21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 9:13 AM by

DW adding "template folder" when it should not be

shonts Level 1
      Hi I have a form on a website the action is post: large_form.php
      when I upload the page Dreamweaver adds the "templates/" to the url so the page can not be found
      http://www.joltconsulting.com.au/Templates/large_form.php .
      large_form.php is most definitely NOT in the template folder it is in the route folder how can I get DW to stop adding in "templates/".

I am sure the issue is with DW, as a test I sent my html pages to someone who uploaded them with a different FTP program and the form worked fine "templates" was not added. Obviously I can not get someone to upload my pages for me. I am using DW CS2. I have never had this issue before.

I had to replace my hardrive a short while ago and had to re-install all my software the issue has been since then though i am not sure if related.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I really need to sort this out quickly.

thanks Shontelle

the website is www.joltconsulting.com.au/aboutus.html when you enter your name and email in the small form top right you should be directed to the larger form - currenlty getting a 404 error because the form is NOT in the template folder.

• 1. Re: DW adding "template folder" when it should not be
          Level 7
          > how can I get DW to stop adding in "templates/".

Is the page containing the form saved in the Templates folder? Are you
          manually adding the path to the form processing script to the action
          attribute of the <form> tag?

> I am sure the issue is with DW

Actually the issue is with DW's operator. It's only doing what it thinks
          you are telling it to do.

Your link is bad.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"shonts" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g2gri9$av4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi I have a form on a website the action is post: large_form.php
          > when I upload the page Dreamweaver adds the "templates/" to the url so
          > the
          > page can not be found
          > http://www.joltconsulting.com.au/Templates/large_form.php .
          > large_form.php is most definitely NOT in the template folder it is in the
          > route folder how can I get DW to stop adding in "templates/".
          >
          > I am sure the issue is with DW, as a test I sent my html pages to someone
          > who
          > uploaded them with a different FTP program and the form worked fine
          > "templates"
          > was not added. Obviously I can not get someone to upload my pages for me.
          > I am
          > using DW CS2. I have never had this issue before.
          >
          > I had to replace my hardrive a short while ago and had to re-install all
          > my
          > software the issue has been since then though i am not sure if related.
          >
          > Has anyone had this happen to them? I really need to sort this out
          > quickly.
          >
          > thanks Shontelle
          >
          > the website is www.joltconsulting.com.au/aboutus.html when you enter your
          > name
          > and email in the small form top right you should be directed to the larger
          > form
          > - currenlty getting a 404 error because the form is NOT in the template
          > folder.
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >

• 2. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
            shonts Level 1
            Hello thanks for your reply.

The page is not in the templates folder the template folder only contains:
            The template I used for the site "main.dwt"

The file large_form.php is in the root folder along with all the pages (index.html, aboutus.html etc....)

When in Dreamweaver on when i click on the from tag and in the properties box I see action and beside it says large_form.php (NOT templates/large_form.php)
            below is method:POST.

It is only once it is uploaded via dreamweaver that the link becomes templates/large_form.php.
            I agree the link is bad but I have now idea how it is ending up that way, I realize it sounds strange and looks like I have the form in my templates folder but I assure you I do not.

Also when someone else uploads the pages for me outside of DW the path works (templates/ does not appear) obviously I can not rely on someone else to upload pages for me.....

I am desperate to fix this but have no clue how to.

shontelle

• 3. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
              Level 7
              I don't have an answer for the main question...but the link you provided
              is pointing to aboutus.html, but the link on your homepage points to
              about.html.

shonts wrote:
              > Hello thanks for your reply.
              >
              > The page is not in the templates folder the template folder only contains:
              > The template I used for the site "main.dwt"
              >
              > The file large_form.php is in the root folder along with all the pages
              > (index.html, aboutus.html etc....)
              >
              > When in Dreamweaver on when i click on the from tag and in the properties box
              > I see action and beside it says large_form.php (NOT templates/large_form.php)
              > below is method:POST.
              >
              > It is only once it is uploaded via dreamweaver that the link becomes
              > templates/large_form.php.
              > I agree the link is bad but I have now idea how it is ending up that way, I
              > realize it sounds strange and looks like I have the form in my templates folder
              > but I assure you I do not.
              >
              > Also when someone else uploads the pages for me outside of DW the path works
              > (templates/ does not appear) obviously I can not rely on someone else to upload
              > pages for me.....
              >
              > I am desperate to fix this but have no clue how to.
              >
              > shontelle
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              • 4. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                Level 7
                What is in your HTTP Address field in the local site definition?

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                ==================

news:g2h1vg$hat$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hello thanks for your reply.
                >
                > The page is not in the templates folder the template folder only contains:
                > The template I used for the site "main.dwt"
                >
                > The file large_form.php is in the root folder along with all the pages
                > (index.html, aboutus.html etc....)
                >
                > When in Dreamweaver on when i click on the from tag and in the properties
                > box
                > I see action and beside it says large_form.php (NOT
                > templates/large_form.php)
                >
                > I agree the link is bad but I have now idea how it is ending up that way,
                > I
                > realize it sounds strange and looks like I have the form in my templates
                > folder
                > but I assure you I do not.
                >
                > Also when someone else uploads the pages for me outside of DW the path
                > works
                > (templates/ does not appear) obviously I can not rely on someone else to
                > upload
                > pages for me.....
                >
                > I am desperate to fix this but have no clue how to.
                >
                > shontelle
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >

• 5. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                  shonts Level 1
                  Hi

the address in my site definition is

teamallwood:CitrusPages:ROOT FOLDERS:2008:jolt2:

I was having permissions trouble using DW between users on the same machine (leopard mac) so I moved all my route files to my external drive (named teamallwood) - cpuld this be the cause?
                  I have been using DW for a few years and never had this problem. It has all started recently I have noticed another site with the same addition of "templates/" into the code where it should no be.

shontelle
                  • 6. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                    shonts Level 1
                    in additon to my earlier response I moved the root file from my external to my main account so that the path became users>>shontelle>>rootfolders>>Jolt2008
                    and the problem persists. I have also found the problem on one of my other sites (templates/) added to code once the html page is uploaded to server but does not exist in my local code.

Has anyone else had anything like this?? could it be leopard??

Shontelle

• 7. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                      Level 7
                      > could it be leopard??

No. It's something in your site definition.

Can you post the contents of each field in your Local site definition tab,
                      please.

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:g2jddu$5m7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > in additon to my earlier response I moved the root file from my external
                      > to my
                      > main account so that the path became
                      > users>>shontelle>>rootfolders>>Jolt2008
                      > and the problem persists. I have also found the problem on one of my
                      > other
                      > sites (templates/) added to code once the html page is uploaded to server
                      > but
                      > does not exist in my local code.
                      >
                      > Has anyone else had anything like this?? could it be leopard??
                      >
                      > Shontelle
                      >
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                        shonts Level 1
                        Hello here are the local info definitions.

site name:Jolt2
                        Local root folder: teamallwood:CitrusPages:ROOT FOLDERS:2008:jolt2:
                        Default images folder (blank)
                        Links relative to: (radio buttons Document/ Site Root) document selected (should it be root??)

case-sensitive links: (not selected)
                        Cache: (enable cache selected.)

thanks - shontelle
                        • 9. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                          Level 7
                          The HTTP address field?

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

news:g2jffl$82e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Hello here are the local info definitions.
                          >
                          > site name:Jolt2
                          > Local root folder: teamallwood:CitrusPages:ROOT FOLDERS:2008:jolt2:
                          > Default images folder (blank)
                          > Links relative to: (radio buttons Document/ Site Root) document selected
                          > (should it be root??)
                          >
                          > case-sensitive links: (not selected)
                          > Cache: (enable cache selected.)
                          >
                          >
                          > thanks - shontelle
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                            Level 7

> When in Dreamweaver on when i click on the from tag and in the properties box
                            > I see action and beside it says large_form.php (NOT templates/large_form.php)
                            >

Please post a link to an exact page where the code has /Templates/something

Or to a page where when you click Something (what?) the browser goes to
                            /Templates/something

I'm reaching and thinking it's a form validation js problem.

the links you've posted so far have no code with Templates in it, other than
                            the proper template comment at top of page.

--
                            Alan
                            Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 11. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                              shonts Level 1
                              sorry obviously losing the plot.
                              http: address is:
                              http://joltconsulting.com.au/www/
                              • 12. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                                shonts Level 1
                                Hello sorry as I needed to get the site working for client as a work around I sent my html files to a colleague who removed the word template that was being added by dreamweaver (does not exist in template but is added on child pages) then uploaded them for me (outside of dreameaver) so if you have been viewing in the last hour the site has been fixed .

But here is another site I have with the same issue

here is the link: http://itsasignco.com/design.html

if you view source you will see :
                                </style>
                                <link href="truestyles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
                                <script type="text/javascript" src="Templates/p7exp/p7exp.js"></script>
                                <!--[if lte IE 7]>
                                <style>
                                #menuwrapper, #p7menubar ul a {height: 1%;}
                                a:active {width: auto;}
                                </style>
                                <![endif]-->

the line after link href="truestyles.css....... points to "Templates/p7exp/p7exp.js"

but in the template itself that same line of code apprears like so:
                                -->
                                </style>
                                <link href="../truestyles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
                                <script type="text/javascript" src="p7exp/p7exp.js"></script>
                                <!--[if lte IE 7]>
                                <style>
                                #menuwrapper, #p7menubar ul a {height: 1%;}
                                a:active {width: auto;}
                                </style>
                                <![endif]-->

(with out the word template.) At first I thought the word template was being added on upload but it is actually being added when I create or save a child page.

thanks Shontelle
                                • 13. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                                  Level 7

If that's in the Template file, then it's a mistake.

All links in the TEMPLATE file should be one of three kinds -

1. Relative to the template file, e.g.,

<a href="../ (meaning that you must go up one level from the template folder
                                  to reach the root of the site, hence all other files, since none of them
                                  should be in the templates folder)

2. Relative to the site root, e.g.,

<a href="/ (meaning that one would begin looking for the linked file at the
                                  root of the site and follow the pathing from that point)

3. Absolute, e.g.,

<a href=" http:// (meaning that the link is to a page external to the site).

--
                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                  ==================
                                  ==================

news:g2jjc3$cc2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > Hello sorry as I needed to get the site working for client as a work
                                  > around I
                                  > sent my html files to a colleague who removed the word template that was
                                  > being
                                  > added by dreamweaver (does not exist in template but is added on child
                                  > pages)
                                  > then uploaded them for me (outside of dreameaver) so if you have been
                                  > viewing
                                  > in the last hour the site has been fixed .
                                  >
                                  > But here is another site I have with the same issue
                                  >
                                  > here is the link: http://itsasignco.com/design.html
                                  >
                                  > if you view source you will see :
                                  > </style>
                                  > <link href="truestyles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
                                  > media="screen" />
                                  > <script type="text/javascript" src="Templates/p7exp/p7exp.js"></script>
                                  > <!--[if lte IE 7]>
                                  > <style>
                                  > #menuwrapper, #p7menubar ul a {height: 1%;}
                                  > a:active {width: auto;}
                                  > </style>
                                  > <![endif]-->
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > the line after link href="truestyles.css....... points to
                                  > "Templates/p7exp/p7exp.js"
                                  >
                                  > but in the template itself that same line of code apprears like so:
                                  > -->
                                  > </style>
                                  > <link href="../truestyles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
                                  > media="screen"
                                  > />
                                  > <script type="text/javascript" src="p7exp/p7exp.js"></script>
                                  > <!--[if lte IE 7]>
                                  > <style>
                                  > #menuwrapper, #p7menubar ul a {height: 1%;}
                                  > a:active {width: auto;}
                                  > </style>
                                  > <![endif]-->
                                  >
                                  > (with out the word template.) At first I thought the word template was
                                  > being
                                  > added on upload but it is actually being added when I create or save a
                                  > child
                                  > page.
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > thanks Shontelle
                                  >

• 14. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                                    shonts Level 1
                                    ahh....... thanks If it is any consultation it is equally frustrating being me as it would be trying to help me..............

thanks again

S.
                                    • 15. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                                      Level 7
                                      If the link in the template file is NOT correct based on the location of the
                                      template file, then it will not be correct in any child page.

--
                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                      ==================
                                      ==================

news:g2jl9a$ejj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > ahh....... thanks If it is any consultation it is equally frustrating
                                      > being me as it would be trying to help me..............
                                      >
                                      > thanks again
                                      >
                                      > S.

• 16. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                                        Level 7

> the line after link href="truestyles.css....... points to
                                        > "Templates/p7exp/p7exp.js"

Is the p7exp folder inside of the Templates folder?

If yes, it's in the Templates folder, it doesn't belong there. Use the Files
                                        panel to move it to the root level of the site, then doublecheck all links
                                        to it.

only .dwt template files belong in the Templates folder. No other files at
                                        all belong there.

--
                                        Alan
                                        Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 17. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                                          shonts Level 1
                                          Hi Allen,

No the script is NOT inside the template folder. It only appears as if it is seems when i create a page from the template. This is an old website the problem is new, changing the link to absolute as Murry suggested seems to have fixed ithe issue on this site though I am still curious as to why the problem suddenly occurred. And looking through my other sites for similar issues.

I recently lost my hard drive and had to reinstall dreamweaver, I did do a search for software updates when i set up new hardrive though I do not specifically recall a dreamweaver update I can not see where in the program I should check for software updates - I am on version 8 CS2 is there an update I need to do?

Thanks - shontelle
                                          • 18. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                                            Level 7
                                            > changing the link to absolute as Murry suggested seems to have
                                            > fixed ithe issue on this site though I am still curious as to why the
                                            > problem
                                            > suddenly occurred.

If that's the solution you came away with then you misread my posts. I did
                                            NOT recommend you make the links absolute. I suggested that you were not
                                            understanding the fact that the LINK MUST BE CORRECT FOR THE TEMPLATE PAGE.
                                            In the case of the link that you showed it *was not correct for the template
                                            page* since it points to a file at the same level as the template -

...snip...
                                            but in the template itself that same line of code apprears like so:
                                            -->
                                            </style>
                                            <link href="../truestyles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
                                            media="screen"
                                            />
                                            ...snip...

Note that the template file CANNOT contain a link (src="p7exp/p7exp.js") if
                                            that p7exp folder is NOT in the Templates folder. DW is doing exactly what
                                            it should be doing to manage that link. The point of my post was that your
                                            links in the Template file are incorrect right from the get-go. This is why
                                            the "Templates/" folder is being inserted in your child pages.

--
                                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                            Adobe Community Expert
                                            ==================
                                            ==================

news:g2kd94$apt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                            > Hi Allen,
                                            >
                                            > No the script is NOT inside the template folder. It only appears as if it
                                            > is
                                            > seems when i create a page from the template. This is an old website the
                                            > problem is new, changing the link to absolute as Murry suggested seems to
                                            > have
                                            > fixed ithe issue on this site though I am still curious as to why the
                                            > problem
                                            > suddenly occurred. And looking through my other sites for similar issues.
                                            >
                                            > I recently lost my hard drive and had to reinstall dreamweaver, I did do a
                                            > search for software updates when i set up new hardrive though I do not
                                            > specifically recall a dreamweaver update I can not see where in the
                                            > program I
                                            > should check for software updates - I am on version 8 CS2 is there an
                                            > update I
                                            > need to do?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks - shontelle
                                            >

• 19. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                                              shonts Level 1
                                              Hi,

I shut my computer off got some sleep and reread all the posts on this issue. The problem is sorted now and I am sorry I mis read earlier posts preventing me from realizing that the solution was simply fixing my incorrect links.

Thanks for your time.

Shontelle
                                              • 20. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                                                Level 7
                                                Good for you. That was indeed the problem - DW was only doing what you were
                                                telling it to do!

--
                                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                Adobe Community Expert
                                                ==================
                                                ==================

news:g30nv9$b7k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                > Hi,
                                                >
                                                > I shut my computer off got some sleep and reread all the posts on this
                                                > issue.
                                                > The problem is sorted now and I am sorry I mis read earlier posts
                                                > preventing me
                                                > from realizing that the solution was simply fixing my incorrect links.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks for your time.
                                                >
                                                > Shontelle
                                                >

• 21. Re: DW adding &quot;template folder&quot; when it should not be
                                                  Information is not enough can give any other option