0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 9:28 AM by farmhead1776

Help me decide my next consumer grade camcorder upgrade

farmhead1776

I use PPro 1.5

I don’t have anyone I can talk to about this.  I am going to open it up to the forum community which has helped me so much in the past.  I’ve been using PPro since 2002.  I almost exclusively work with my own home video but sometimes will accept outside work to help pay for my system and camcorder upgrades. I shoot about eight hours of video a year with my camcorders and am up to 2004 on my editing.  I usually end up with about half of what I shoot being worth keeping.

Camcorders I own;

Sony TRV65 – Analog Hi8

Sony TRV240 - Digital 8, has good pass through analog->DV conversion

Sony TRV950 – MiniDV SD 3CCD, has good pass through analog->DV conversion

When I upgraded from the TRV65 to the TRV240 the quality improvement was great.  Upgrading to the TRV950 was not nearly the quality per dollar benefit but there was a noticeable improvement jumping to the 3CCDs.

I have been considering an HD camcorder for some time and have been lurking around the forums here and other sites.  This is a “what if” I’ve been playing around with.

What if I bought a Canon HV30 refurbished from Tigerdirect.com for $500?

It could still play/capture my extensive backlog/inventory of SD MiniDV tapes.  I could begin to shoot in HD and accumulate HDV tapes for editing.  I will need to upgrade my system (Tyan Thunder K7 S2462NG) and Video Collection Professional before I can even think about making the editing jump. That is a couple of years away.

I could sell the TRV65 on ebay.  Amazingly it still has some value due to its legendary “Xray” capabilities.  It might bring $100-$300.  I could sell the TRV950 on ebay too.  It might bring $300-$500.  I could possibly come out money ahead.  I need to.  I have right next to NO MONEY.

I’d like to open this up to discussion.  Thanks in advance.