4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 9:46 AM by Larry G. Schneider

Save a custom sized artboard.

mhtruflo Level 1

Hi there, hope you can help.

I tend to use a custom sized artboard, and therefore everytime I create a new document from scratch, I have to type in the length and width.  Therefore, I am wondering if there's a way to save a frequently used custom artboard to the preset list - this would enable me to create a new document with the click of a button, not have to type in the sizes everytime.

Thanks very much, appreciate your time.

Mark

• 1. Re: Save a custom sized artboard.
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Mark,

At least in older versions you had templates for new CMYK and RGB documents.

I believe they still have them, and it should be possible to set the Artboard size and many other things there.

• 2. Re: Save a custom sized artboard.
            mhtruflo Level 1

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your reply.  I think I've worked out how to do it:

You have to run Illustrator as an administrator and then create a blank artboard(s) of the required size.  You can then save this in the template folder (find where this is by clicking 'browse' in the 'New Document' window) by clicking 'Save As' and selecting file-type 'Adobe Illustrator Template' (.AIT).  Then next time you open up the New Document window, there is a tab on the right which says 'Templates'.  Click that and open up the 'Blank Templates' folder.  The saved template should be in there - if you've saved it in the right place.

Thanks again, appreciate your time.

Mark

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Save a custom sized artboard.
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You are welcome, Mark.

• 4. Re: Save a custom sized artboard.
                Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do a search on your computer for New Document Profiles. In this folder are the files which are represented when you do a File>New. You can make and save any .ai file to this folder with a name which is distinctive and it will be added to the list. No need to use a template.