8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 12:14 PM by Judy_Arndt

Freehand to Illustrator problem

mikeleskow

I am trying to convert allof of our older files from Freehand to Illustrator, but when I do this I am unable to print the files as seperations. I get a message that states This document contains a linked binary eps which is incompatible with ASCII printing and saving as EPS in ASCII data format. If you press ok the file may not print. I have tried to convert to ASCII but then when I import the file it does not print correctly or it does not import correctly. Please advise if there is a smooth way to do this.

• 1. Re: Freehand to Illustrator problem
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Well you might just resave the link files as photoshop files and then reimport them.

• 2. Re: Freehand to Illustrator problem
            mikeleskow Level 1

What format would you suggest?  tif, pds or ......?

• 3. Re: Freehand to Illustrator problem
              Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are those EPS pixel data? Illustrator works good with PSD.

• 4. Re: Freehand to Illustrator problem
                mikeleskow Level 1

I tried to save it as a .psd and the file came out blank. The same thing that happens with the art as an .eps.

• 5. Re: Freehand to Illustrator problem
                  mikeleskow Level 1

Also, the file is seperated into spot color using photoshop.

• 6. Re: Freehand to Illustrator problem
                    Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you provide some details please:

- versions of FreeHand, Illy and Photoshop

- which printer

- exactly how do you convert the files, do you relink the placed art, how is it imported?

• 7. Re: Freehand to Illustrator problem
                      mikeleskow Level 1

THe files orignated with: FreeHand MX and Photoshop CS. The Freehand files are save as .AI format. I open the linked files that are an issue with PhotoshopCS and resave them as psd and I also tried .eps with ASCII , then I open with Illustrator, relink the linked file and then print it as seperations.

Everything prints except for the Linked file. It will print only as a composite file. These files were created year ago and there are hundreds of them.

The printers tested on: HP 4200 postscript, Xerox 6300n postscript, and also the Accurip to the epson 4880. These three printers have all had the same result.

• 8. Re: Freehand to Illustrator problem
                        Judy_Arndt Level 3

Mikeleskow,

Do these files print correctly from FHMX?

Do the EPS files contain spot colors?

What is your OS and version?

I can reproduce your problem, BUT, I can’t find a solution in AICS4. Vector objects and text are separating correctly. Placed multichannel, DCS 2.0 EPS files that contain spot inks do not separate correctly.

Photoshop CS4 help says (my emphasis):

"To export a duotone image to a page-layout application, you must first save the image in EPS or PDF format. (However, if the image contains spot channels, convert it to Multichannel mode and save it in DCS 2.0 format.) Remember to name custom colors using the appropriate suffix so that the importing application can recognize them. Otherwise, the application may not print the colors correctly, or it may not print the image at all."

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7785a.html

Illustrator CS4 help says:

“Desktop Color Separation (DCS) is a version of the standard EPS format. The DCS 1.0 format supports only CMYK images while the DCS 2.0 format supports multichannel CMYK files as well as multiple spot inks. (These spot inks appear as spot colors in Illustrator’s Swatches panel.) Illustrator recognizes clipping paths in Photoshop-created DCS 1.0 and DCS 2.0 files. You can link DCS files in Illustrator, but you can’t embed or open them.”

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Illustrator/14.0/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e07d0100196cbc5f-6567a.htm l

Here’s what I did to test.

In Photoshop CS4:
                        1. Create grayscale image.
                        2. Convert to duotone mode using black and one or more spot channels using application-named Pantone inks.
                        3. Convert to Multichannel mode.
                        4. Save as EPS using DSC 2.0/ ASCII encoding.

In FreeHand MX:
                        1. Place the multichannel EPS in FHMX.  The spot colors used in the EPS appear in the swatches panel.
                        2. Draw vector objects using the spot colors.
                        3. Print to Postscript file, separations, host-based.

Distill the FHMX-generated Postscript file using Print Quality settings. Separations are correct in every way.

In Illustrator CS4:
                        1. New document.
                        2. Place the multichannel EPS. The spot colors used in the EPS appear in the swatches panel.
                        3. Draw vector objects using the spot colors.
                        3. Print to Postscript file, separations, host-based.

Distill the AICS4-generated Postscript file using Print Quality settings. Vector objects have separated correctly but the EPS file is white on each separation page.

I'm using Photoshop CS4, AI CS4, Acrobat Pro/Distiller 9.0.0, on an Quad-core Intel Mac Pro, Mac OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)