18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 3:48 PM by A.T. Romano

Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD

Dodger-101

Hi all,

I got a Full HD Camcorder with 1920x1080 resolution. All my material is in that quality. I am desprately trying to Burn in HD quality to a normal DVD. Is that possible with Premiere Elements 8?

Burning to Blu Ray is not an option since I got not Blu Ray recorder.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Gunther

• 1. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you have not got a BluRay player, you will not be able to play even a standard DVD with hi-def (BluRay) video on it. You understand that, right?

DVD is DVD. That's standard 720x480 resolution. You can't increase the resolution and still have something that will play on a DVD player.

• 2. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
            Dodger-101 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answer. That is absolutely clear. I do have a BluRay player attached to my TV. And I want to burn the HD material on a DVD. I did that with theSoftware that came with the camcorder and it worked fine. Now I am trying the same with PSE 8.

Cheers

Gunther

• 3. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try going to Share/Personal Computer and selecting the MPEG option. From the preset drop-down, choose H.264 1440x1080i 30 fps (assuming you're in NTSC land).

Once you create this file (and assuming it is less than 4.7 gig so that it will fit on a DVD disc), use your computer's burner software to burn it to a disc.

It won't have menus, but it should play on your BluRay player and, assuming your project settings and source video is hi-def, should produce a full hi-def picture.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                VDRAVES Level 1

This is an old thread, but I have the same question - AVCHD video created with an HD preset that I want to publish to a DVD.  I am using Premiere Elements 10 so the Share/Personal Computer options are slightly different.  Would this be equivalent to what you suggested above:

Share/Personal Computer/MPEG preset MPEG2 1440x1080i 30

When I used the Share/Disc/DVD the resulting video was pixelated when played back through a blu-ray player to an HD TV.  I am mass producing copies of the video and am only offering a DVD version at this time.

• 5. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                  VDRAVES Level 1

I tried the Share/Personal Computer/MPEG with preset MPEG2 1440x1080i 30

It will not fit on a DVD, 36 minutes so file is too large.

Do I have another option?

• 6. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

VDRAVES

This thread was written back in 2009 and related to Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 which did not offer Share/Disc/AVCHD. You have version 10 (apparently on Windows 8.1 64 bit) that does offer Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD with the disc choice, so why not use it with the burn preset of H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby not 1440 x 1080i NTSC Dolby? You can use a DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes disc or, if need be, a DVD double layer single sided disc 8.5 GB/240 min. And, you can have menus. Like Blu-ray, the stop markers do not work in the playback of AVCHD DVD. Pay close attention to the burn dialog's Quality area Space Required and Bitrate, watching for any significant drop in bitrate from the max of about 15.49 Mbps when using the option "Fit Content to Available Space" That is your signal that enough is enough.

Please remind me, are you using source video of 1920 x 1080 16:9  or 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9...both end up with a display of 1920 x 1080....

a. The project preset should match the properties of the source media. So, for 1920 x 1080 source, you select a 1920 x 1080 project preset. And, if you are using a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, you use a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16;9 project preset.

b. However, when it comes to Share/Computer/ or Share/Disc/AVCHD, you should be using one of the export presets described for 1920 x 1080, not 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9. That was true in 2009 as well as in 2015. This works to avoid any possible dependency on the player recognition of the 1440 x 1080 file's 16:9 flag which is need to stretch the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

You wrote

When I used the Share/Disc/DVD the resulting video was pixelated when played back through a blu-ray player to an HD TV.  I am mass producing copies of the video and am only offering a DVD version at this time.

Did you really mean Share/Disc/DVD? Did you actually ever try for Share/Disc/AVCHD with the disc choice?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                      VDRAVES Level 1

Source is AVCHD 1920x1080 16:9 with project preset of HD 1080i

(1920x1080).  Timeline is approximately 36 minutes.  Do not need menus.

I will try Share/Disc/AVCHD with preset H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby.

Space required 4.2GB(Bitrate 14.21mbps)

I really meant Share/Disc/DVD with preset as NTSC_WIDESCREEN_DOLBY DVD.

This option created the DVD that was pixelated when viewed on the blu-ray

player on HD TV.

Thanks for the help.  I'll let you know if this one looks any better.

Valerie Draves

Video by Valerie <http://facebook.com/videobyvalerie>

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 4:59 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                        VDRAVES Level 1

So using Share/Disc/AVCHD with preset H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby worked

great.  It plays beautifully on my blu-ray player to my High Definition TV.

Part 2,  this disc does not play on my DVD player.  Is there any way to get

the best of both worlds - a DVD that will play unpixelated on both

configurations?  or do I need to go back to the parents and ask if they

will be playing on standard definition TV or high definition TV?

Valerie Draves

• 9. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                          VDRAVES Level 1

One more piece of information, when I Share/Disc/DVD with preset as

NTSC_WIDESCREEN_DOLBY DVD I noticed that the bitrate is 8.00Mbps.  Is that

part of the problem with the playback on the HD TV?

Valerie Draves

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Valerie Draves <vdraves82@gmail.com>

• 10. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

VDRAVES

Although 8.00 Mbps is the maximum bitrate for the Premiere Elements burn to  DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, remember that

that burn to uses a variable bitrate so that the actual bitrate of the burn to can be less and vary.

However, I believe the focus is the resolution as well as any bitrate considerations.

For NTSC DV Widescreen 16:9, you have 720 x 480 which is stretched by a 16:9 flag to 856 x 480 for display after encoding.

For the AVCHD format on DVD, you have the opportunity for 1920 x 1080, no flag for display after encoding.

Miscellaneous...higher resolution and higher bitrate

In the case of AVCHD format on DVD, you are again working with the variable bitrate with a max of about 15 Mbps.

And for all intents and purposes, bitrate x duration of clip = file size.

Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is interlaced video. Not sure what your HD TV would be doing with regard to interlaced

and progressive. But Premiere Elements 10 DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and AVCHD on DVD are both interlaced video with 29.97 interlaced frame per second as the frame rate..

In later versions, you do get the opportunity for AVCHD on DVD with a progressive preset (then the frame rate is fixed at 23.94 progressive frames

per second).

You should be seeing a superior end product with AVCHD on DVD disc with its higher resolution and higher variable bitrate.

ATR

• 11. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                              P1965 Level 1

Just a suggestion and opinion for an alternative to HD DVD without menus, this is what I tried:

(using PRE 11), I output the project using the AVCHD setting @ H.264 1920X1080i 30 fps to a file. Transfer that file to a USB Flash drive, then plug USB drive into TV USB input.  On a 60' Samsung 1080p TV, the result was excellent and as good as the HD DVD created with the program, in fact dark contrast was improved. However, some of the motion effects were ever so very slightly "jittery', (hardly noticeable)

A roughly 35 min video was about 6.5 G, note the Flash will have to be formatted NTFC before this data size will work.

• 12. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Why did you not use a Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080p30?

What did that look like on your 60' Samsung 1080p TV using the TV USB input?

ATR

• 13. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                                  P1965 Level 1

ATR,

1) Don't really have an answer on the output setting (using 1080i not 1080p) as it was mostly an experimental process, ... following some menu issues with an exported DVD.  However, I will try that setting as well.  See if it makes it just that much smoother.

2) As for the appearance, to me it looks absolutely excellent, just like blue-ray quality. Especially when considering that over 2000 images, video, effects, transitions and sound tracks were created in PRE for the final result.  (some very complicated effects too)

Also, every image and video segment in the video was cropped and or reduced via P Shop (as per suggested settings)  All in all, granted I have old eyes, very impressed with quality.

Steve

• 14. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                                    VDRAVES Level 1

Sorry, one more monkey-wrench to throw in.  I tried playing the

"Share/Disc/DVD with preset as NTSC_WIDESCREEN_DOLBY DVD" on my standard

size TV (square) and noticed it is cutting off the sides.  The TV and the

DVD player neither have a zoom or picture size setting.  Do you have

another suggestion for a setting for that size TV?  Hopefully noone has

that setup anymore, but you never know.

Thanks.

Valerie Draves

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Valerie Draves <vdraves82@gmail.com>

• 15. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                                      csvideo Level 1

I do exactly what you are talking about, although I have pre11.  You need to do a share to a disk, then choose avchd and then burn to a folder.  Then choose a 4.7 GB folder.  You will get files that you can then burn to a standard DVD using a standard burner.  You get 1920 X 1080 def on a standard dvd.  Only srawback is that you can only get about 20 minutes on a disk.

However, I have been having some problems with this and have been posting some questions.  But, try it.

• 16. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

VDRAVES

For your clients with a 4:3 TV situation with no TV or player adjusts, I am not seeing a way for them to view your 16:9 product without cut offs.

In this type of situation, you could get your whole video in by taking the 16:9 footage into Premiere Elements 10 with a forced setting of NTSC DV Standard 4:3

and then scaling it so that you had black borders at top and bottom of the image - in a sense turning a possible liability into an artistic perk of "cinematic look".

Then burn to disc with a NTSC Standard preset. But such a scheme would seem to put the majority of your clients at a disadvantage.

Please review and let me know if I have interpreted your question correctly.

More later.

ATR

• 17. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

csvideo

You should not have to burn to folder to get a AVCHD format on DVD disc. The Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc does work in your Premiere Elements 11.

This thread originated in 2009 with a Premiere Elements 8 user (no burn to AVCHD on DVD at that time).

I will look for your other thread in which you say you were asking help on the same or similar matter.

ATR

• 18. Re: Trying to burn Full HD Videos on DVD
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

csvideo

I found your thread

Compiling Media gives a Device ERROR at 99% in PE 11

and will be preparing a reply within the next few hours or sooner.

ATR