3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 8:45 AM by Justin Putney

Copy and Pasting Motion? Please help!

Sheep316

Im quite new to flash. It's really, really annoying me at the minute.

My situation: I've got 7 frames of animated motion that is exactly the way i want it. I want these 7 frames of motion to loop so it gets to around 300 frames. So rather than doing every frame manually (which takes ages) i went to copy and paste motion.

So i highlight my 7 frames and click 'copy motion'. Then I try pasting them and i get the error mesage (in the attached picture) that nothing is selected. But i've clicked on the 8th frame, the place were i want the motion to begin, but still it says this error message.

So then i insert a new frame on the 8th frame space and paste the motion over the top of the 8th frame, but it misses the first 2 frames of animation (therefore messing eveything up) out and the motion is also wrong on top of that!

Im desperate here, all i want to do is something simple and i dont know how.

• 1. Re: Copy and Pasting Motion? Please help!
          Justin Putney Level 2

Motion is defined by Flash as a 'tween.' It looks like (from your image) you're animating with keyframes and not tweens.

To copy keyframed animation: You can select frames, right-click, and select Copy Frames, then select the frame(s) where you want to paste them, right-click, and choose Paste Frames.

Also think about putting your animation inside a symbol. That makes it much easier to duplicate and loop a sequence. You can choose the number of times a graphic symbol loops in the property inspector.

• 2. Re: Copy and Pasting Motion? Please help!
            Sheep316 Level 1

Yeah i want to animate my keyframes.

I know i can copy and past the keyframes, but thats not what i want because if i do that my character does not progress forward (or to the right of the screen in this instance). I want to copy and paste the motion so he goes forward  (to the right of the screen).

I have the character and i want him to walk from left to right across the screen whilst moving his, arms, legs and head etc (the motion) in a certain way.

Also i had already converted my layers to symbols. I will attach another picture to show you my character.

• 3. Re: Copy and Pasting Motion? Please help!
              Justin Putney Level 2

I highly recommend checking out Chris Georgenes' site keyframer.com, he's got tons of great techniques for this kind of animation.