8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 8:10 AM by dan_public2

Advice for an effective/capable AVCHD editing system!

JayZ_WA Level 1

Initially, I was looking to buy a pre-configured system - but, it seemed for the most part, I would be compromising on the components for a similar price.  For example, I could get an HP Pavilion e9280/e9290 (NY558AA#ABA) for about $1200-1300 or spend just a bit more for higher performance & customized components.

While I have knowledge from 10 years of corporate IT hardware sales - this gave me little experience with system building, but I have confidence! 

I just need some initial assistance with components - I read a lot of info so far on various builds from this forum but wanted to seek some advice as I move forward.  I will be editing AVCHD files from my Canon Vixia HFS100 - what my current laptop can’t begin to work with!  I will be using Premiere Elements.

Can you provide some advice, I would certainly appreciate it.  I am not necessarily looking for top of the line - cost effective (no, now I didn't say budget since that's the opposite of avchd!) and capable based on this use!

Case - Cooler Master Elite 335

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119161

Power Supply - Antec CP-850 850W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371024

Mobo - Asus P6T SE LGA 1366 X58

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131386

Processor - Intel Core i7-920

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

CPU Cooler necessary?

Ram - 6-12GB

Suggestions to look for?  Corsair?  OCZ?

Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint F3 - 3x1TB + 1x500GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

-> Any other recommendations? Hitachi, Western Digital - yes, no green drives!  Is the recommendation to use a smaller drive (like a 500GB) for a system drive and 3 others for scratch and project drives set up with RAID?

Graphics - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD5770 1GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447

-> Other recommendations?  Seems the consensus was for the 5770 - does the mfr of the board matter?

Other:

DVD Burner - TBD (Recommendations)

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Iogear GCS932U - KVM

Sabrent CRW-UINB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820300608

Currently, I backup to an HP Mediasmart Server but that wouldn’t likely be fast enough to use for anything but just that, an external backup.  Although I will backup the computer drives to this server and again to an external drive.

This system will only be used for video editing (or, maybe Lightroom use too) otherwise, I will continue to use my laptop for all other day to day use.  The only other thing I considered is using a TV tuner card on this and having another separate drive that I could use to watch/record tv … but that’s quite secondary - puts the computer to use when I am doing work on laptop!

Again, I know this is a rough start but I would greatly appreciate your advice/feedback/considerations.

• 1. Re: Advice for an effective/capable AVCHD editing system!
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          CPU Cooler necessary?

The stock cooler is enough if you do not overclock, if you want to overclock look at the Noctua NH-D14 or TRUE.

Ram - 6-12GB

Suggestions to look for?  Corsair?  OCZ?

6 or 12 is a budget matter. 1 or 2 tripacks. If the budget is available I would prefer 12 GB, since it is much faster, due to less paging. Both Corsair and OCZ are very good. That choice is again budget/performance driven. Just look closely at the timings. The lower the CAS latency the better.

Hitachi, Western Digital - yes, no green drives!  Is the recommendation to use a smaller drive (like a 500GB) for a system drive and 3 others for scratch and project drives set up with RAID?

WD Caviar Black, Seagate 7200.12 and Samsung F3 are the most used disks. However with 3 data disks I would not use (r)aid0. Use 1 for pagefile, projects and scratch, 1 for source media and 1 for exports and backup of projects.

The HD5770 is great and better than the HD4xxx because is runs far less hot. The brand does not really matter.

There are quite a number of similar questions and it may be worth the time to read the threads, because there can be valuable info in them for your situation. Under the Popular Discussion you can find a lot of further information.

• 2. Re: Advice for an effective/capable AVCHD editing system!
            Jim_Simon Level 9
            DVD Burner - TBD (Recommendations)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030&cm_re=Optiarc_AD7240S-_-27 -118-030-_-Product

"... the standards are set high with this one. 24X DVD burning is now  possible and when you add it to burning quality that is above average,  we can only say that the competitors have to work hard to beat Optiarc." - CDRInfo.com

• 3. Re: Advice for an effective/capable AVCHD editing system!
              JayZ_WA Level 1

Great info, thanks.

I will add...

Sony Optiarc Optical Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

Corsair 6GB kit (PC3 12800 7x7x7x20 - TR3X6G1600C7D)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145253

-> I will start with 6GB, can upgrade to another 6GB kit

Question remaining:

Hard Drives - I will look at other posts/info to get the best option for configuration.  Question, does raid effect/improve performance or merely for data security? If I was backing this up daily to an external drive/server (i.e. projects, media) is this as critical?

You gave a great recommendation with 3 drives - Use 1 for pagefile, projects and scratch, 1 for source media and 1 for exports  and backup of projects.  What is the difference in a 4 drive system, 5 drive? Is 500GB plenty large for these or 1TB - probably depends on raid setup, right?  Most data not being worked on will be stored offsite although I might consider a 1TB internal drive in this system as a backup as well.

Thanks so much, great to know I was headed in the right direction - fired up about this system!  Looking forward to building what I need and checking out a performance test on this.  Overclocking is an option if I can get the first step completed!  If you have any other items to consider/recommend, please let me know.

• 4. Re: Advice for an effective/capable AVCHD editing system!
                Jim_Simon Level 9

C: System - OS and Programs

D: Project - Projects and Scratch

E: Media - Video files.  Keep pics and music in the Project folder on D: so that both drives are being used, instead of trying to read all from just one.

F: Exports - Exported files for further use, such as in Encore.

G: Images - Encore images for long term archiving.

H: Backup.

I laid the setup out in such a way that any missing drive can have it's data 'folded into' the drive above.  For example, if you don't have a separate H: drive, add your Backups to the Images drive.  If you don't have a G: drive, add Images and Backups to your Export drive, etc.

Always add and remove drives from you setup in the prescribed order.  For example, if you add only a fourth drive, use it for Exports, Images and Backups.  Don't keep Images and Backups on the Media drive.

Always have C;, D:, and E:.  Add more drives as funds allow.

• 5. Re: Advice for an effective/capable AVCHD editing system!
                  Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I noticed this comment on the newegg.com website:

"Cons: BE WARNED: This PSU is only for antec's Twelve Hundred, P183, and P190. It WILL NOT fit and be secured with screws inside any other case. This powersupply is part of Antec's mission to change the PSU standard from ATX to CPX. It is a MASSIVE powersupply. You've been warned."

I suggest a Corsair power supply. I am really happy with the 1000 watt units I purchased for our new systems at work.

Consider a full tower case. They provide more room and are less cramped when working on the inside.

Get 12GB of Ram. Our new systems at work throw video files around like text documents. Very fast. No hesitation.

• 6. Re: Advice for an effective/capable AVCHD editing system!
                    JayZ_WA Level 1

Results of the PassMark Test, how is this?

Complete Result: 2036.5

CPU Mark: 5901.4

2D Graphics Mark: 400.2

3D Graphics Mark: 1586.5

Memory Mark: 1634.6

Disk Mark: 829.8

CD Mark: 1060.7

This done with:

Intel Core i7 920

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 3 x 2GB PC3-12800

Samsung 500GB HD502HJ (tested based on this drive)

Samsung 1TB HD103SJ x 2

ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB

Sony Optiarc DVD

Windows 7 64bit

As far as improvement, the biggest area would likely be speeding up the C: disk - are the other results in line for this system? Any other tests to rate Premiere Elements performance?

• 7. Re: Advice for an effective/capable AVCHD editing system!
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

I think your system can be further improved. Check the various suggestions given here to optimize services and reduce processes running as a start.

Here are my results while running @ 3.4 GHz:

Passmark 3,4.jpg

but realize that depending on clock speed, these scores varied between 4300 and 6055.

• 8. Re: Advice for an effective/capable AVCHD editing system!
                        dan_public2 Level 1

Jay,

In this thead I just dicussed my new AVCHD-editing workstation: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/558012?tstart=0 .  This does not include a case because I'm reusing my LianLi server case (with door and sound insullation for noise control).   I just ordered this config from NewEgg.  Depending on the exact parts you choose, this config is about $2700.   (Mine was $3,071.87, including $17.55 for rush processing and shipping, and some bit parts to upgrade my other systems.)

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I think it's a wise choice to avoid most of the commercial packaged systems, especially HP.   I purchased an HP system for my wife at BestBuy about three years ago.   It was a very cheap design and full of "crapware".   I took it back and bought a custom-built system for her.