4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 11:30 AM by jefbak

60fps footage in 30fps timeline plays with artifacts problem

jefbak Level 1

I have to types of footage for a project: 720P 60fps shot in avchd and 1080P 30 shot with an HDV camera.

I am trying to combine the clips in the Premiere pro CS 4.1 AVHD 720P30 sequence preset. I do have to resize the 1080P footage but that is fine. The 60P footage plays at the correct speed, but it is filled with artifacts during playback in the timeline.

When I view the 60fps footage in the AVCHD 720P60 sequence preset, it playse back smoothy with no artifacts.

Am I missing a setting (such as frame blend maybe) or should I just try to edit everything in a 72060fps sequence and hope the hdv footage will be okay?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: 60fps footage in 30fps timeline plays with artifacts problem
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You'd probably be better off using a sequence with a 60fps timebase. The reason is that, when using your 60fps footage in a 30fps sequence, every other frame is going to be dumped (resulting in a stutter), or if Frame Blend is enabled, you'll likely see some unattractive smearing/ghosting. If you use the 30fps footage in a 60fps sequence, you can disable Frame Blending and each frame will be duplicated to pad out to 60fps--which should be fundamentally identical to the 30fps footage playing back in a 30fps sequence. Make sense?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 60fps footage in 30fps timeline plays with artifacts problem
            jefbak Level 1

I think I get it. Thanks. Now the only thing is the Source monitor plays the footage with smearing and artifacts you mentioned with the 720p60 footage in the 60fps sequence. But when I drag the footage to the timeline, it plays fine in the program monitor.

Is there a way to stop frame blending in the source? Perhaps it is a Drop Frame/ Non Drop Frame setting?

-Jeff

• 3. Re: 60fps footage in 30fps timeline plays with artifacts problem
              Colin Brougham Level 6

That's strange--the Source monitor is, as far as I'm aware, frame rate and format-agnostic, and should playback whatever is in it at its native frame rate. Unlike a sequence (and therefore, the Program monitor), it bends to the will of the material it contains, regardless of what it is. I'm indeed bewildered by this, and I'm sorry to say I don't have any idea what the problem might be. Did you change the interpretation of the footage after you imported it, or is it "as-is"? What is the playback quality setting for the source monitor?

EDIT: By way of example, the screen shot below shows a 29.97P clip in the source monitor, and then the same clip and frame in a 23.976 sequence. Frame Blending is on for the clip in the sequence, resulting in the smear, but that's not a problem in the source monitor:

ghosting.png

• 4. Re: 60fps footage in 30fps timeline plays with artifacts problem
                jefbak Level 1

I had to set the Source monitor to "Highest" Quality instead of Automatic and it works fine now. HDV always worked in the Automatic setting but not AVCHD, at least not on my mac pro.