18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2011 3:10 PM by poofyboy RSS

Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

k2kramer-cIzBOv
      Starting this ? in Pr forum rather than Encore as that is where the project started.

Background: Started this project with older computer system and Premiere Elements 7. Forum responses pointed me to think of upgrading to Pr Pro to do multi cam with differing source types.... I upgraded to Pr CS4..built a new computer system to handle it...(aside) had incredibly difficult time troubleshooting what was a bad memory module. Project getting later and later by months. So onto problem at hand.

New system: As this is brand new all drivers are updated etc.

Premiere Pro CS4 ver. 4.2 creative suite includes Encore etc.

Windows 7 Premium Home 64 (upgraded from Vista Home Prem 64)

Mobo: EVGA P55 SLI

processor: I7 860

GPU's: GTX 260's (two in SLI)

3 HD: 1=TB, 2x=750GB each 2.5TB total

Currently only 2 GB Ram (original 4GB, failed 2 GB replacement on the way)

LG Blu Ray burner

DVD/CD (2nd optical drive)

project: two camera sources. Canon GL2 (DV), Canon HF S100 (HDV).

Context is concert material, so two synced cameras, one master audio track.

I'm performing a small test project (sequence is ~20 minutes) to learn all the steps needed to complete final.

project settings chosen: NTSC DV 48 widescreen, as final output will be DVD

I successfully synced the two camera source clips, again one is AVCHD (.MTS) the other DV (.avi).

created nested sequence, enabled MultiCam, edited within MultiCam monitor! Yea, so far so good.

Now I have this Multi Cam sequence to send to DVD. So, after watching tutorials on Premiere and Encore, I do this in Pr...

File...Abode Dynamic Link..Send to Encore.

In Encore, I add a basic menu with proper links etc. tests fine...looks good...all set.  Go to Build w/ DVD in burner, starts fine, opens window for encoding, gets a ways (20-30 minutes) then pop up error window that says "Encode Failed", main window underneath says,

"Build Progess Transcoding...Failed"

Tried to Write same test sequence to DVD Image on HD, same result, +/- 20 minutes and "Encode Failed".

Read other forum threads for clues. Someone suggested to another to Export the sequence from Pr Pro as avi file. Then bring this into Encore as asset and burn DVD.

I tried to Export Project as avi using this same MultiCam edited sequence from Pr Pro.

This opens the Adobe Media Encoder. from there I get a different error...

"ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"

This error appears after 6:59, also states 8:13:31 remaining.

I have ordered more RAM. Plus I will get the replacement 2GB module soon. My feeling is that the current memory in my system is lacking, but not what is causing these problems.  Though I do not know if that is true.

Obviously, I'm a beginner at this, just learning PrPro from limited PrElements experience and online tutorials and any helps I can find. I was getting excited as I have actually accomplished the steps I'll need to complete this project. But it has sort of become like the Exodus from Egypt and I don't wish to spend 40 years wondering in the desert before reaching the promised land. Please help me cross over the Jordan!

Kenny

• 1. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???
          Jeff Bellune ACP
          1. More RAM
          2. More RAM
          3. More RAM
          4. Update all of your drivers anyway.  New systems rarely ship with the latest drivers.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???
            k2kramer-cIzBOv Community Member

Thanks Jeff,

My replacement for the bad memory just arrived. I will install it now. A smart friend of mine put this system together, not off the shellf. So drivers were updated upon install.

I will double check for the latest drivers anyway as you suggest.

So I'm clear, you say update ALL drivers. If you could clarify what drivers you are referring to, as I'm not a computer expert as to what ALL means, sorry.

I'll start the list of what I know about:

Video cards.

Hard drives?

Optical drives.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Kenny

__0

_ \<,_

()/ ()

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 05:00:51 -0700

To: kennykramer@msn.com

Subject: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

1. More RAM

2. More RAM

3. More RAM

4. Update all of your drivers anyway.  New systems rarely ship with the latest drivers.

-Jeff

>

• 3. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???
              Jeff Bellune ACP

I was referring to video card drivers, audio card drivers, any add-on

PCI or PCIx cards you have, and optical drive firmware.

Let us know how the extra RAM works out.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

Update:

Installed my replacement 2GB memory. Now 4GB (4 more coming tomorrow!).

Checked for updates on drivers...All were up to snuff, as expected, only had this system about a month.

Went back to Encore to try to write a DVD image of the practice sequence I had earlier brought in from PrPro.

During the "Build Progress" - Transcoding, with the status bar about 15% into the transcode I got an error dialogue box (not sure if this is a Windows error message or Encore) saying:

"ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"

Here is the info that came up when I clicked details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        BEX

Application Name:                             ImporterProcessServer.exe

Application Version:                           0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:                    4ae00598

Fault Module Name:                          MSVCR80.dll

Fault Module Version:                        8.0.50727.4927

Fault Module Timestamp:                 4a2752ff

Exception Offset:                                00008aa0

Exception Code:                                  c000000d

Exception Data:                                   00000000

OS Version:                                          6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  af4f

Additional Information 2:                  af4ff26ebbdddcc73c80863e9b928142

Additional Information 3:                  f94a

Additional Information 4:                  f94afe50d2c2808af2fbfa8ca9c061e1

Then I tried to cancel the Build, and Encore "not responding". Had to close it.

Next course of action. Went back to PrPro and took same multi cam sequence test project and exported to Microsoft AVI, 720x480, 30fps, DV NTSC codec.

I tried this yesterday and got the same above error. Today... It worked! Also, yesterday I noted what the progress indicated when it failed after 6:59 with 8:13:31 remaining.

Today with 4 GB RAM the export of the same sequence completed in just over 1 hour, and more importantly did NOT fail.

Next, I opened Encore and brought in the AVI. Linked it with the simple menus I had before, two chapter markers, tested fine. Build to DVD. Completed fine. Looks great.

What next? I'll retest writing to DVD from Encore with teh sequence when I get the additional 4 GB of RAM.

In the mean time, I still have 23 chamber groups to edit into MultiCam sequences to ultimately include on the DL DVD.

I was thinking of creating seperate sequences, each sequence having two or three groups (each sequence ~10-15 minutes). Then adding the edited MultiCam sequences to the Encore Timeline and finishing with menus etc.

If I have to export these sequences to AVI, not sure about the new workflow? Can I combine seperate sequences on one Timeline in PrPro, like I can in Encore?

Advice? Thanks for helping.  I feel I'm not alone in this project and I sure would without this forum!!

Kenny

• 5. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

Jeff... You were right...all three times! More RAM, More RAM, and yes More RAM.

Do to circumstances, I was able to complete an interesting experiment with RAM.

with 2 GB, encode failed with time remaining about 8.5 hours

Next day 2 more GB RAM arrrived, now there was 4GB, Still failed but after encoding for about :20 minutes, said :45 remaining! Down from 8.5 hours to a little over 1, but still no workee.

Day three, the REST of the RAM arrived 4 more GB...and now there was 8.

Same test burn of a 20 minute DVD...It took off like a scarred rabbit. Finished the successful DVD in about 4 minutes!

No changes whatsoever to the project, just more RAM. It may help others out to know, I hope so.

Next question: I now have a completed 3 hour sequence in PrPro for sending to Encore for DVD.

I will be burning to a DL DVD 8.5GB.

What is the best way to assure I get the best possible quality transfer to the DL DVD?

This is what I've done so far... In PrPro I went to File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Send to Encore.

I named it and it went to Encore. However, in the Timeline Editing Workspace under the "Properties Panel", bottom it indicates: Encoded Size: 4.7GB

I know when I go to the "Build" dialogue when it's time I will change the DVD to DL 8.5GB. Just wondering if I'm overlooking something important beforehand, likely.

Thanks for the tips,

Kenny

__0

_ \<,_

()/ ()

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:04:26 -0700

I was referring to video card drivers, audio card drivers, any add-on

PCI or PCIx cards you have, and optical drive firmware.

Let us know how the extra RAM works out.

-Jeff

>

• 6. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???
                    Jeff Bellune ACP

That's good news about the RAM.  Building a project in En from Pr using Dynamic Link takes a lot of RAM because Pr and/or its associated processes are running, Dynamic Link is running, En is running and the media encoder processes are running.

For anyone who doesn't have a ton of RAM available, you can help out that delicate memory balancing act by doing things like background transcoding in En before building the project, and by fine-tuning your system so that only essential resident Windows services are running.

under the "Properties Panel", bottom it indicates: Encoded Size: 4.7GB

You can switch the project's disc size on the Build panel at any time to 8.54 GB.  If you're using Automatic Transcoding for the Pr sequence, then the estimate in the Properties panel should update accordingly.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

I was not clear if I could, or how to, take advantage of your suggested efficiencies such as "background transcoding in En before the project"... As I already brought in the sequence from Pr via the Dynamic Link option, I assume it's too late for me to do this? If not, how.

Since I was not sure, and I was ready to "build" the DVD DL, I stayed with the original project. After I changed the DVD to DVD DL, I did see the updated Encode Size as 8.5GB.

Looks like the build almost made it, but had a funny failure. This is what happened.

With only En open, I went to "Build", tested project, all okay. Went for the Build with DVD DL in drive etc.

Started at 7 pm last night.  On thru the night it went... Looked in at 3 am and still going. By then the lower indicater bar (Transcoding Pr project...) was about 80% full and seemed to be working fine, still increasing, HD light still flickering.

A little after 7 am this morning this is what appeared.

A small error box appeared in the middle of the Build dialogue box: "Adobe Encore Access Denied"

I cleared that box to reveal the main Build dialogue. Above the upper writing indicator bar it said: "Building Navigation. Failed Completed"

Above the lower indicator bar: "Writing DVD disc Completed"

Both bars were completely filled, as if complete. The DVD had nothing actually written to it however.

Any thoughts on another approach or just what was the "Adobe Encore Access Denied" all about?

Thanks,

Kenny

Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 06:13:09 -0700

That's good news about the RAM.  Building a project in En from Pr using Dynamic Link takes a lot of RAM because Pr and/or its associated processes are running, Dynamic Link is running, En is running and the media encoder processes are running.

For anyone who doesn't have a ton of RAM available, you can help out that delicate memory balancing act by doing things like background transcoding in En before building the project, and by fine-tuning your system so that only essential resident Windows services are running.

under the "Properties Panel", bottom it indicates: Encoded Size: 4.7GB

You can switch the project's disc size on the Build panel at any time to 8.54 GB.  If you're using Automatic Transcoding for the Pr sequence, then the estimate in the Properties panel should update accordingly.

-Jeff

>

• 8. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???
                        Jeff Bellune ACP
                        1. Background transcoding: File | Transcode Now.
                        2. Are you logged on as an Administrator?  If so, then there may be a permissions issue with your temp folders or your personal folders or your app data folders.
                        3. Try building a disc image or a set of DVD folders and see if you are successful.

-Jeff

• 9. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???
                          the_wine_snob Community Member

One additional though. What is your available free space on your HDD(s)? Encore needs much more room for its working files, than just the size of the VIDEO_TS folder and resulting files.

Just a thought,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

Thanks Jeff,

1. When I click: File - the "Transcode Now" is greyed out? How do I make that available?

2. This new cmptr only has one user, Administrator. I have what I think are all folders shared, not sure how to check "permissions".

3. After you let me know how to make Transcode Now available from : File, I'll do that. If that is successful, then I assume I'll try building a disc image or DVD folder set. Which is preferrable if I want to ultimately burn DVD DL disc?

Other question: Do I need to also have Pr open when working with this Encore project that is Dynamically Linked to Pr? I have assumed not and that is how I've been working since bringing it to En. Just En open. 

Thanks again,

much appreciated

Kenny

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:07:45 -0700

1. Background transcoding: File | Transcode Now.

2. Are you logged on as an Administrator?  If so, then there may be a permissions issue with your temp folders or your personal folders or your app data folders.

3. Try building a disc image or a set of DVD folders and see if you are successful.

-Jeff

>

• 11. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

Hunt-

available C: 733MB

available D: 1.36TB

New cmptr with LOTS of room.

__0

_ \<,_

()/ ()

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:55:36 -0700

One additional though. What is your available free space on your HDD(s)? Encore needs much more room for its working files, than just the size of the VIDEO_TS folder and resulting files.

Just a thought,

Hunt

>

• 12. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???
                                Jeff Bellune ACP
                                1. Did you select the sequence in the Project panel first?  If so, then most likely the sequence is already transcoded.  Do File | Revert to Original to get it back to its original untranscoded state.

Pr can be closed.

-Jeff

• 13. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

1. No I did not have it selected. So, I selected the Premiere Pro Sequence in the Project panel, then I was able to Revert to Original.

(I then selected the Pr Sequence in Project panel to see if: File l Transcode Now was available, it was still greyed out?)

I then double clicked my Timeline in Project panel to load to timeline editor. Now I get NO audio when monitoring???

Maybe I should start over with the Pr sequence exporting to En portion and follow your suggestions to avoid Dynamic Link.

I do have a completely edited sequence in Pr. All I need to do is get it to Encore so I can do the menus and DVD navigations.

I had already completed that in En, but I'm willing to do it again if need be.

Maybe I can somehow save those menus in Encore somewhere and have access if I start a new En project?

Where to from here?

K

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:23:24 -0700

1. Did you select the sequence in the Project panel first?  If so, then most likely the sequence is already transcoded.  Do File | Revert to Original to get it back to its original untranscoded state.

Pr can be closed.

-Jeff

>

• 14. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

Update: I saved and closed En

Opened the same project in En. Things are okay with monitoring now. Audio fine, all looks right.

When I select the Pr Sequence from Project Panel, then File l Transcode Now IS NOT greyed out, but available.

Should I go for that?

K

__0

_ \<,_

()/ ()

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:23:24 -0700

Pr can be closed.

-Jeff

>

• 15. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???
                                      Jeff Bellune ACP

Should I go for that?

Sure.  It'll be a good test, and it may help you get your project built successfully/quickly.

-Jeff

• 16. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

First off-

A great big thank you to Jeff! You've stuck this out with a new user under the gun and I totally appreciate it

So I hit the Transcode Now and used Automatic for settings. Finished the Transcode fine!

I went to build to Disc and part way thru during "Building Navigation" I got the same pop up described above,  Adobe Encore error box "access denied".

Tried to Build an image, same thing at the same spot. Searched on the error and others had same issue, the key is that it happens only during a DVD DL disc project?

The solution: Right click on Encore icon then "Run as administrator". I tried this and likity split I had my disc...that looks and sounds great by the way!

I have one more final concert disc to produce that will include a slideshow, but I know the steps now. My disc used up 7.85 GB of the 8.5 available although it is 3 hours long. Thought it would use it all. Does that sound right?

Maybe a final question:  Next time, what settings could I use to insure it uses it all to get the best finished product?

Thanks again. If I have questions as I tackle the next disc, I'll start a new thread.

Kenny

• 17. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???
                                          Jeff Bellune ACP

You're welcome.

My disc used up 7.85 GB of the 8.5 available although it is 3 hours long. Thought it would use it all. Does that sound right?

Depends on where you're measuring the 7.85 GB.  If you're doing it in Windows Explorer, then it's exactly right.  Blank DVD Media manufacturers count 1 GB as 10^9 bytes, or 1,000,000,000 bytes.  Computers, being binary, count 1 GB as 2^30, or 1,073,741,824 bytes.  I'll let you do the math from there.

Encore's Automatic Transcoding got you pretty close to a full disc.  The only way to use more space would be to manually calculate a target bit rate, but the potential gain in quality would be very, very minimal.  I'd stick with Automatic.

-Jeff

• 18. Re: Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???
                                            poofyboy Community Member

FWIW, I know it's late but I just saw this. I have Encore CS4 with Windows 7 and got an error dialog box that said "access denied" with the Encore error "building navigation. failed completed".

One of these two things fixed it, I think probably the first:

1) Running Encore as administrator (right-click on the desktop icon, then click Run as Administrator), which is weird because I'm already logged in as an administrator.

2) Changing the burn speed from 8x to 6x.