10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 4:21 PM by the_wine_snob

BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors

Pemier Elements

The Premier Elements fail open H.264 AVCHD files from Canon HF 200 camcorder. 

1.When I try open media then "Open File Dialog" display files propely but when I click to selet any of my video files then list of files become blank. Actually I found way now to add my vieo files to the Premier Media Browser. It just need certanly define path and file name in Open File dialog.

2. When I click on video file in the Media Browser to add it in time line then Premier Elements open "Open File Dialog" again and ask me locate media.

3. When I choose same media file then it display to me that "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed".

I saw in specification that Premier Elements support H.264 and AVCHD format. Also my media player can play that format properly so codecs is installed and  Premier Elements must be able to recognize format and load fiels properly.

P.S. I attached steps with screenshots that such nasty behavior from  Premier Elements

P.P.S. That is very strange that  Premier Elements allows add "unsupported" files. I think that is another logical bug in application.

• 1. Re: BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say which version of the software you're using -- but assuming it's version 7 or 8, it definitely should work with an AVCHD camcorder.

Assuming your system has the necessary resources and at least 30+ gigs of free, defragmented hard drive space, that your operating system has all of the Windows Updates, including the non-critical ones, and htat you have the latest Quicktime, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Something is wrong.

• 2. Re: BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors
            Pemier Elements Level 1

I'm using

1. Windows 7 Ultimate + All patches installed

2. Adobe Premier 8 trial version. Which was downloaded several hours ago from Adobe site

3. I don't think that is important but I have installed DivX 7.0

My hardware:

1. Notebook Lenovo T61 (2.4Hz/3Gb/160Gb/Intel Integrated Video card)

2. I have 1,8 Gb Phizical Memory avaliable and 60Gb hard drive free space

My previous post certainly desribe that Adobe Premiere Elements does not support AVCHD camcorders.

Alsow tested Sony "240GB HD Handycam® Camcorder" and Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 on Vista and I've got same result

Configuration:

1.  Windows Vista Ultimate + All patches installed

2. Adobe Premier 8 trial version. Which was downloaded several hours ago from Adobe site

3. I don't think that is important but it has installed DivX 7.0

Hardware:

1. Notebook Sony Vaio (1.8Hz/2Gb/160Gb/Intel Integrated Video card)

2. It has ~1 Gb Phizical Memory avaliable and 80Gb hard drive free space

P.S. I found discussion with recomendation forget about Adobe Premier and use coverter to convert video stream or use other company products - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605?tstart=0. If I will not solve this problem then I will be obligate follow their recomendations.

• 3. Re: BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors
              Pemier Elements Level 1

I attached example of video file.

I have latest Quick time installed without iTines. I have reinstalled software twice on both computers but unsucessfull.

Do you have any other recomendations?

UPD: Vegas Movie Studio HD 9.0 and Corel VideoStudio 12 works perfect on my computer. Actually Corel VideoStudio 12 works very fast.

• 4. Re: BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

G-spot iddentifies this as an MPEG2 rather than an AVCHD file. It also can't identify the codec.

The file must be an AVCHD or HDV-MPEG2 in order to load into the program.

Beyond that, I can't offer you any advice. Hope someone else can.

• 5. Re: BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors
                  Pemier Elements Level 1

It is absolutely VCH content!!! For example Vegas Movie Studio HD show me following information:

General
                      Name:            20091202195927.mts
                      Folder:          C:\Temp

Type:            MPEG-2 Transport Stream
                      Size:            2.04 MB (2,088,960 bytes)
                      Created:         2 december 2009 г., 21:44:50
                      Modified:        2 december 2009 г., 19:59:30
                      Accessed:        2 december 2009 г., 21:44:50
                      Attributes:      Archive

Streams
                      Video:           00:00:02.503, 29.970 fps interlaced, 1440x1080x12, AVC  <= HERE IS VIDEO STREAM CODEC. Resolution is describe that it is HD content

Audio:           00:00:02.503, 48,000 Hz, Stereo, Dolby AC-3

ACID information
                      ACID chunk:      no
                      Stretch chunk:   no
                      Stretch list:    no
                      Stretch info2:   no
                      Beat markers:    no
                      Detected beats:  no

Other metadata
                      Regions/markers: no
                      Command markers: no

Media manager
                      Media tags:      no

Plug-In
                      Name:            m2tsplug.dll
                      Folder:          C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio HD 9.0\FileIO Plug-Ins\m2tsplug
                      Format:          Sony M2TS
                      Version:         Version 1.0 (Build 2576)
                      Company:         Sony Creative Software Inc.

• 6. Re: BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    1.When I try open media then "Open File Dialog" display files propely but when I click to selet any of my video files then list of files become blank. Actually I found way now to add my vieo files to the Premier Media Browser. It just need certanly define path and file name in Open File dialog.

If this means, what I take it to mean, you are trying to Open the video files. What you Open is your Project file, .prel. The media files are then either Captured, or Imported, via Get Media.

This ARTICLE will give you some background on the differences between the Project files, .prel, and the media files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors
                      Chad Baker Adobe Employee

Did you say you're using the trial version? Certain functionality is disabled in trial versions of the video applications due to licensing issues with third party technology components.

From the system requirements page for PRE8:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/systemreqs/

Import/export of some formats, including AVCHD, DVD, Blu-ray, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and H.264, may require activation or download of components via an Internet connection. Activation or download is fast, easy, and free. Import/export of 3GP, 3GP2, MOV, MPEG-4, and QuickTime requires QuickTime software.

• 8. Re: BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Did you say you're using the trial version? Certain functionality is disabled in trial versions of the video applications due to licensing issues with third party technology components.

Chad,

The limitation of the trial of PrPro IS the total lack of MPEG (anything), including a trial of Encore, and that is due to the licensing issues with MainConcept.

Now, I believe that the trial of PrE does include MPEG support, though all output is watermarked with the 'Created in Adobe Premiere Elements," which can only be removed by purchasing the full-paid version, making some adjustments to the Project and re-Exporting. Maybe Steve will correct me, if this policy has changed.

Now, why MPEG support would be in PrE trial, but not in PrPro trial, is beyond my knowledge. Maybe with the watermarking, MainConcept gave Adobe an exemption for the PrE trial?

Also, though Adobe does a great job at "hiding" their CODEC's, through special naming conventions, it is still common for other software installations to smurf the installed Adobe CODEC's. Often, this is at the Registry level, and often has to do with establishing priorities for the new program's CODEC's. Usually, a Repair Installation, or an uninstall/reinstall of the Adobe product will fix these things.

Hunt

• 9. Re: BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors
                          Chad Baker Adobe Employee

Thanks for the clarification Hunt. I just picked up PRE as one of my products, and still have PPRO on the brain.

• 10. Re: BUG: Fail open MTS (AVCHD) files from CANON HF200 and and unexpeced behaviors
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Chad,

I understand completely. I use PrPro mostly, along with Encore. I also spend time on all fora. I get so confused sometimes, and always have to open the particular program, just to make sure that I am not confusing things. Here, Steve spends most of his time correcting me, when I give a poster PrPro tips! He always gives me a gentle nudge, "Hunt, that might be how it works in PrPro, or Encore, but not in PrE." I really get confused, when I talk about PSE, as I have used PS for decades, but have only read of PSE. I know some of the things that it does, and some that it does not do, compared to PS, but don't even have it to check things out.

Also, PrE 8 has made some major changes, and I have to try and learn about it, as I only have PrE 4 to check on.

Thanks for the contributions,

Hunt