1 TB hard drive and i have 900 and some GB left on that.  i originally installed PE8 to my c: drive tho.  is that enuf space for it?  my video is 42 mins long.  i tried burning it to a folder on my 1 TB hard drive and that still stops at 2%.  so i've tried to burn to a disc and it gets a transcoding error at 2%.  i tried burning to a folder on my big ol' hard drive and it gets and unknown error at 2%.  does any of this help you?  thanks steve!!!!

• 4. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                jrrogers85 Level 1

and i've heard that the ImgBurn program works really well so i'd like to try that but i can't even burn it to my computer.  how come you think i can't even do that?

• 5. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                  jrrogers85 Level 1

when i try to burn to a folder, it always gets to a certain point and then stops.  i watched what little did copy to the folder and it always stops right when the still pics start.  does that help at all?  if for some reason my pics are to high def or whatever then how can i change them or do whatever is necessary?

• 6. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                    jrrogers85 Level 1

so i deleted everything from where the still photos start and on which is 99% of the video but it appears to be copying to the folder fine.  i'm

gonna try to do it in 2 parts but i'm afraid that my still photos are causing the issue but i have no idea how to solve that.  can you please help me.  thank so much!

• 7. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                      jrrogers85 Level 1

okay, so i just tried burning the opening titles is all and it threw me another error saying disk full.  what the hell is going on?!?!

• 8. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

Sorry, JR. Things are still so random that it's hard to say where things are failing.

If you'll work through those troubleshooting steps and report, in as much detail as possible, what's happening on each step, we can probably better help you diagnose your problem.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                          jrrogers85 Level 1

hi steve!  thx again for your help.  well, i tried to burn it to my computer via share>burn to PC> microsoft AVI.  that so far has worked the best.  it took several hours but i know it got up to 49% but then i had to leave for several hours.  when i came back it said 100% but somewhere along the way it caused an error cuz it said "disk full".  i tried burning the project to my 1TB hard drive that has 902 GB free.  why do you think it is saying disk full?  i have PE8 installed on my C drive which has only like 40 GB left, could that be the reason that its saying disk full?  cuz i know its good to have at least 50GB free.  would uninstalling PE8 and installing it to my 1 TB hard drive help that?  when burning to PC what is the best way to do it?  i noticed that there is "microsoft AVI" and "uncompressed AVI" under the AVI selection.  what is the difference between the 2?  if i am trying to burn it to a folder so i can start a new project and just bring that "pure AVI" project into the new project to burn to disc (legend has it that that works great) what is the best one to use?  i'm sorry, i have alot of questions cuz this stuff is beyond me.  i'm techno savvy but when it gets this deep, not so much.  thanks again for your help!!

Jeff

• 10. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                            jrrogers85 Level 1

and regarding the link to the post you sent me with the work around suggestions, this is what i've got:

in reference to suggestion 1, i havent been able to create the AVI file.  i tried going to share>burn to PC>AVI and tried both the "uncompressed AVI" and the "microsoft AVI" and both have stopped with errors, usually the "disk full" error.  when i tried burning it straight to a disc, it gave the the "transcoding error" at 2% everytime.  but i have yet to even be able to make a "pure" AVI file unfortunately.

in reference to suggestion 2, it kinda involves the answer to suggestion 1.  i havent even been able to burn it directly to my computer, usually for the "disk full" error reasons.  regarding this, i have a copy that i have been saving to saved to my 1TB hard drive with 900 GB free.  i am trying to burn to this hard drive so i don't know why its saying "disk full".  i installed PE8 on my C drive which has only about 40 GB left on it.  should i move that to my 1 TB drive and would that solve the "disk full" issue?

in reference to suggestion 3, my pc is scheduled to do the defragmentation automatically every wednesday morning, so it should be good in that regard.  i did a manual defragmentation today tho but it still gave me fits.

i hope this information i what your looking for when you say "respond to the questions i suggested" or whatever.  if its way off, i'm sorry, i might be retareded as you can probably tell.  thx so much for you help tho!  take care!!

Jeff

• 11. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

Ensure that your external drive is formatted NTFS rather than FAT32 (as they care when they come from the factory). FAT32 drives have a file size limit that can choke both Share to AVIs and Burn to Discs.

To see how your drive is formatted, open My Computer, right-click on the drive(s) and select Properties.

You can convert your drive to NTFS easily and with almost no risk to the data on the drive.

• 12. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                jrrogers85 Level 1

i clicked on the drives and such and went to properties but i didn't see anything involving NTFS or FAT32.  am i

doing something wrong with something this simple?!?!  i really hope not...  thanks again for all your help steve!

take care!!

Jeff

• 13. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In Windows Explorer/My Computer (not Internet Explorer), Rt-click on the drive in question. Choose Properties, and look for File System. That will tell you what the File System is. NTSF is what you want. If it says FAT-32, you will want to use the Convert CMD-line utility to convert the File System. Make special note of the exact drive name, in Properties, as you will need that info later. Note: capitalization is very important.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to this Microsoft search site and enter the following to learn how to convert fat32 to ntfs

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

convert fat ntfs

• 15. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                      jrrogers85 Level 1

ok, so i reinstalled PE8 on my 1 TB drive and moved everything over there.  i tried clearing some space on the internal hard drives to kinda clean up my computer.  i have 3 hard drives, 2 in my computer and 1 external.  my ACER (C:) drive (75 GB free) and my DATA (F:) drive (116 GB free) are the 2 internal hard drives that came with my computer.  my external hard drive is a 1 TB hard drive that has 800+ GB free so i moved everything over there.  my 2 internal hard drives are in NTFS format.  my external hard drive is in FAT32 format.  thats kinda the details with that step.  i hope thats the info you were looking for and i hope it helps.  thank you guys for all your help!!

Jeff

• 16. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

You should now be able to export an AVI of your video using Share/Personal Computer/AVI.

And let us know how things go with each step of your troubleshooting, including your source files.

I can't think of any reason this won't work!

• 17. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                          jrrogers85 Level 1

okay, so at this point i tried burning it to a folder on my hard drive in DV NTSC format (i forgot to change it to Microsoft AVI so i could do the "pure AVI" thing)  everything is now on my external hard drive that has 800+ GB free.  it got to about 49% and then stopped and displayed the "disk full error".  what the heck would still be causing that?  i did notice there that there is a break in the green rendering line at the top of the timeline.  for some reason a chunk of video about 1 minute long doesnt have a red or green line above it.  it sits about in the middle of my project (hence the 49%?)  that video is in DV format but all my other videos are too and they are working great.  i imported all my videos thru the same program and all have that line above it displayed that it has been rendered.  why no line and would that break in the render line cause an issue at all?  as far as source files, i have gobs of pics that are JPGS, some videos are DV, the others are MPEG4, and the songs are mostly MPEG4 but one or two is MP3.  thanks again!!  hope this helps!!

Jeff

• 18. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                            jrrogers85 Level 1

okay, so i tried burning it to my computer under share/personal computer/microsoft AVI and it went to 75% and then said "disc full error"  that certainly is alot farther than i have gotten before but still getting caught on the same thing.  the external hard drive has 800+ GB free but is in FAT32 format like i mentioned before.  could the FAT 32 thing mess with it that much?!  i am now completely lost, lol.  am i totally screwed?  thanks guys again for all your help!!

Jeff

• 19. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

Again, it's nearly impossible to say without knowing the information in the troubleshooting steps!

You say, for instance, you 're using JPEGs. Well, are these JPEGs sized to no larger than 1000x750 pixels?

Are your video files from standard, tape-based sources or non-standard video sources? (I'm particularly concerned about those MP4s!)

Is your timeline completely rendered?

• 20. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                                jrrogers85 Level 1

steve, i'm so sorry.  i'm trying my best and i'm still not giving you the proper info.  haha!  i'm so sorry.  yeah, my jpegs are sized like 3500x2200 and larger.  all of them are...  is that a problem?  if so how can i change that?  the videos came from my digital camera.  its a sony cybershot.  the videos themselves wouldnt work when i brought them straight into the timeline from my memory card so i used a program to change the format.  i still put them into mp4 format but i guess its a different dialect, so to speak, cuz they work great.  there were 2 other videos from someone elses digital camera.  it was less quality so they were jittery so i used the same program to format them to i think AVI, now they were well.  my timeline is completely rendered except for that little gap that i mentioned before.  one video doesnt have anything above it, neither a red nor a green line.  what is the deal with you think?  other than that everything renders great.  thanks again.  my debt to you grows larger, lol

Jeff

• 21. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

Jeff, it sounds like we're finally getting to what's wrong with your project. It's your source files! In fact, resizing those photos alone to 1000x750 pixels might well make all the difference. Our FAQ explains more and tells you what you can do about it.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

If that alone doesn't fix it, you may want to convert your videos to DV-AVIs, per this FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0What resolution should my photos be in Premiere Elements?

• 22. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                                    jrrogers85 Level 1

steve, you are the man!  okay, i have tons of those photos and a couple of those videos.  i have the program that i can easily change the videos to anything i want.  i have that MPEG streamclip one.  its a pretty cool program.  but as far as the jpegs go, i can't see the "process multiple files" option under the file drop down menu.  where is that at?  also, will i have to manually replace every picture with a down sized version of it or will the program automatically change that for me?  i sure hope so cuz i have several hundreds of pictures.  so, questions at this point: 1) where is the process multiple files thing?  cuz i couldnt find it under the file drop down menu.  2) will i have to manually replaced and pretty much re-do the whole project with the down sized photos or will PE8 automatically do that for me?  thanks so much again!!  i owe ya a vacation or sumpin.  you've helped me a ton!  take care!!

Jeff

• 23. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

The Process Multiple Files tool is under the File menu in Photoshop Elements, Jeff.

Virtually all of this is covered in my books in great detail, by the way.

• 24. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                                        jrrogers85 Level 1

how much are they and how do i get a hold of one?  I'm doing the photoshop thing right now but will i have to change out every single jpeg in my video in order to fix it?  thanks again for everything steve!!

Jeff

• 25. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

Just follow the link in my post or go to Amazon and type in my name.

As for resizing the JPEGs -- yeah, the downside is that you may need to go back in and tweak the relative sizes of each photo. Though ultimately, I'm not sure of any other solution. Sorry.

But give it a try and see how bad it is.

• 26. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                                            jrrogers85 Level 1

so i fixed all the photos but it was kinda nifty how i did it.  you know how when all your files are in a certain place your computer remembers where it is and keeps pulling them from that place on your hard drive, well, i noticed that if i ever moved that file elsewhere the computer would ask where a specific file was.  i wondered if i could get all those pics downsized then moved the original files so it'd ask me where those files were and then i'd tell the computer that its where the new, downsized pics were.  i wondered if it would completely change them.  turns out, it did.  it was pretty cool.  all the pics in my project tab are now 1000x700 or whatever.  pretty slick move i think, lol.  anyway.  i tried burning it now onto my computer to create a pure avi file and it still is telling me disc full at about 49%.  i have a couple .dv movies, a couple .avi movies, and 2 .m4v movies.  would any of these still be causing me issues?  should i just convert them all to .avi to be safe?  my pics are all fixed so its just my luck that it still wont work.  thanks so much steve!  i think we're getting there with this...

Jeff

• 27. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

Ensure that the your resized photos are replacing the links to the photos currently in your project.

And, yes, as I've said earlier, you will likely need to convert your video files if you are still not able to export your AVI.

Please re-read my posts, Jeff.

• 28. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                                                jrrogers85 Level 1

alright, i converted all the videos i had to AVI.  i did this at first using AVS Video Converter.  i did the first couple of videos this way and then one of them the audio wouldnt work so i re-did that one with MPEG Streamclip and did the last couple with that one as well.  when i right click on a photo in the timeline it has an option to open in Photoshop Elements and in that program, it says the resolution for the pics is 1000x700.  so it looks like everything is set and ready but i tried burning to folder and no go.  it got to 49% and said "compiling error, disc full".  i tried to think of everything i could to solve this problem cuz i know i'm probably one of the most annoying cases youve had but i am stumped.  all my pics are down sized to the proper resolution and all my movies are AVI.  my timeline is rendered.  everything is on my 800+ GB hard drive, my internal hard drives has 70+ and 140+ GB free.  i truly am stumped now.  could the AVS program be a crappy program cuz i've read other posts by you guys that recommend MPEG Streamclip.  when i burn it to a folder does it matter what option i choose under AVI?  you can do like DV NTSC Standard and things of that nature or Microsoft AVI.  whats the difference?  anyway, thanks so much for your help!  i thought i had it all figured out and changed to the appropriate stuff thanks to all your help but somewhere still my computer (maybe) is still giving me fits.  appreciate everything!  hope any of this info helps.  take care!!

Jeff

• 29. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                                                  jrrogers85 Level 1

hey, also, i remember the NTFS and the FAT32 thing.  my hard drive that is 1 TB is FAT32.  it has 800+ GB free.  could the FAT32 thing be messing with it that much?  i would hate to go thru and change all that stuff if it is unnecessary.  what do you think?

• 30. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

As we said above, yes, having your drive formatted FAT32 could well be the problem! FAT32 drives have a file size limit that is often smaller than video files.

Convert your drive to NTFS as soon as possible! You can usually do this with no risk to your existing data.

• 31. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                                                      jrrogers85 Level 1

okay, i got on the internet and read how to do it.  i typed in "convert e: /fs:ntfs /v" as the internet instructed but i keep getting this message: "access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.  you have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode."  i think i have an idea of what this means.  me just being a general user doesnt really have as many privilieges as the, i guess, "administrator of the computer...right?  how to i overcome this?

• 32. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!

I've note see the "/v" added to the command before -- but neither am I sure why you're getting this message.

Does your logon not have admin privileges?

• 33. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                                                          jrrogers85 Level 1

i went and checked the user accounts.  there is only one because i am the only one using this computer.  it said that i was the "administrator"  i wondered if that was the case too but it says that i'm the administrator but it still won't let me do it.

• 34. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                            will i have to change out every single jpeg in my video in order to fix it?

This ARTICLE will give you tips on using Actions in Photoshop to resize your stills in batch.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 35. Re: i need serious help!!  can't burn dvd or even export to my computer!!
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The CMD Line parameters can change OS version to OS version, but here is the XP-Pro Help listing on Convert:

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt

1. Open the Command Prompt window.

2. In the command prompt window, type

convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

Notes

To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.