7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 12:31 PM by Claudio González

Getting Pagemaker 7.0 to start in Mac Classic OS 9.2.2

Larrynm Level 1

I recently upgraded a Mac Power PC G4 from OS 10.3 to 10.4, and installed OS 9.2.2 as the OS 9 system for operation in the "Classic" mode.  But now Pagemaker will not start up in classic mode - it stalls after a couple of screens.  I can run Pagemaker if I restart the computer in OS 9.1, but Classic mode will not open with OS 9.1 - it stalls after a couple of screens.  I can solve my problem by either:

- Convincing Pagemaker to run in Classic under OS 9.2.2, or

- Convincing the computer to start Classic running OS 9.1.

Any thoughts?

LarryNM

• 1. Re: Getting Pagemaker 7.0 to start in Mac Classic OS 9.2.2
          Michael Gianino Level 4

I used to visit the PageMaker forum regularly, but I probably haven't been here more than two or three times in the last few years. The reason is because, like yourself, I use a Mac. PM seems to be OK on a few flavors of Windows, but since Apple stopped supporting OS9, PM has been called "zombie-ware" (dead, but still walking the earth).

If you could read the posts from the time when people used Classic Mode, every other one was about how badly PM runs in Classic. Most of the advise was that if you want to run PM on a Mac, find a Mac that will boot in OS9 without having to use Classic Mode. You can probably get one for $50 without having to look very hard.

If you have thousands of PM files that you have top tweak at the rate of one every other month, it may make sense to stay with PM, so I'd recommend the $50 Mac. If you do more page layout than that, I'd recommend InDesign for creating new files, and you can even open PM files, but check the ID forum for issues on conversion of PM files to ID.

• 2. Re: Getting Pagemaker 7.0 to start in Mac Classic OS 9.2.2
            Larrynm Level 1

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your perceptive reply!  My version of Pagemaker seems 

to run well under OS9.1 when I use that as the startup disk.  But for 

some reason, under OS10.4, I can't get Classic to start up with 

OS9.1, only OS 9.2.  If I could get Classic to start up under OS 9.1, 

then it looks as if I could run Pagemaker in Classic mode, which 

would certainly be more convenient than having to switch to OS 9.1 

every time I want to access a Pagemaker file.  Any clue as to why 

Classic won't start in OS9.1 under OS10.4?  It looks as if it starts 

to load and then immediately stalls.

Thanks,

Larry

• 3. Re: Getting Pagemaker 7.0 to start in Mac Classic OS 9.2.2
              Michael Gianino Level 4

I couldn't say for sure. I keep my old G3 with OS9.2 in the other room for anything I need to tweak in Quark 4 or PM, and I don't think Classic will even install on my Intel MacBook Pro, so I can't really be of much help.

Are you launching Classic Mode by launching PM, or do you launch Classic first, then PM? I think most people say launching Classic first is the way to go.

Larrynm wrote:

My version of Pagemaker seems 

to run well under OS9.1 when I use that as the startup disk.  But for 

some reason, under OS10.4, I can't get Classic to start up with 

OS9.1, only OS 9.2.

So, you were using 9.1 with 10.3, but 10.4 will only let you run 9.2? I don't know if 10.4 is restricting 9.1 or if it's an installation problem. If it's the former, you might not be able to use 10.4 with PM. If it's the latter, you would need to find out what bits of 10.4 and 9.1 aren't playing well together (which I don't think I can help you with, sorry).

And since your G4 seems to be running OK (my G3 is 10 years old now, and still runs well), I'd consider getting something else to run OSX, and keep the G4 for OS9 (without using Classic Mode). Intel Macs have been out for a few years, so you could probably get a used one fairly cheap, if buying a new one is an issue. Either that or just live with the hassle of rebooting into real OS9 when you have a PM job.

But then, who knows…there are plenty of smart people out there who could possibly have a solution for you. Good luck.

• 4. Re: Getting Pagemaker 7.0 to start in Mac Classic OS 9.2.2
                Larrynm Level 1

Hi Michael,

I launch Classic first, making sure that OS9 is up and running, and 

then launch PM.

Thanks again,

Larry

• 5. Re: Getting Pagemaker 7.0 to start in Mac Classic OS 9.2.2
                  Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

I still keep an old G4/400 running 10.3.8 for the occasional PageMaker file I am still asked to open and/or update. For just opening, or very minor changes on a single file, I double click on the file, Classic starts, and I can do what I wanted, However, I have a 7 GB partition with Mac OS 9.2.2 where I keep my original PageMaker 6.5.2, and I reboot from this partition for any non minor work in PM. Everything works just fine in 9.2.2.

• 6. Re: Getting Pagemaker 7.0 to start in Mac Classic OS 9.2.2
                    Larrynm Level 1

Thanks!  Interesting!  When I try to launch Pagemaker 7.0 (which is 

what I have) in OS 9.2.2 it starts, I get a couple of screens, and 

then loading stops.  But PM launches fine in OS 9.1.  However, OS 

10.4, which I normally run, doesn't like OS 9.1 in Classic mode, so I 

have to reboot and launch OS 9.1 as native when I want to run 

Pagemaker.  Workable, but a pain!

Larry

• 7. Re: Getting Pagemaker 7.0 to start in Mac Classic OS 9.2.2
                      Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

More interesting: if I remember correctly, there w

ere almost no differences between the 6.5.2 and 7.0 versions of PageMaker for the Mac.

Extra linefeed kindly provided by the software.