Unable to browse folder hierarchy

r.neugebauer Level 1

In Organizer, I select Display Folder Location. I then see the folders

Public

Rainer (my user folder)

+ Computer

Netzwerk (network)

Offline Media

Only Computer has a +-sign in front of it, when I click it, then I see all available drive letters, none of them has a +-sign in front of it. How do I navigate into the subfolders (obviously, there are many ...)?

• 1. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your Organizer is not working properly. You should see plus signs next to each drive -- assuming you have folders on each drive.

• 2. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
            r.neugebauer Level 1

Well Steve, thank you for that reply, but I was assuming that it isn't working properly.

The question I should have asked is probably, what do I do to get it to work?

I would really appreciate a helpful answer.

Rainer

• 3. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy

I don't know. I've never seen that. It could be related to running the program on Windows 7 64-bit, which is giving a

lot of people strange behaviors. Apparently the 64-bit drivers aren't yet fully compatible with 32-bit programs.

• 4. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                Barb__O Level 4

Is this a new installation of Premiere Elements 8?

Have you imported any video or photo files to theElements Organizer?

Folder Location view does not display the same information as Windows Explorer.  It was designed as a Folder oriented method of viewing the media files that are cataloged in the Elements Catalog.  So you will not see the contents of all of your folders or files within this panel.

• 5. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy

True, Barb. But he should be able to at least browse to the folders, right?

• 6. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                    Barb__O Level 4

Barb__O wrote:

Is this a new installation of Premiere Elements 8?

Have you imported any video or photo files to theElements Organizer?

Folder Location view does not display the same information as Windows Explorer.  It was designed as a Folder oriented method of viewing the media files that are cataloged in the Elements Catalog.  So you will not see the contents of all of your folders or files within this panel.

No you can't browse all folders like in Windows Explorer. Perhaps it would be clearer if I said

Folder Locatoin View is an alternative to the default Thumbnail displays which are sequenced by "DateTaken". Folder Location View displays the photos, videos and other media which are manganged by the Elements Organizer (have been imported to the Organizer catalog) by showing those photos, videos, etc within their folder structure.

Folder Location View does not display the contents of all of your folders or files like you would see in Windows Explorer.

I am not immediately finding a direct source to quote, so here are some general observations about the Organizer Folder Location view:

-- Under Computer, I think that all the drives are listed

-- For the Windows userid, there is a plus sign and the ability to expand only IF there is an Elements Organizer imported/cataloged file under that userid's folder structure.

Note that on the screen shot, the "Rainer" folder does not have the expansion + to the left.

-- In general, you need to have an Elements Organizer imported/cataloged file under that Folder tree, in order see the plus sign and be able to expand the Folder Tree.

-- You need to have at least one Elements Organizer imported/cataloged file in a Folder in order to see the contents of that folder.

Note: you can right click on a Folder which is shown and the right click menu has a choice to "Reveal in Explorer" which opens a separate window in  Explorer that is positioned to that specific folder where you can see the entire contents of that folder.

• 7. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                      Barb__O Level 4

Since I think this is a new installation, I am writing a separate post to discuss importing media (photos and videos) to the Organizer catalog.

There is a Get Media (Photos and Video) function under the Organizer Workspace which uses a window like a typical Windows Open dialog, where you can navigate the Windows folder structure to identify and select files or folder (optionally with subfolders) that you wish to have imported to the Organizer catalog.  Perhaps it was this type of function that you were seeking when you went to Folder Location view.

• 8. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                        r.neugebauer Level 1

Yes, this is a new install, and no, not a single file has been imported into the Organizer.

I installed the P.E. trial in order to find out whether it would be suitable as a tool to "organize" my collection of [personal, family type] videos which goes back to 1983 or so ...

The earliest of them are from Betamax, later ones then Video8 and H8, followed by AVCHD plus formats from various photo cameras including lately the Canon 5D mk ii which gives the best HD video I've ever seen.

Quite obviously, the early (analog based) formats contain no date information.

I therefore started early on to build a hierarchy of folders, one folder for each year containing subfolders for each event, includng the date in the folder title, like "090213 my birthday". That folder hierarchy therefore contains valuable information - date and a "title" of the event the scenes were taken at. Obviously, there are hundreds of videos.

What I need is a tool to browse that folder hierarchy that shows thumbnails and maybe scenes of each video. Sony's Picture Motion Browser (PMB) does that, and allows me to trim vieos without re-coding, but it supports too few of the formats I am using (especially not the Quicktime format used by the 5D). I definitely don't wand to re-encode any of the videos as that would reduce the quality available in the original.

Is there a way to get Premiere Elements to do what I need? Or does anyone know a tool that is better suited to what I am after?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 9. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy

Here's what I see in Folder View, Barb.

• 10. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                            r.neugebauer Level 1

Dear Barb,

thank you for your replies. I will try Get Media as soon as I get back to that computer (and pray it allows me to seelct a folder and doesn't insist on a file name).

I will then see whether PE is suitable for my needs.

With your permission, I would like to add that there is room for improvement there: I already took quite a while to find the folder view, and I thinbk it would have been impossible to find out how things work without outside help (in addition, the menu option that promises to explain the principles of operation leads to a Photoshop, not Premiere page!).

The product seems to target only the kind of user who installs the software, attaches a camera and starts worting with that file (and later adds more). Users who have large collections will not go that way, they will look for the "right" way to see all their alredy pre-organized files. They are not likely to try adding hundreds of files by drag-and-drop ...

Rainer

• 11. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy

Well, for what it's worth, all of these tools, including the Organizer and how to use it, are covered pretty thoroughly in my "Muvipix.com Guide to Premiere Elements 8", available on Amazon.com and through the Muvipix store.

• 12. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                                Barb__O Level 4

Steve,

Yes, your screen shot is very different.  However, I suspect that those files whose thumbnails are displayed on the right have been added to your Organizer file either

-- because they were previously used in a Premiere Elements project or

-- because you had done an Organizer Get Media (or some other variation to bring those media files in to your Organizer).

On your E disk, the folders that are visible in your screen shot have the picture icon superimposed on the folder icon which means those folders contain media (video or photo) which has been added to your Organizer. Therefore those folders are visible and can be expanded.

• 13. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                                  Barb__O Level 4

I think that you will need to experiment with the trial code that you have in order to know whether the Elements Organizer will work for you. Here are some suggestions

-- look at the Instant Tag function.

It is a relatively easy way to make and assign Organizer tags for all imported to the Organizer files that reside in a given folder.  It is activated from the name bar that will appear in the right hand side of Folder Location View separating the thumbnails of the media files in one folder from the next folder.

-- Tags are the basic tool of the Elements Orgamizer.

If you want to continue with only Folders for organizing, then I think it is less likely that the Elements Organizer will work for you.If you were using Premiere Elements for your video editing and then also used the Elements Organizer, then it might be worth some compromises. However, if organizing is your primary reason, then I think it is questionable.

-- Thumbnails

In your trials of the Organizer, it is important that you include video files of each type of video that you have.

This is important so you can determine to determine if you will see thumbnails in the Organizer for all of your video types OR if you will need to install additional codecs to see thumbnails in the Elements Organizer OR if you have any video types that the Organizer will not support for thumbnails.

• 14. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy

There's no need to "drag and drop" to add files to the catalog. As Barb says, you can add a folder or even an entire drive of media files to your Organizer catalog in a single batch process by using the Get Media command.

• 15. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                                      r.neugebauer Level 1

Dear Barb,

I tried File - Get Photos and Videos in Organizer (I suppose that is what

you mean by Get Media).

That gest me into the dialog shown, where IO can navigat folders th usual

way (by clicking / double clicking). When I highlight a folder and click

Open, then it opens the folder as I would expect. When I click Get Meia, it

just opens the folder (identical to Open).

I suspect this is to do with the fact that I use the Windows function to

make a drive appear as a folder for my videos (Ineed a large drive for them)

... P.E. behaves incorrectly under that rare condition. When I indicate the

folder by its own drive letter (which beý the way is not required, you can

have a folder in the directory tree that in reality is a drive of its own

but that has NO drive letter), then Get Media does open a function Get

Media" that is currently buy with my 669 files found that that location.

I'll keep you posted ...

Rainer

PS: Are you from Germany, by any chance ... I thought I detected a slight

accent at one point ...

• 16. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy

That's a Minnesota accent, Rainer. Barb is from the Minneapolis area.

• 17. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                                          nealeh Level 5

r.neugebauer wrote:

but that has NO drive letter)

I'm curious. I'm familiar with many tools allowing you to refer to a folder by assigning it a drive letter, but not the other way around. Which windows function is that?

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale
                                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 18. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                                            r.neugebauer Level 1

Right click My Computer, choose Manage. Then, go to Storage .- Disk

Management.

Select a drive and right click on it, choose Change Drive Letter and paths.

There, you can indicate that you want e.g. your F: drive to appear as a

folder called "photos" in your user directory C:\users\username\pictures,

Your photos would then be in

C:\users\username\pictures\photos while in reality they are on F:

In fact, you can even choose to have no drive letter refer to that disk ...

Rainer

• 19. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                                              nealeh Level 5

Thanks. Something new I've learnt today. 

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale
                                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 20. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                                                Barb__O Level 4

Steve Grisetti wrote:

That's a Minnesota accent, Rainer. Barb is from the Minneapolis area.

Actually Steve, it is my husband who is from the Minneapolis area: I am originally from the New York City area.

• 21. Re: Unable to browse folder hierarchy
                                                  Barb__O Level 4

r.neugebauer wrote:

Dear Barb,

I tried File - Get Photos and Videos in Organizer (I suppose that is what

you mean by Get Media).

That gest me into the dialog shown, where IO can navigat folders th usual

way (by clicking / double clicking). When I highlight a folder and click

Open, then it opens the folder as I would expect. When I click Get Meia, it

just opens the folder (identical to Open).

but that has NO drive letter), then Get Media does open a function Get

Media" that is currently buy with my 669 files found that that location.

I'll keep you posted ...

Rainer

PS: Are you from Germany, by any chance ... I thought I detected a slight

accent at one point ...

I am away from my computer with the Elements Organizer, so I can't be specific.

The simple answer is that when using the Get Photos and Video command, you went one level beyond where you want to be. For importing an entire folder, it is better to select that folder and not display the files within the folder.  (I don't think that is totally Windows standard)

A different and more complex answer is that the Organizer can not recognize and correctly process the folder and drive structure that you have defined to Windows.