3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 8:23 AM by Captiv8r

    Webhelp search not working in 1 project

    Nick@Tag Level 2

      Robohelp 8 HTML

       

      Hi all,

      For some reason, the search in my webhelp output is not working in 1 particular project. No matter what I search for the results are always zero, and I know these words/terms are in there....I've checked across all browsers and its not working anywhere.

       

      The AIR version of the project searches fine and all works, so its something specific with webhelp.

       

       

      I can't figure out why.Is there somewhere that I can check or something I can do, I haven't made any particular changes to the project recently, nothing that I believe should be affecting the search. I tried re-publishing with and without the substring search adn still nothing.

      Other projects I've just published and the search works on them fine.

       

      Few Notes:

      I do not have 508 compliance on.

      Generating DHTML, not Pure HTML.

      Have tried generating to different folders, no change.

      Fail with and without substring search enabled.

       

      Any ideas welcome.

       

      Thanks, Nick

       

      PS. Probably better for this to be in the webhelp forum, move if you can. Thanks,

        • 1. Re: Webhelp search not working in 1 project
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

          Hi Nick

           

          Moved the thread.

           

          Question for you. Immediately after you generate the WebHelp, you are presented the option to view the output from your hard drive. (Assuming you are exercising best practice here and generating to the hard drive)

           

          Is search also broken there or does it work?

           

          If it's broken there, you have a project (or maybe RoboHelp install) issue to resolve. If it's broken only when viewed from the server, you have either got a problem with the output files on the server, some server configuration or something in the browser breaking things.

           

          Cheers... Rick

           

           

           

          Helpful and Handy Links

          RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

          Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

          Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

          SorcerStone Blog

          RoboHelp eBooks

          • 2. Re: Webhelp search not working in 1 project
            Nick@Tag Level 2

            Its fixed.....no idea why....

             

            I deleted my CPD, nothing changed, still no search results.

            So I restarted my PC, opened RH, removed the Mark of the Web option, and W3C option, generated and it worked, I re-instated those 2 settings 1 at a time and it still works, in all browsers, so it doesnt seem these 2 settings were effecting the output. I suppose the restart did something......very strange.

             

            btw, no I dont publish locally, I publish to a server location. means I dont have to copy the latest versions over to the server for people to use and view everytime I publish something new. Haven't had any problems with it using this method, and I'd be surprised if this problem was caused by it, I tried to publish locally, and to a different location on the server and the error was still coming up.

             

            suppose RH just spat the dummy at something......

            • 3. Re: Webhelp search not working in 1 project
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

              Hi Nick

               

              This could explain why things broke. It sounds like you need to understand the process better.

               

              Generating and Publishing are two distinctly different actions. Consider your project to be like baking cookies. When you generate, you are putting the cookies in the oven and out pops baked cookies.

               

              Publishing is the action of copying content from your local storage to the server. It's like moving the baked cookies to the display case where customers may grab them up.

               

              A server is a very busy place. The action of generating normally clears and removes content from the location where you generate. It's helpful if nothing else is going on at that time. Thus, we recommend you generate to your local hard drive. Normally to a folder inside the !SSL! folder. Then you configure a server destination where you publish. What you are doing is like removing all the baked cookies (or trying to) and then moving straight from the oven to the display case. Usually you place the cookies in an intermediate spot to cool.

               

              When you click the Publish button (after you have configured things) RoboHelp will dutifully copy files from your hard drive to the server. The first time through, it has to copy ALL the files. It also makes a list of which files were copied. Then on subsequent publish cycles, only the changed content is published. This means it publishes much quicker. I've seen it where the first publish took perhaps 20 minutes to complete. Five topics were changed and help was re-generated and the Publish cycle took perhaps 15 seconds.

               

              As you can hopefully see, you probably felt you were saving a step. In reality, you were probably causing yourself an issue.

               

              Cheers... Rick

               

               

               

              Helpful and Handy Links

              RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

              Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

              Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

              SorcerStone Blog

              RoboHelp eBooks