12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 5:39 PM by Curt Wrigley

Audio Background Noise CS4

JKepler@rochester.rr.com Level 1

Hello:

I am working with multiple video clips! Some of them are much older and shot around 1986, etc. so when they transition there is a considerable difference in background noise clutter. Humming, suttle buzzing, etc.

How do I get rid of the background noise so that interviews can be heard more sharp. Basically improve the sound of the old interview footage. I am a rookie when it comes to sound editing.

Thank you. I will check the correct answer as soon as Inail it if anyone can help me.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Preferably use Audition to do that, but maybe Soundbooth can do it as well.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4

Are Audition and Soundbooth part of Premiere Pro or are they separate programs?

Is it possible that you can explain how hard it is to do what I'm asking? It may be a lot to ask but can you provide directions?

Thank you I have never tried to do this before.

Jill

• 3. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Audition is a separate program, as is Soundbooth, but Soundbooth is part of the Production Studio and Master Collection. Essentially it is a very dumbed-down version of Audition.

What you need to do is get a 'signature' of a piece of your audio track that contains the humming/crackling and use that to remove it from the complete audio track and replace the original audio with the corrected version. That in essence is all you need to do. Sounds simple, but it requires some experimenting to avoid losing other details in your sound track.

• 4. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4

Great! Thanks for answering my question. Do you know of any good links to video tutorials on how to do this or similar editing in soundbooth? I have soundbooth!

Jill

• 5. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4

Hello again:

when you say 'signature' do you mean razor off a few seconds of audio that contains noise? I the 'signature needs to be the noise and nothing else?

For example I should select a segment of audio that has the noise and a voice I wish to keep?

• 6. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The signature does not need to be long, but it should ONLY contain the humming and other noise, NOT a voice you want to keep.

You need to choose Edit in Soundbooth and there select a part of the waveline as your signature. You can do this in small steps multiple times. Experiment and RTFM. Sorry to be so blunt, but it really pays if you read the help file or manual on how to or watch tutorials.

• 7. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4

Hello:

Actually thought about reporting abuse! You should be sorry and I think maybe you might consider taking a break from this site. I'm not sure why you do it...I don't know if you are paid by Adobe or if this is a vita booster or what...but I'm not convinced that it is to help people.

I would love to take a class or read the manual but I only have 2.5 hours a day to focus on work because I am a professor who resigned from my job to trail my husband and his career 4 months ago and I am now a stay at home mom. In fact I am a professor of Graphic Design and pretty familiar with the suite. However, Video is a new area for me. I guess I am trying to learn through conversation rather than read a manual.

Maybe you have some good reason that I should investigate more and read more before I ask questions or continue a conversation. I am mature enough to admit that. Moreover I think you could have said it in a professional manner and tone.

You don't need to be abusive...

Jill

• 8. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        I only have 2.5 hours a day to focus on work because I am a professor who resigned from my job to trail my husband and his career 4 months ago and I am now a stay at home mom.

Sorry Jill, I have some difficulty in understanding what you mean, you only have 2.5 hours to focus on work from which you resigned? Resign from work in my vocabulary means you have heaps of time. Trail your husband? Did you take up PI work? You are a stay at home mom, but don't have more than 2.5 hours per day?

It makes no sense to me, but probably that is just me. Sorry to be confused.

Maybe this is interesting to read: How to ask questions the smart way

• 9. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          I'm not convinced that it is to help people.

If you look at the number of points Harm has, which can only be given by posters such as yourself for correct or helpful answers, you'll see he's pretty up there.  Despite the way it sounds out loud, Harm does help.

And he makes a good point in that this software is designed for professionals.  One should have a proper educational foundation before trying to use it.  Otherwise unnecessary difficulty will ensue.

• 10. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Jill,

Harm's post wasn't even close to abuse.  As a moderator of this forum, I know what constitutes abuse.

The programs in Adobe's Production Studio collection are complex, as you have discovered.  Using them effectively requires a significant time investment, even with the help that forum members can provide.  It's perfectly alright if you don't have the time to invest right now.  Just be aware that without spending that time, your results may be less than satisfactory, and your editing experience frustrating.

We can help you if you're willing to help us by doing your "due diligence".

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4
                              Level 1

Jill,

Your samples of video clips are old and noisy so this isn't going to help much, but it will put things in perspective.

When films and professional videos are shot (tv shows, movies, etc.) the soundman (sound recorder / mixer ) on the set will get what is called "room tone" at the end of each scene.  This is just everyone being extremely quiet on the set for about 2 minutes while a sound recording is made of what the room sounds like when it is quiet.

Sometimes there are lights that might be making a slight humming noise or there might be some air conditioning unit on the stage next door making some noise through the duct system...

basically that "room tone" is background noise.

That is used by the soundman to eliminate it from his soundtrack later on.  There are filters and special tricks to get rid of the noise.

so the suggestions above have been about trying to steer you toward focusing on the "noise" part of your soundtrack so it can be eliminated.

it won't be as easy for you as it is for someone who made a separate "room tone" track when the original recording was made.

: )

Rod

• 12. Re: Audio Background Noise CS4
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

JKepler@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Great! Thanks for answering my question. Do you know of any good links to video tutorials on how to do this or similar editing in soundbooth? I have soundbooth!

Jill

Watch?listen to this tutorial:

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tutdes_soundbooth_noisecancel.htm