4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 6:18 PM by whatalotofrubbish

Points to pixels - How?

whatalotofrubbish Level 1

I have a client who wants his line thickness to be 3 points. He also says that this is is 1.06mm when his logo is 100mm in height.

Just how the hight of the logo affects the line thickness I do not know, unless he wants to set it at this width so that if the logo is enlarged or reduced it will look in proportion.

Is there a formula that translates points to pixels?

I am working at 600 dpi on a logo that is 910 pixels high. What should my line thickness be?

My calculations indicate that at this resolution, 1.06mm would equate to 25.039 pixels.

This seems a bit on the large size, or am I, as I suspect, missing something?

Help please

Howard Walker

• 1. Re: Points to pixels - How?
          pixlor Level 4

There is no correspondence of points to pixels, since the number of pixels used for a particular resolution will vary - considerably - by device.

If you are designing a project where the end product is to be printed, use a print-centric application (Illustrator, InDesign) and set your measurements in points. But set your dpi after you know the resolution of the output device and if you need its full resolution. (If you're printing flyers for people to hold in their hands, you need higher resolution. If you're printing banners to be viewed across the freeway, you can use lower resolution.)

If you are designing a project where the end product is to be viewed on screen (such as a Web page), then you need to design in pixels, not points. The output devices (monitors) produce colored dots in pixels. Pixels as points have no common reference point across all devices, so there can be no common conversion. Read these two articles and encourage your client to, as well:

http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

http://www.code-magazine.com/Article.aspx?quickid=060083 (but ignore the bits about WPF, and the author's "Microsoft should" statements, as those aren't relevant to your question)

• 2. Re: Points to pixels - How?

Many thanks for the information.

Unfortunately due to the excessive price of the full CS4 suite in the UK, I

could only afford to purchase the Web suite, which does not have either of

these programs. I will look through my earlier programs and see if they are

capable of doing the job.

As the end result has to be print and screen compatible, then I will have to

produce two versions.

Best wishes

Howard Walker

• 3. Re: Points to pixels - How?
              pixlor Level 4

Then you might look at Inkscape, which is free, and can produce vector graphics you can use in print documents as well as in Fireworks.

http://www.inkscape.org/

Fireworks is not the best application to use to design a vector logo in. FW is intended for screen graphics, it is not a general drawing/illustration tool.

• 4. Re: Points to pixels - How?

I agree, but I use what I have. Looks like so many people have read your

post that the Inkscape site is swamped. Will try a download later. Thanks a

lot.

Howard