19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 7:31 AM by TomSlat

Canon MTS files

TomSlat

Hiya,

I am shooting with a Canon HFS100 and Premiere does not like the MTS file format. Is there an intermediate step I need to take to convert the files into something premiere can read? I did try capturing straight from the camera but to no avail.

Thanks!

~TPS

• 1. Re: Canon MTS files
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You can't capture from a non-tape based camera.

You need to import the complete directory structure for AVCHD material.

• 2. Re: Canon MTS files
            TomSlat Level 1

In both View As: 'File Directory' or 'AVHD', I drill down to get to a readable file which is the MTS, and am getting:

/Volumes/CANON/PRIVATE/AVHD/BDMV/STREAM/0000.MTS

File format not supported.

Thanks!

~TPS

• 3. Re: Canon MTS files
              Harm Millaard Level 7

That is to be expected. You need to import the complete directory structure.

• 4. Re: Canon MTS files
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What version of Pr?

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Canon MTS files
                  TomSlat Level 1

I am running CS4.

Per the help and Harm's direction, I copied the BDMV folder from the SD card into the same directory as the project file. When browsing using both the View as: AVHD & File Structure, I still get the 'File Not Supported' error when double clicking the MTS files.

Thanks!

~TPS

• 6. Re: Canon MTS files
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Any chance you're running the trial version?  Nothing MPEG works with the trial.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Canon MTS files
                      ChrissaSwenson

I think Jeff's question has your answer.

Once you have a full version of 4.1 or 4.2, you will be able to work with them just fine.

Use the media browser if they are still in-camera, and tell it to find AVCHD versus File Directory.

If you want to copy them to the PC, bring over the whole "AVCHD" directory in which the Stream directory exists.

Again, that won't happen until you get a full, recent version.

After that, when they are all in your project, highlight them and right-click "Interpret Footage" and set the field to "No Field - Progressive" and they will play more smoothly.  Of course, make sure you pick the proper project preset from the start.

• 8. Re: Canon MTS files
                        ChrissaSwenson Level 1

Harm, he may have his wording wrong here, calling "capture" what we know as "in-camera retreival" of files.

Some folks actually use the MBrowser to grab only what they need out of the camera via direct fetch into the source monitor and trimming BEFORE importing stuff.

I find it a bit slower than putting the files on my PC and using them from there, but the transfer that I do prior to work takes time, too, so it may be an even deal.

• 9. Re: Canon MTS files
                          TomSlat Level 1

So after some fiddling, I'm still at square one. Still get the "File not supported"...

- I am in fact running the full version (part of Mater Collection).

- I just downloaded and installed 4.2.1 update; rebooted.

- My Sequence preset is standard NTSC 32k

- I set the camcorder to shoot in PF24 as well the standard 60i in two clips. Neither worked.

- I've tried both importing straight from the SD card and copying the entire contents of the SD card locally.

Thanks!

~TPS

• 10. Re: Canon MTS files
                            TomSlat Level 1

I forgot something:

After the 4.2.1 update, instead of drilling down into the folder structure, the media browser now shows "reading..." for quite some time. I figure something's up if nothing happens after a few minutes...?

Thanks!

~TPS

• 11. Re: Canon MTS files
                              ChrissaSwenson Level 1

Why did you choose NTSC as a preset?

I've been assuming your cam is taking files of the AVCHD type.

If they are, try an AVCHD preset and then see if it recognizes MTS files.

• 12. Re: Canon MTS files
                                TomSlat Level 1

You make a good point!

I tried various presets under the AVC-Intra preset options. I don't see any others that are explicitly 'AVCHD'.

Nonetheless, the browser still sticks at "reading..."

Thanks!

~TPS

• 13. Re: Canon MTS files
                                  jefbak Level 1

My panasonic uses .MTS files. I copy them from the camera to the computer first. I copy the files right out of the Stream folder and not the whole directory stucture. Then I import them into by premiere CS4 project. There are several AVCHD presets in the Sequence settings for various formats. I use 720p30 for instance and it works just great. Even the progressive field getis intrepreted correctly.

Now you can take the files and create an intermediate format with cineform or something like that, but I have not found that to be necessary.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: Canon MTS files
                                    TomSlat Level 1

I am not seeing any AVCHD presets in my setup. Per the attached image, does anybody see something missing?

Thanks!

~TPS

Screen shot 2009-12-08 at 4.32.31 PM.png

• 15. Re: Canon MTS files
                                      jefbak Level 1

You are missing the AVCHD group sure enough.

-Jeff

• 16. Re: Canon MTS files
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks like you need to deactivate, uninstall, run Clean Script CS4 2 or 3 times, reinstall, activate and update. Your version is like the trial version, no MPEG support at all, so this is the only reliable way to solve this.

• 17. Re: Canon MTS files
                                          TomSlat Level 1

Ouch! That goes for the whole suite, doesn't it?

• 18. Re: Canon MTS files
                                            ChrissaSwenson Level 1

I'm with Harm.  You seem to have a bad/incomplete installation, and it might indeed take doing those repeated Installer Cleanup operations.

I don't thiink the installer package will require you to remove anything but Premier Pro, if I recall.

Although my question about AVCHD did not mean that you can't open MTS files in an NTSC preset (you can, but you'll miss material), it was curious to me that you chose the latter.

In the future, just as a rule, try to match your preset choice to the footage format.  You can always encode out later to other formats.

On a side note, my Canon HFS11 mts files do not have a field-order tag on them, so I have to set the interpretation to progressive.

Chrissa

• 19. Re: Canon MTS files
                                              TomSlat Level 1

That did the trick. Thank you for all of your help!