17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2009 10:35 AM by Bill Gehrke

video problem with CS4.2

rchorne1

I am having an unusual problem with my cs4 programs, noticed most within PPro and AE.  Quite frequently my entire monitor image will momentarily shift a few pixels down and to the right.  It will return to its correct alignment within less than a second.  Also, when I click on a menu item, the drop down menu will appear correctly for about a second then disappear until I run my cursor over the area where the menu should be.  At which point the menu will reappear one line at a time beneath the cursor.  When the item appears, I can activate it normally with one click of the mouse.  This also happens when I access my title screen, Media Encoder screen (from within PPro), etc.  The programs have also started freezing on me more frequently, requiring me to close out using Task Manager; sometimes even requiring a reboot.  Otherwise, the programs seem to function fine.

I operate in WinXP Pro and work in standard def with the following hardware (all drivers are up to date):

Asus p5q3 deluxe motherboard with 4gigs of memory

ATI Radeon HD 2900xt with 512mb of memory

Matrox RT.x2

I know just enough about computers to be dangerous, but I'm wondering if this sounds like a video card problem.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: video problem with CS4.2
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Get rid of the Matrox and try again.

• 2. Re: video problem with CS4.2
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Not having heard of this type of problem before and and noticing the one unique thing about your system is your Matrox card.  It may be drastic but try removing it and see if the problem still exists.  While it is out of the system run my Premiere Pro benchmark PPBM4 and send the results and I will comment back to you on how well your system is tuned.

EDIT: Darn, Harm beat me again!

• 3. Re: video problem with CS4.2
              rchorne1 Level 1

Thank you both for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, it's after closing time here, so

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try anything.  I'll let you know the restults.

• 4. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                rchorne1 Level 1

Well, my curiosity got the better of me and I stayed after work to pull my Matrox card.  Unfortunately, it's not a simple matter of pulling the card and trying cs4.  I would have to uninstall my Matrox drivers, etc.

So I started thinking that if Matrox is the culprit, I should be bugging them.  I went on their website to post my problem and discovered they are now saying that their MxTools does not support cs4.2!  This is after they boasted sometime ago that Matrox owners would have the full benefits of cs4.2 with the introduction of their current drivers!  Now the forum is saying it will be at least another month before they will be up to speed and to uninstall cs4.2 and go back to cs4.1.  I can't even remember how long ago I updated to cs4.2 based on Matrox's claims, but it has been awhile!!!  Why they didn't alert their customers is a mystery to me.

So that's where I stand at the moment.  I guess tomorrow I'll go through the whole procedure of uninstalling cs4.2 and reinstalling cs4.1, provided I can locate all of the original cs4.1 installation files.

Thanks again for your suggestions.  I'll post my success (or failure) as soon as I have cs4.1 back up and running.

• 5. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                  Eric Jurg

My guess is that you have a Microsft Intellimouse driver installed. This is the mouse driver software supplied with Microsoft keyboard/mouse sets. Go to add/remove programs, uninstall the Intellimouse driver (leave the keyboard driver - it doesn't create problems, and supports useful keyboard features), and reboot. The generic Windows mouse driver will load, and will work perfectly well, but the shifting/menu corruption will be gone.

• 6. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                    Eric Jurg Level 1

And by the way, the Matrox RTX2 driver update for PPRO 4.2 is now available. Go to the Matrox RTX2 forum (Matrox website) to find the download link. And don't listen to Harm when it comes to Matrox - He thinks that they are at the bottom of this whole global warming thing.

• 7. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      And don't listen to Harm when it comes to Matrox - He thinks that they are at the bottom of this whole global warming thing.

NO, they are at the top and should be banned from video use. They are great as doorstoppers, however.

BTW, I was Correct in saying it was Matrox, wasn't I?

• 8. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                        rchorne1 Level 1

Eric,

I don't want to get too excited just yet, but I removed MS Intellipoint and everything seems to be working great!!!  I had actually already installed the MxTools 4.2 Beta update, but thanks for that ifo as well.

Since you seem to have a grasp of all of this, do you think there is any compelling reason to upgrade from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7?

And Harm,

I certainly respect your opinions about Matrox.  Unfortunately, due to budget restraints, blah, blah, blah, I have what I have and should be happy to have it.

Thank you both,

Bob

• 9. Re: video problem with CS4.2

rchorne1 wrote:

Since you seem to have a grasp of all of this, do you think there is any compelling reason to upgrade from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7?

Bob

Performance is the only reason to upgrade to Win 7 64 bit, Premiere Pro runs appreciably faster.  But be careful that you have all the correct drivers.  You can also increase your memory with the 64 bit OS which will allow you to easily do more things at the same time.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                            rchorne1 Level 1

Those were my thoughts, but I needed a confirmation.  My only other question would be if I'd be able to login to my office network if the other computers are still running WinXP.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

• 11. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Bob,

There should be no problem at all. I have XP, Vista, Win7 and Server 2008 directly and over VPN on our servers without problems, even with VMware Sphere/ESX running.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                                rchorne1 Level 1

Harm,

Thank you for your response.  Have you had any concerns about Win7?  I'll probably make the jump to Win7 before the end of the year.

And thank you for your understanding regarding my use of Matrox.  It sounds like you've been burned at some point.

Bob

• 13. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Bob,

You are correct. Once upon a time I had the Canopus DVStorm with Premiere 6.x and it worked great (and a DVRaptor before that). Then came Premiere Pro and the problems that the DVStorm had were insurmountable so I dumped it and got the RTX-100 which was reputed to be about as good as the DVStorm was in the past. Was I disappointed! It just did not work reliably, hangs, BSOD's, unresponsivess and then when PR CS2 came out you effectively had to get the RTX.2, which was paramount to throwing the RTX.100 down the drain. It seemed to me that with every new version of CSx you needed to get a new Matrox card at extravagant prices for what it offered and still had to wait very long for decent drivers to come out. It just wasn't worth the effort anymore. And when you look here at problems that people experience, the common denominator is usually the Matrox card. So, yes, I am glad I got rid of it and found a very useful purpose for the card: a doorstopper, which must have been the intention of the engineers to start out.

About Win7: No, I did not have any doubts at all, but in my case I was lucky enough to have a high level network consultant with all kinds of certificates and an impressive experience to advise me and he juist plain told me: "You DON'T want Vista!!! GET WIN7!!! I have been using it for several RC's and it is a revelation." Now after installing and using it for some time, I can only agree.

• 14. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                                    rchorne1 Level 1

Harm,

It sounds like experience has bought you a very expensive doorstop.  I've gone down a similar path but starting with Pinnacle and ending with rtx2 with a lay over at rtx100.  But with my peanut-sized brain (and budget) I'm still riding the Matrox express and hoping that I don't have a derailment.  Thankfully, except for this problem that you good folks have solved, I've had pretty good luck.

Bob

• 15. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Bob,

It sounds like experience has bought you a very expensive doorstop.

That is the reason why I try to shy people away from Matrox, to protect them from these very expensive mistakes.

I have a very fast, very stable and reasonably economical system that gives me no headaches. If I look at what happens around here I often wonder what causes these errors, glitches or anomalies to occur that luckily I have not experienced. Maybe it is Matrox, maybe something else, but I feel you are better off with investing $ 700 in your system components than in a Matrox card. That same $ 700 in system components will give you a better performance boost than a Matrox card and better stability. Just my .02 cents.

• 16. Re: video problem with CS4.2

I completely agree with Harm and have suffered through the same expensive doorstop experience, but in my case it has been with every card Pinnacle ever offered.  Actually, I am not using them as doorstops, I am saving all my old cards until I have a full deck of cards.

• 17. Re: video problem with CS4.2
                                          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

We have 3 Matrox RT.X100 cards in static-proof bags sitting on the shelf. I enjoy looking at them once in a while. I still like some of the features of the RT.X100. The non-reliability and software issues were just unacceptable though. Sometimes prproj's would become corrupted and refuse to open. Export to tape would introduce artifacts into our finished video's. Crashes, sometimes every 3 minutes. Why? I still don't know. On the bright side, the Matrox RT.X100 did force me to learn a lot about troubleshooting computer hardware and software.