6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2010 4:59 AM by Dominic Michael RSS

Uninstall Contribute Toolbar in Firefox 3.0

brandtzipp Community Member

Hi there, I apologize if this info is already posted somewhere obvious, but I have scoured the web for a long time and looked through the forum and I can't find an answer. I had installed Contribute CS3 (I believe it was) along with the Firefox toolbar, then subsequently uninstalled Contribute, but it didn't take the toolbar with it. For months now, whenever I load Firefox I get a kind-of-annoying error message about no updates being available, and I believe I have traced it directly to this disabled toolbar. (Even so, I want to uninstall it either way.)

The problem is, I can't uninstall it. The thing was completely unuseable, but I installed a trial version of Contribute CS4 last night. The toolbar is back, so thinking now I could just uninstall everything, I went ahead and nuked Contribute CS4 (this is all in Vista, btw), but the toolbar is still there. It's not even disabled, it's just there, and I can't get rid of this sucker.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on how to uninstall this thing? Will REALLY appreciate any help or guidance whatsoever.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Uninstall Contribute Toolbar in Firefox 3.0
          ~graffiti ACP/MVPs

In Firefox have you gone in to Tools>Add ons to see if you can remove it there?

• 2. Re: Uninstall Contribute Toolbar in Firefox 3.0

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I should have explained that, too. I've been into the Add-Ons dialogue and all it will let me do is disable it. Uninstalling it is not possible this way. I've also been into my Profiles/.../extensions folder and there's no sign of it in there, so I can't even manually ditch it. So it would seem to me that the only way to get rid of it is to uninstall it like any other program, but it's not listed under installed programs and as I said before, uninstalling Contribute as a whole leaves it behind.

• 3. Re: Uninstall Contribute Toolbar in Firefox 3.0

Okay, so after mucking around I have managed to annihilate it. Here's what I did, with (a) the *hope* that it could help someone else and (b) the DISCLAIMER that I'm not a full-fledged expert in the inner guts of Firefox so there's the possibility you could wreck something:

1. Close Firefox.

2. An apparently key file for this that Contribute puts on your hard drive is npContribute.dll. You could search for it, but I found mine in c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\. Delete it.

3. Contribute will create a folder with toolbar stuff in it in c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\. The folder will be a long conglomeration of letters and numbers within curly braces. Mine was called {01A8CA0A-4C96-465b-A49B-65C46FAD54F9}, so look for that, but if you don't see one with that exact name, I suppose it might have a different name. (In which case, to find out which folder it is, double-click through each of the folders whose names meet that criterion. Within each folder will be a file called install.rdf. Open that with notepad or another text editor. Do a search or browse through for "<em:name>". That will tell you what plugin you're dealing with. If it's Contribute, you know you've got the right folder.) Delete the folder.

4. Browse to your Firefox "Profiles" directory (if you don't know that that is, look it up in your favorite search engine). There you should find four files called extensions.log, extensions.cache, extensions.rdf, and extensions.ini. Delete all of those. (Firefox should regenerate the latter three upon restart, and you are good to go. After deleting extensions.log, I do not see it anymore, and I believe it is overkill to nuke that one along with the others, but just to be safe I deleted it, too. You can probably leave it, but deleting it shouldn't hurt.)

5. You should be good to go! Restart FF.

-----------------------------

I will note that Adobe mentions that, at least for CS3, "Adobe Contribute CS3 toolbar plug-in for Firefox 2 and above is not getting un-installed when Adobe Contribute CS3 is un-install." (See http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/contribute/cs3/Adobe_Contribute_CS3_Read_Me. pdf)

I wish Adobe would resolve this, because that's kind of a serious issue. I love Adobe, I use CS3 almost everyday, and usually have nothing but good things to say about them. But if they know this issue exists, maybe they shouldn't have taken the FF plugin out of beta.

Hope this helps!

• 4. Re: Uninstall Contribute Toolbar in Firefox 3.0
                Neil Snape Community Member

On Mac you have to go to root/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/ Extensions and delete the extensions.

The extensions are cryptically named so which one exactly is Contribute, no idea . Perhaps it's best to write down your add ons before deleting them in the Firefox Tools   Add ons UI >

• 5. Re: Uninstall Contribute Toolbar in Firefox 3.0
                  mcgrailm Community Member

this is absolutely rediculous we should not have to figure out how to unstall a plugin for firefox  this needs to be corrected the wores part is I can disable it but not uninstall it

Adobe please fix this

your valued customer