11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2009 7:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Cannot set preferences

LesBardots

I have been following the cannot restart pre 8 and the auto-analyze threads so I went to preferences to turn auto-analyze off but pre stalls. I get a little grey screen saying "Loading.." and that's it. Only way out is to use task manager to turn pre off. Tried the preferences files rename thing and have completly removed and re-installed everything. Am using Win 7 with 8 GB ram, 1 terrabyte HD and and an i7 processor. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Cannot set preferences
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

At what point does Premiere Elements stall?

It sounds as though you are able to launch the Organizer, if you're turning off the Auto Analyzer. Are you opening Premiere Elements before or after you do this?

It's not clear from your post what's happening and what's not happening when.

• 2. Re: Cannot set preferences
            LesBardots Level 1

I start organizer from the welcome screen. I then select edit>preferences>any preference. The small grey square come up with the "Loading...." message and that's it, it hangs up and does nothing. I do no go into Premier Elements itself. I can get into Premier Elements if I don't try and set the preferences. Most everything else works so long as I do not try and set preferences.

• 3. Re: Cannot set preferences

Does your Organizer open completely, with all of your files appearing in the photo browser?

What happens if you open Premiere Elements first, then the Organizer and THEN you try to set the Organizer's preferences?

• 4. Re: Cannot set preferences
                LesBardots Level 1

Steve

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes organizer opens normally and I can add files and do organizer stuff.

If I open elements first and then select organizer and then try to do preferences I have the same problem. Just locks up with the little grey square saying "Loading...". In the task manager organizer is running using 13% CPU. Almost looks like it's trying to open the preferences file but I would expect some sort of error if it was not found.

I have tried renaming the subdirectory in question as per the Adobe recommendations (about instability)  but it made no difference. One thing to note is that when I installed elements for the first time and it started it up it went to the welcome screen and crashed immediately. It then shut down and asked to send crash info to Adobe. It subsequently restarted OK. I have reinstalled twice since then with the same thing happening. Maybe it's not installing properly. I am running Win 7.

• 5. Re: Cannot set preferences

Assuming you're not using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or there is nothing else non-standard you haven't mentioned in this thread, I'm stumped. I have no idea why this is happening.Sorry.

• 6. Re: Cannot set preferences
                    LesBardots Level 1

Steve

I believe I am using the 64 bit windows. I have the i7 processor with 8 cores. Do you think this is an issue?

• 7. Re: Cannot set preferences

It could well be. Windows 7 64-bit is, as I've said, still relatively new, and the 64-bit drivers aren't yet fully compatible with 32-bit programs. Strange behavior is still rather common.

You can increase the odds all things will work by making sure you have the latest RealTek drivers and the latest firmware for your ATI or nVidia video card from their respective web sites.

• 8. Re: Cannot set preferences
                        LesBardots Level 1

Great advice, I should have recognized that 64 bit could be a potential issue. The machine is a brand new Dell but I will look into the drivers. I have a case number and if Adobe has any useful insight  I'll post it. Many thanks for the help.

• 9. Re: Cannot set preferences
                          LesBardots Level 1

I have posted this in Photoshop Elements but it solved the organizer preferencesproblem as well.

I hr and 30 minutes with customer service, tech support and super tech support and the supper tech support guy solved it in 5 minutes.

I have had the same problem(photoshop edit not working)  but I managed to get into technical support and they solved my problem. This is what they had me do:

Go to C:\Windows\twain_32  (this is Windows 7 only)

Cut and paste everything that is in the twain_32 folder except for wiatwain.ds and paste it on the desktop

Caution: for me this was a Dell subfolder and BrMfSc09b folder. This may differ for your system so be carefull. I was told that these are windows drivers and if they were needed windows would find them. (?)

Then restart photoshop.

Bingo.

In addition I asked about a couple of other problems. I could not get into preferences in organizer it would just sit there. It solved that problem as well.

And thirdly my system was crashing when Premier Elements was burning a DVD. Apparently this is a known bug. Work around (I am told, I have not tried this) is to do a WVM (?)  to disk  file and then burn it to DVD using other software. Kinda makes sense until I try it.

So apart from random crashes I am good for now.

• 10. Re: Cannot set preferences
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I have a case number and if Adobe has any useful insight  I'll post it.

I'd not post your Adobe case number here. Adobe personnel will not see it, though many others will. It will do not good, but there is a slight potential that it could do some harm.

That case is directly with Adobe, and with you, and I'd advise you to keep it there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Cannot set preferences
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for posting what worked for you. That will help others in the future.

Hunt