8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 2:59 AM by funkysoul

Communication between flex and flash cs4 pro

IlyaG Level 1

I am connecting to facebook from flex and I wont to send the data that I am getting(image files) to flash cs4 pro, do you have any Idea about how can I do that?

• 1. Re: Communication between flex and flash cs4 pro
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6

What do you mean send data to Flash CS4 Pro? Flash CS4 is a desktop application on your machine. Usually you send data to a server. Just don't now what you mean here.

• 2. Re: Communication between flex and flash cs4 pro
            IlyaG Level 1

Flash CS4 pro gives me more options for creating complicated animations witch I would like to use in my Facebook app. One of the things that I wont to do is to put a photo of my Facebook user in to my app, I can use flex to get the image data, but I don't know how to send it to flash.

• 3. Re: Communication between flex and flash cs4 pro
              funkysoul Level 4

ok, so what you really want is to manipulate the image from facebook in you flex application.

You don't need (and actually you can't) move the image to flash CS4 (as peter already mentioned, Flash CS4 is a desktop application).

Rather you can create your animation with AS3 and apply that to the image with the mxml image id.

One other thing you can do is create a dummy (empty) animation in Flash, export that as a SWF file and dynamically add the loaded image to your swf.

Is that what you are searching for?

• 4. Re: Communication between flex and flash cs4 pro
                IlyaG Level 1

Why are you keep telling me that flash CS4 is a desktop application when you have the flash.net library with UrlLoader that you can use to load images from the net. Flash CS4 is much faster then Flex and you can create unlimited animations there, this is only logical to provide flash with tools to communicate with the net. The only question is: How do you do it?

• 5. Re: Communication between flex and flash cs4 pro
                  funkysoul Level 4

then if you know how to load an image with the URLLoader method.. why you create it with Flex? All the animations that you create with Flash CS4 can also be created with Flex.

And again, there is almost nothing that you can't do with Flex then you could with Flash.

• 6. Re: Communication between flex and flash cs4 pro
                    pauland Level 4

Flash CS4 is the development environment, not the flash runtime environment.

Flex is a development environment with a set of libararies that aren't aren't supplied in Flash CS4 and support for MXML.

Flash CS4 can use actionscript 3, as does Flex.

Flash and Flex both use the Flash player.

You really are going to be confused if I mention Flash Builder, which is the next version of Flex Builder..

• 7. Re: Communication between flex and flash cs4 pro
                      IlyaG Level 1

Because I don't know how to use the Facebook AS3 in flash to load images, this is why I wont to be able to speak with flex, he is more developed to communicate with the net, you can use the HTTPService class.

And you can't create shape tween with flex, and it will be easier to create motion tween in flash pro.

If you won't to build a really nice app you have to use both flex and flash.

• 8. Re: Communication between flex and flash cs4 pro
                        funkysoul Level 4

godilya

Apart from my personal thoughts about shape tweening, here you have a forum post from 2003 that shows how to create a shape tween with Actionscript, although it's AS2 it can easily be converted to AS3. There are many other tweening engines that enables you to create kickass animations (tweens) in combination with various bitmap effects. Creating a motion tween in flex or pure as is as easy as creating a motion tween in the flash cs4 IDE.

Absolutely if you want to create a nice app you are going to use both apps, it's just a manner of planning the data exchange between a dummy flash animation and the data sent to the swf.