4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2009 5:37 AM by Andrew Yoole

No Audio in Export/Preview

pftq

I don't recall ever running into this problem before in CS3, so I'm not sure it's CS4-specific.  Basically, a composition I'm working on has no sound when previewed or exported.  When I open the wav view of the file in AE, it shows only a flat line (silence).

Other clips I import (MPG) have the same issue.

The only way I've found around this so far is to clear cache, import it into Premiere first, then import to AE (same file).

Basically, it seems like AE is not conforming the audio from the files properly.  If I import it into Premiere first, Premiere conforms and saves the files to cache, which AE then uses.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• 1. Re: No Audio in Export/Preview
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Some types of multiplexed MPEG files simply aren't AE compatible, and MPG is a delivery format anyway - it's just not designed for use in editing and compositing applications.  I'd strongly suggest converting them to an appropriate intermediate codec (like Quicktime Animation) before use.

• 2. Re: No Audio in Export/Preview
            pftq Level 1

That's beside the point.  The same clips imported fine before in After Effects CS3 and still import with sound in Premiere CS4.  They also import correctly if I let Premiere conform the audio first (no need to convert to an intermediate).  I'm just wondering why AE is not conforming them in the first place and whether anyone else is having this issue.

• 3. Re: No Audio in Export/Preview
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What MPEG types are they and what is the source/ original creator program? Quite possible that due to the ongoing changes in MediaCore there are differences in handling between versions, but without more specific info it will be hard to get to the bottom of this.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: No Audio in Export/Preview
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No doubt, as Mylenium has explained, there is some underlying reason for the MPEG failure in your current job.  There are many variables to be considered if you're determined to resolve it.  But the reason for my earlier point remains:  multiplexed MPEG files simply aren't designed for use in editing and compositing applications.  Adobe provides rudimentary support for such files, but it is fraught with problems, some of which you are experiencing now.

My personal workflow is to convert ALL delivery-format files (mpeg, mpeg2, mp4, divx, xvid, wmv etc) to an appropriate format before use in an editing or compositing application, because it eliminates the likelihood of such issues.