8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 11:58 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Update Illustrator 5.5 to 9

amesahchie

Can you use the 9.0 Illustrator upgrade for Mac to upgrade Illustrator 5.5?  I know someone must have asked this before but I looked all over the Illustrator forum and didn't find an answer. Appreciate any help on this.  :  )

• 1. Re: Update Illustrator 5.5 to 9
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Back then when they had upgrades it was for an upgrade of the previous version as opposed to the current method of allowing you to upgrade from two or three version prior to the current version.

I would say no as I have versions 8 and 9 and 8 is required for the upgrade to 9.

You are out of luck.

• 2. Re: Update Illustrator 5.5 to 9
            amesahchie Level 1

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info!

• 3. Re: Update Illustrator 5.5 to 9
              shunithD Level 3

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

Back then when they had upgrades it was for an upgrade of the previous version as opposed to the current method of allowing you to upgrade from two or three version prior to the current version.

Wade are you sure? If i remember right, Photoshop was unlimited... I think the two versions below started with CS2 or maybe even CS3...

• 4. Re: Update Illustrator 5.5 to 9
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I am pretty certain you are wrong. And the same went for Photoshop.

• 5. Re: Update Illustrator 5.5 to 9
                  Harron K. Appleman Level 4

My memory is cloudy, but it concurs with shunith's.

For many years, Adobe had a version-unrestricted upgrade policy. That is, any previous version of a program would qualify for upgrade installation, and there was no graduated pricing based on version. An upgrade product was identical to the full product in terms of install files, and the only difference was that, for the upgrade version, you had to have a previous version installed or else have the old install disc(s) or diskette(s) handy. There was only one price charged for the upgrade version. This changed fairly recently... circa CS3, I believe.

I remember upgrading Photoshop and Illustrator many times in many different situations on both platforms over the years. I really do believe it is only recently that Adobe has started "punishing" loyal customers for not buying every upgrade that comes down the pike. I remember Quark, on the other hand, has always had a more restrictive upgrade policy, charging you more with older previous versions.

I could be wrong.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Update Illustrator 5.5 to 9
                    shunithD Level 3

Harron K. Appleman wrote:

My memory is cloudy....

For many years, Adobe had a version-unrestricted upgrade policy. That is, any previous version of a program would qualify for upgrade installation, and there was no graduated pricing based on version. An upgrade product was identical to the full product in terms of install files, and the only difference was that, for the upgrade version, you had to have a previous version installed or else have the old install disc(s) or diskette(s) handy. There was only one price charged for the upgrade version. This changed fairly recently... circa CS3, I believe.

I remember upgrading Photoshop and Illustrator many times in many different situations on both platforms over the years. I really do believe it is only recently that Adobe has started "punishing" loyal customers for not buying every upgrade that comes down the pike. I remember Quark, on the other hand, has always had a more restrictive upgrade policy, charging you more with older previous versions.

I could be wrong.

No Harron, that was it... as far as PS goes i'm sure - i used to pay for it myself! Illustrator <shrug>... my first Illustrator was CS2 and now, the company updates... But am sure the same licensing would have applied across the board.

And yes, the 'punishment' was recent...

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Update Illustrator 5.5 to 9
                      amesahchie Level 1

Hi all,

So, the answer is yes. I purchased an upgrade to Illustrator 9.0 and had no problem whatsoever upgrading my Illustrator 5.5.

Thanks for all your input.  Hope this helps someone else in my situation. Bye the way, this was a MAC installation. Don't know

about Windows but I can't see why it wouldn't work there too.

• 8. Re: Update Illustrator 5.5 to 9
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Glad I was wrong.