6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 12:56 AM by Harm Millaard

Whare to put various premier/system files

mtechman Level 1

I have read Harms article on disk usage but have some questions.

I have 3 disks in my new rig, 1 for programs, ones for media, one for scratch data.

Whats the best place to put the premier project file?

Also, if I change the pagefile location whart disk should it go on?

• 1. Re: Whare to put various premier/system files
          Harm Millaard Level 7

C: OS & programs

D: Pagefile, projects and scratch

E: Source media and exports

would be my suggestion.

• 2. Re: Whare to put various premier/system files
            Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

We always save the Premiere project files into the folder that has all of its referenced media. This is because we have a huge amount of video projects and don't want to lose track of the media that goes with the prproj. I think Premiere defaults to saving prproj's to the "C" drive - My Documents - Adobe. It may actually help Premiere to run faster if you do things the default way. Premiere seems to run well either way for us.

• 3. Re: Whare to put various premier/system files
              mtechman Level 1

Chuck & Harm

Thanks, one more, what the best wat to turn off indexing.

On windows 7 on the disk property panel I can disable it there for each disk, but should the whole indexing service be shut down?

• 4. Re: Whare to put various premier/system files
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I have indexing and compression turned off completely on all (17) of my disks. There are some files that Win7 does not like to de-index, but with some fiddling with user access rights you can even de-index those files. If you don't want to go to all that trouble, just skip the files that Win7 objects to.

While you are at it, do the following as well:

# Go to Vista's or Win7's command line with administrative rights
                # Type:
                vssadmin list shadowstorage to see the current allocation.
                # To change it, use:
                vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=[drive]: /for=[drive]: /maxsize=[size]
                # I recommend using 1% of your boot drive, so for a 500GB drive I would set the maxsize to 5GB:
                vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /for=C: /maxsize=5GB

# For larger disks I would still keep the maxsize to less than 8GB

• 5. Re: Whare to put various premier/system files
                  mtechman Level 1

Did you turn off  the indexing service or just click the option on the disk

panel?

To: Mike Trapp <mtechman@earthlink.net>

Date: 12/7/2009 6:46:19 PM

Subject: Whare to put various premier/system files

>

I have indexing and compression turned off completely on all (17) of my

disks. There are some files that Win7 does not like to de-index, but with

some fiddling with user access rights you can even de-index those files. If

you don't want to go to all that trouble, just skip the files that Win7

objects to.

>

• 6. Re: Whare to put various premier/system files
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

I just turned indexing off per disk in the disk panel, skipped the files that Win7 did not want to de-index, then manually turned of the indexing for the remaining files, but left the service running.