8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 3:38 PM by Jim_Simon

Black BOX around video?

JKepler@rochester.rr.com Level 1

1.) Why are sections of my video are 'boxed in' when I play them on a TV?

I know some of the video I'm working with 'shot by other people' is smaller! — However, the last time I output to a DVD and played it on my FLAT screen TV only the 'sides' where black NOT the top bottom AND sides. Moreover, this time I played it on an OLDER television...not flat screen. I know parts of the old footage I used was filmed on a smaller scale but I wold like to find out if I can fit it to frame without losing too much resolution/proportion.

Is this possible? and is the type of TV a factor? Better-yet CAN I fit this older smaller footage to match other clips that are full frame on an old TV and a newer flat screen TV?

I hope one of you experts can help me. I am now checking the correct answer boxes.

Jill

• 1. Re: Black BOX around video?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Jill,

For DVD you need MPEG2-DVD encoding, which limits you to 720 x 576 PAL or 720 x 480 NTSC. If you use a sequence setting to match that, you can easily see whether you need to scale your footage with the Motion/Scale effect to reflect those dimensions. Notice that upscaling will lead to discernible quality degradation.

The TV on which you play it is irrelevant. Just adhere to the DVD specs.

• 2. Re: Black BOX around video?

Hello:

Where do I find these sequence settings? do you suggest that I give it a shot and scale them. I'm not sure how to do that either. Or with your experience would it be better to leave many of the clips with a blck box around them. I really hate the look of the black box.

Why would there be a black box around some footage on an older TV and only black on the sides on a newer TV?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Black BOX around video?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The most likely answer to that is the difference in overscan areas, which is why safe margins are used.

Create a new sequence, choose a standard DV preset (PAL or NTSC), nest the existing sequence into the new sequence and scale to fit.

• 4. Re: Black BOX around video?

Hello:

Thank you. I'm trying to follow your directions. I went to File-New - New Sequence and created a STANDARD preset (this means I can not select wide screen correct?

I have no idea how to NEST the existing sequence and scale it to fit.

My movie is about an our long. Does this mean that I select the entire finished video AND audio timeline and group it in order to nest it into the new sequence?

I only see the new sequence in my project area next to the bins.

Sorry I'm so ignorant.

Jill

• 5. Re: Black BOX around video?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Ignorance is only temporary. It can be remedied by watching tutorials, reading the help file and/or the manual from front to cover and getting a video education. An approach I highly recommend.

A standard sequence can be either 16x9 widescreen or 4x3. Once created, double click the new sequence to create the timeline for it. Nesting is done by dragging the existing sequence into the new timeline. This is all spelled out in the help file.

• 6. Re: Black BOX around video?

Thank you. Where is the help file?

I noticed that the new standard sequence was 25 fps and my other sequence was 29.97  fps. is this right?

Again do I need to group all my unlinked files (including audio) before I nest it?

I did not get a manual for Premiere is this something you have to purchase? or is there a good one you suggest on-line?

I'm also interested in good tutorial links if anyone knows any for Soundbooth.

I will search too.

Jill

• 7. Re: Black BOX around video?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Thank you. Where is the help file?

Have you noticed a key at the top left of your keyboard, labeled F1? Press it and you will be surprised what it does. Now start reading...

I noticed that the new standard sequence was 25 fps and my other sequence was 29.97  fps. is this right?

No, it is not because you are now mixing PAL and NTSC. Really, if you do not know the very basics, get an education first.

Again do I need to group all my unlinked files (including audio) before I nest it?

No, you need to read up about nesting sequences. Start by pressing the magic button labeled F1.

I did not get a manual for Premiere is this something you have to purchase? or is there a good one you suggest on-line?

You have to buy one separately. Also Classroom in a Book, Lynda.com, the WIKI, Adobe all have heaps of material to study.

• 8. Re: Black BOX around video?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Where is the help file?

Seriously?