2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2009 1:35 AM by Mylenium

Font grouping

neviusaga

Hello everyone, I'm curious if there's a way to group fonts together in Illustrator (or any other CS4 programs for that matter). The default fonts seem to be grouped into UPC, Asian/foreign languages, and everything else which made me wonder if the user can specify groups of fonts as well. For example, being able to keep all added graffiti style fonts in a group, or all wingding fonts in a group, etc. would make scrolling through fonts to decide on one more convenient. Does anyone have an idea if that's possible? I haven't had much luck finding out either way. Thanks for reading!

Adobe Master Collection CS4 Windows

• 1. Re: Font grouping
          Harron K. Appleman Level 4

I am not aware of any way to customize Illustrator's built-in font grouping (and I would be surprised to learn there is a way), but it sounds like you could use a font manager application.

A font manager enables you to build your own "sets" of fonts, using any criteria you choose. Those sets can then be activated as needed rather keeping all fonts active all the time.

This is particularly advantageous if you have a lot of fonts. Since fonts that are not in active sets are essentially not installed as far as the OS is concerned, you reduce some system overhead and might benefit from a bit of performance increase. (At the very least, programs, like Illustrator, that enumerate all installed fonts at startup will load more quickly.)

A Google search with keyphrase 'font manager' will turn up a number of choices. I cannot make any specific recommendations because my font manager is the now-defunct Adobe Type Manager Deluxe -- a program I will miss if and when I upgrade from XP.

• 2. Re: Font grouping
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You cannot change specific Unicode/ OpenType features (including font family and region), as it would require to modify the font itself, nor can you influence how most programs present their font lists (since they are populated dynamically and don't work on static font groups). Using a font manager should help you in organizing your fonts, though. Sophisticated ones like Extensis Suitcase can easily manage a bazillion of them and enable/ disable sets on the fly. Suitcase will even go so far as to allow you to have most non-system fonts disabled and then auto-enable it when you drag its preview into an application program...

Mylenium