9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 11:59 PM by VDOSurfer

Hardware or Software Encoding - Will a dedicated HD card be worth it?

Totallytotal Level 1

Hi,

I have just started using PE8. I wanted to get a project done quite quickly, so I havent bothered adding any effects or transitions etc. I have just moved all the footage to the timeline and started to make a DVD.

Its all working fine. But I feel that the encoding is very slow. I have switched of background rendering, but the GPU playback is still on.

From the task manager I can see that all 8(4 logical) cores are being used, but not to the max. I have a i7 920(overclocked to 3.4) and a Ati HD 4870(512Mb). I am currently running Cat. 9.6. I dont know if the GPU encoding is working or not.

Sinced the CPU cores are not being used to the max, it looks like some of the work might be runing on the GPU, but I dont know how to check that.

Would it be worth it to buy a separate encoding card like Matrox CompressHD? Will it work properly with PE8? Is anyone using one?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Hardware or Software Encoding - Will a dedicated HD card be worth it?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Rendering is a function of your processor, and Premiere Elements is a 32-bit program. The rendering speed your seeing is as fast as your computer will go with this program.

How efficiently the program renders is also related to how well your source video files are matched to your project settings. With a perfect match of project settings and source video (miniDV and the DV setting; HDV and the HDV setting) you'll require virtually no rendering at all. A badly mismatched set however (an AVCHD video in a DV project) will take hours!

Video from non-standard sources (like Flip and other pocket camcorders) can also take a very long time or often not render correctly at all. Converting the video to a more standard format will often resolve the issues, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

• 2. Re: Hardware or Software Encoding - Will a dedicated HD card be worth it?
            Totallytotal Level 1

Hi Steve,

You are right that the rendering is done by the processor. But this is encoding. Even encoding is done by the processor. In which case, my processor should be running flat out. But it is only used upto 33% or so. Is encoding and rendering the same thing?

I started the project at around 9am and it didn't finish(inc. final DVD) until like 1pm or 2pm. Is that normal?

Cheers

Dev.

• 3. Re: Hardware or Software Encoding - Will a dedicated HD card be worth it?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, "normal" is hard to say, without knowing what you're using as source footage and/or comparing it to my same experience on exactly the same system (which we can't do). But, yeah, that does sound excessive.

• 4. Re: Hardware or Software Encoding - Will a dedicated HD card be worth it?
                Kodebuster Level 3

I agree with Steve, not knowing the source video format and presets used with PE, makes it difficult.

I'm running PE7, an i7core 940, 12 gig of ram, Vista-64, and a Raid 0 drive configuration.

If my source is DV-AVI, Standard Definition of approx 90 minutes in length, a simple Menu, and a handful of Transitions, I can Encode, and Burn to Folder in approx 60 minutes.

If it's SD, and the Source and Presets are right, this dog can hunt (like the Road Runner on steriods).

The 8 threads of the i7core will clock between 40 and 80 percent during different phases of the Burn process...

• 5. Re: Hardware or Software Encoding - Will a dedicated HD card be worth it?
                  Totallytotal Level 1

I will try again. I have a JVC GZ-HD7 and Steve kindly explained how to import the footage from the camera onto the PC. But I did a different way. I connected the camcorder using an USB cable and copied all the .TOD files onto my video drive.

Then using PE8, I imported all the files I need using the PC Files and Folders option. Is it taking this long because its HD footage? If there is a screen shot you need to get more info, please let me know which one you want and I will attach it to the reply.

Cheers.

Dev

• 6. Re: Hardware or Software Encoding - Will a dedicated HD card be worth it?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Is it taking this long because its HD footage?

Yes.

Besides your CPU, the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, can play a role too. Tell us about your I/O, please. There might be some tweaks, that will help there too.

The only acceleration currently available is with the use of both PrPro CS4.1, or CS4.2, and the nVidia CX (CUDA) card, and that is only for H.264 encoding. About CS5 (64-bit program, when it is released) and the newest CUDA cards. I'd guess that this will not be until at least 2nd Quarter, 2010. Also, those nVidia cards are very expensive, though there is a US$300+/- add-in for certain nVidia cards.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Hardware or Software Encoding - Will a dedicated HD card be worth it?
                      Totallytotal Level 1

Hi Hunt,

At the moment, I have a 300GB Velociraptor as my OS and Apps drive. My other 2 drives are 500GB (data) and 1TB(Video) Seagate. My scratch disk setting are all on the 1TB. I am running Vista Home Premium 32bit, 6GB Ram.

I was trying to find some setting reagarding the current project I am working on and I managed to find that the

file format : i-frame only mpeg

compressor : mpeg iframe.

I am not allowed to change any of the settings to anything else.

Cheers.

Dev.

• 8. Re: Hardware or Software Encoding - Will a dedicated HD card be worth it?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Dev,

That I/O setup sounds good.

The beauty of I-frame MPEG is that you actually have all frames. You can edit that at a frame-level.

The bad side is that the files will take longer and be larger, but to me, that is offset by having the I-frame. Panasonic has been working on developing a full I-frame MPEG for their pro cameras. This is, IMO, the future of HD for editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Hardware or Software Encoding - Will a dedicated HD card be worth it?
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

But this is encoding. Even encoding is done by the processor. In which case, my processor should be running flat out. But it is only used upto 33% or so. Is encoding and rendering the same thing?

Two things:

This is encoding , in a sense. It is actually transcoding. Where the current video is first decoded and then re-encoded to the format in which the rendered files are stored. And yes, it is done by a processor. And you also had a question if an addition Matrox card.. That is purely for H264 encoding and we also need Adobe software to have the drivers so that the card is used that for all the H264 encoding

Processor running at 33% could be purely because there are only three cores! i7 is the chip architecture and not the number of cores. Similarly i5 and i3.

Doesn't solve your immediate problem.. but hope I answered you, at least technically.