3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2009 1:27 PM by Lost In My Mind

Feather Mask

Lost In My Mind Level 1

'By default, the feather width straddles the mask edge, half inside and half outside.'

Is there a way to change the default so that the feathering goes from the edge of the mask out only, without going in as well? Thanks. Cin

• 1. Re: Feather Mask
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

One approach is to expand the mask a little.

• 2. Re: Feather Mask
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No, unfortunately AE's feathering is always two sided. The only way to directly manipulate masks in that manner would be to use Revision FX' PV Feather plug-in. You can, however, quite easily fake it using otehr means. E.g. you could put your mask stuff on top of your footage and use it as a matte. By applying the Outer Glow layer style, it would then only expand outside the mask contours. the only potential caveat here - once more - is, that you may need to pre-compose since layer styles are applied as the last step and may not correctly contribute to the layer's pixels with certain blending modes or when layers are used with 3D....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Feather Mask
              Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you Todd. I had read that link before, and that was the method I have been using, but it doesn't quiet give the results I was looking for. Thank you Mylenium for the nice work around. I appreciate your help and expertise as always. Cin