4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 1:20 PM by bmoussavi

Adjusting timeline framerate

I've found several framerate-related questions when searching through the Adobe forums, but none of them seem to answer my particular issue. I'm currently working on a UI system for a videogame in conjunction with Scaleform, so my needs may be a bit different than some of the other users on here. I hope someone can answer my question though!

Basically, I want to know if there's an easy way to adjust the framerate of a scene in Flash, but have the framerate adjustment scale the keys of all timelines within the FLA file.

For instance, I have a main menu screen saved with a framerate of 60fps. Due to potential memory issues, we would like to get the main menu playing at 30fps. However, if I click the background of the FLA file (outside of the working area), go to the properties tab, and change the fps there, the number is the only thing that changes. The timeline at the top of the screen doesn't scale all of the frames down to match the fps change.

What I'd like to know is, is there an easy way to scale down the frames to match the fps change you make within a scene? I don't want to have to go into each individual movieclip and their corresponding timeline and have to manually adjust their timeline. That would take forever and also be extremely inefficient (what if we wanted to change the framerate to 15fps down the road instead? I'd have to do this all over again).

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Adjusting timeline framerate
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can adjust the framerate or, make it appear to users that you've adjusted the framerate, but that's not necessarily something that you would consider easy.

in as2 you can only adjust the basic framerate in the authoring environment.  in as3, you can adjust the main swf's framerate using actionscript.

in both you can adjust the apparent framerate of any particular movieclip.

in neither is the an "auto" adjustment of your timeline(s).

• 2. Re: Adjusting timeline framerate
            bmoussavi Level 1

Hmm, yeah, I was wondering if there was something a bit simpler that could be done than this even. I would like to try and keep action script out of the equation if possible.

It's just frustrating that this kind of adjustment can't be easily made within Flash. Every 3D program I've ever used does exactly what I'm suggesting here. If the framerate is chopped in half, all the frames reposition to their new, proper positions (so the animations all still look the same visually from a timing standpoint). And, of course, 3D programs also have a graph editor that makes scaling frames super easy to do.

I have spoken with the programmer I will be working with on UI about this matter. He believes he can control framerates in code, but I'm just surprised that there isn't an easier way to manipulate frames in Flash.

Kglad, on a separate note, I wanted to ask you if there was either a plugin that you knew of or just some general way to see a hierarchy within Flash? I know there's a basic hierarchy in between the timeline and the work area that appears when you dive deep into a movieclip's child layers. However, a better graphical representation of a hierarchy tree would be better (again, I'm thinking of the hierarchy trees seen in 3D programs).

• 3. Re: Adjusting timeline framerate
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can use the movie explorer (window/movie explorer) to view (among other things) objects graphically.

• 4. Re: Adjusting timeline framerate
                bmoussavi Level 1

Thanks for the help, kglad.

Sadly, the movie explorer doesn't help much. I'm wondering if that mainly has to do with the way I've set up my scene or if it's generally a relatively useless feature of Flash. Or, maybe just useless for my purposes.

Regardless, thanks for trying. Looks like there aren't really any solutions for my particular problems. I've even tried searching around for Flash extensions without luck.

If anyone else happens to have any insight on either of these things, please let me know!