4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2009 7:19 AM by inquestflash

masking an obgject with cc snow effect!!!(help)

inquestflash Level 1

hello to all!!

im stuck on a project of mine and surely would like  some one to help me out plssssss!

i want to mask into a crystal ball cc snow from the after efffects presets which u can find,i draw out a circle with  the pen tool but the snow appears on all the screen not just into the crystal ball.how can i get the snow fall just in the crystal ball??!?!??!

best regards.

• 1. Re: masking an obgject with cc snow effect!!!(help)
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Inquestflash: You would have to Pre-Compose the layer with CC Snow, before applying the Mask to the resulting Pre-Comp.

So, it would  be as follows:

1. Apply the CC Snow effect to the layer you want.

2. With just that layer selected, go to Layer > Pre-Compose (Command + Shift + C on Mac, Control + **** + C on Windows).

3. In the Pre-Compose dialog, make sure you select the second option ("Move all attributes into the new Composition").

4. Draw the circular Mask on the resulting Pre-Comp.

The reason why we're doing this is processing order: If you go right now and twirl open the layer with CC Snow in the timeline, you'll see property groups in this order: Masks,  Effects, Transform. This means that, for each frame, AE  applies masks first, then effects and then transform properties. The Mask can't restrict CC Snow because it's applied before the effect. By Pre-Composing, you're forcing everything inside the Pre-Comp to be processed before everything applied outside (For example, a Mask you add to the Pre-Comp).

• 2. Re: masking an obgject with cc snow effect!!!(help)
            inquestflash Level 1

dear Adolfo Rozenfeld may u have a great x-mass and a happy new year!ur a

life savour dude thanx a million!!!

best regards.

2009/12/5 Adolfo Rozenfeld <forums@adobe.com>

Inquestflash: You would have to Pre-Compose the layer with CC Snow, before

applying the Mask to the resulting Pre-Comp.

>

So, it would  follows:

>

1. Apply the CC Snow effect to the layer you want.

2. With just that layer selected, go to Layer > Pre-Compose (Command +

Shift + C on Mac, Control + **** + C on Windows).

3. In the Pre-Compose dialog, make sure you select the second option ("Move

all attributes into the new Composition").

4. Draw the circular Mask on the resulting Pre-Comp.

>

The reason why we're doing this is processing order: If you go right now

and twirl open the layer with CC Snow in the timeline, you'll see property

groups in this order: Masks,  Effects, Transform. This means that, for each

frame, AE  applies masks first, then effects and then transform properties.

The Mask can't restrict CC Snow because it's applied before the effect. By

Pre-Composing, you're forcing everything inside the Pre-Comp to be processed

before everything applied outside (For example, a Mask you add to the

Pre-Comp).

>

• 3. Re: masking an obgject with cc snow effect!!!(help)
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
              2. With just that layer selected, go to Layer > Pre-Compose (Command + Shift + C on Mac, Control + **** + C on Windows).

Evidently, I made a mistake when typing the name of the shift key

Thanks for the wishes. Same to you.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: masking an obgject with cc snow effect!!!(help)
                inquestflash Level 1

hello adoldo!

one more question if u dont mind,all is working well with the masking of the

cc snow,but!!!since im making a crystal ball with a x-mass tree in it,id

like for the cc snow mask to be transperant with no background,because its

overlaping the x-mass tree.so is it possible for the cc snow to be masked in

a circle but with no background?so image your making a snow crystal globe:

http://www.oneter.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/005_b.jpg<http://www.oneter.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/005_b.jpg>

how wold to make the snow not over lapping the x-mass tree.

thank you again.

2009/12/6 Adolfo Rozenfeld <forums@adobe.com>

2. With just that layer selected, go to Layer > Pre-Compose (Command +

Shift + C on Mac, Control + **** + C on Windows).

Evidently, I made a mistake when typing the name of the shift key

Thanks for the wishes. Same to you.

>