2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 6:40 AM by Mika Järvinen

How to cut upper and lower parts in PrE8?

Mika Järvinen Level 1

Hey!

What is the best way to "cut out" upper and lower parts from video screen and finalizing that as a film? I try to get wide "filmic" look with that but I am not quite sure how to do it right. I found and effect that adds adjustable black "stripes" to upper and lower part of the screen but is there a way to finalize to movie counting only those pixels in that really show us the picture?

If I use the effect, the film is still rendered to 1280x720 pixels but I try to avoid rendering those "blacked" pixels up and down on the screen.

Okey, I am not sure If I am making my self clear with this crappy description but I hope you understand. ;-)

Thanks,

-Mike

• 1. Re: How to cut upper and lower parts in PrE8?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you trying to turn a 4:3 video into a 16:9?

There's a way to fake it -- although it involves upscaling, so your video may not look crystal clear.

To do this:

1) Export your completed video from your current project by going to Share/Personal Computer/AVI.

2) Open a new project. Go to your project settings and change them to widescreen.

3) Get Media/PC Files and Folders to add the AVI your created in step 1 to your project, then add the clip to your timeline.

4) Right-click on your clip on the timeline and select Show Properties to open the Properties panel.

5) Open the Motion property in the Properties panel and set the scale to 133%.

Voila!

• 2. Re: How to cut upper and lower parts in PrE8?
            Mika Järvinen Level 1

Oh yes, it was it! Atleast my practising worked out just good. Thanks again Steve!

-Mike