5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 8:36 AM by Jacob Bugge

Grids on top of a drawing?

AndersTherkildsen

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a problem, I am new to Adobe Illustrator, but i have worked with Photoshop for ages. I want to try making little characters and logos in Ai, that i have drawn in hand.

I'm beginning to understand the program, but i don't know how to get the grids on top of a drawing, so I'm sure that the logo/character is symmetric, can someone tell me how?

I hope someone can help me out!

Anders

• 1. Re: Grids on top of a drawing?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Anders,

I have a bit of a problem, I am new to Adobe Illustrator, but i have worked with Photoshop for ages. I want to try making little characters and logos in Ai, that i have drawn in hand.

I'm beginning to understand the program, but i don't know how to get the grids on top of a drawing, so I'm sure that the logo/character is symmetric, can someone tell me how?
          To make something symmetric you may create one half and then Object>Transform>Reflect a copy and align both. To have something to work from, you may just use the View>Show Grid, and you may place things with
          a) The Transform palette/panel, setting the relevant Reference Point and then X and Y values; if you wish to reflect something vertically left to right, you can place the rightmost part of the (left) original at X=0 and the leftmost part of the (right) copy at X=0,
          b) The Align>Distribute, setting the Distribute Spacing to 0.

You may join each set of coinciding endpoint of open paths by DirectSelecting and Ctrl/Cmd+J.

I hope someone can help me out!

Anders

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Grids on top of a drawing?
            AndersTherkildsen Level 1

Thank you for sharing your idea, I will use that in the future! However it is the tracing - while keeping it symmetrical part, that is bugging me.

I want to be able to trace a logo or drawing, and be able to see the grids on top of the original drawing?

• 3. Re: Grids on top of a drawing?

Anders,

You may give the image a reduced transparency in the Transparency palette/panel, to have the grid show through. That may also make it less dominant when working with it.

• 4. Re: Grids on top of a drawing?
                AndersTherkildsen Level 1

Great idea, that will work! Why didn't just think of that?

Thank you!

• 5. Re: Grids on top of a drawing?

You are welcome, Anders.