1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 3:22 PM by JETalmage

seeking symbol sprayer option...plugin?

gabbi Level 1

is there a way to fix/pin/glue a sprayed symbol set to an align edged? i have many times needed something like this - think grass blades or trees on a line...Yes, you can manually do this either by placing each one or shifting them...but i think it would be great to combine the glued aspect with all the power of spray editing - imagine the grass blades rotating about the glued edge...could be very cool

• 1. Re: seeking symbol sprayer option...plugin?
          JETalmage Level 6

The uncontrollable and time-wasting aspects of the Symbolism tools is one of the main reasons why I write myself Javascripts like ReplaceWithSymbol, FillRandom, RandomReplaceSymbol, FauxHalftone, and others, which can be found here.

For example:

1. Draw a curve.
          2. Give it a dash stroke. Round EndCaps, dash 0, space as desired, large stroke weight.
          3. Outline Stroke. Ungroup, Remove Compound.
          4. Run the Replace With Symbol script. Give the script the number of a Symbol of a blade of grass or flower. Instances of the flower replace the dots.
          5. Use Transform Each to randomly, but controllably alter their tilt, scale, etc.

Do the same thing, but instead of using dashed path, use several segments:

1. Draw a curve.
          2. Filter>Distort>ZigZag. Zero size. Absolute. Ridges as desired. Corner points.Select>Object>DirectionHandles.
          3. Edit>Cut.
          4. Delete.
          5. Edit>PasteInFront.
          6. Run the Replace With Symbol script. Give the script the number of a Symbol of a blade of grass or flower. Instances of the flower replace the segments. But this time, the Instances reduce in scale progressively, according to the heights of the segments they replace.

JET