8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2009 9:07 AM by dradeke

Software Capabilities

UteFanJason Level 2

Hi everybody.

I recently got an HD camcorder and a Blue-ray burner, and need some better editing software than I currently have.

Since the camcorder is Sony HD it uses the AVCHD format. I would ultimately like to burn to Blu-ray (after making some edits) to be watched on any Blu-ray player.

I am not sure if Premiere Pro or Premiere Elements can help with this (it sounds like Pro can but Elements can't) but thought someone could help point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Software Capabilities
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The current thinking (from what I've read) is that you need AT LEAST a quad-core processor... an Intel i7 920 is better

You need to go to the http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum section and read the recent messages about building a new computer

Only after you have "enough" computer to do the job should you try to work with that format

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Software Capabilities
            tclark513 Level 3

I know you already bought the camera but I wouldn't even touch that format until the Mercury Playback Engine is released.

• 3. Re: Software Capabilities
              UteFanJason Level 2

John, thanks for the hardware advice. Luckily, the hardware is not an issue here. It looks like I have most if not all of the stuff. And what I don't have, I will soon have.

As far as the software goes though, I can't seem to find the information I was looking for for Premiere. I almost bought the Master Collection CS4 a while back, but, since I am/was learning and working in web design I went with Web Premium CS4. As far as adobe programs go, I mostly use Photoshop, DW, and a little of Flash, Fireworks, and Illustrator. But, not having ever really messed with real HD video editing and production, premiere is new to me.

So, do you know if Premiere can handle AVCHD to Blu-ray? Pro or Elements? Or is there other software that I could/should be looking at?

Message was edited by: UteFanJason (twice, sorry)

• 4. Re: Software Capabilities
                Colin Brougham Level 6

So, do you know if Premiere can handle AVCHD to Blu-ray? Pro or Elements? Or is there other software that I could/should be looking at?

In concert with Encore, Adobe's disc authoring app, you can, assuming you've got the hardware. Don't know about the capabilities of Elements, but you'd probably be best with Pro.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Software Capabilities
                  UteFanJason Level 2

Thanks Colin, that is what I wanted to know. I will continue to check my system against recommendations referred to before. And I will get what I don't have.

As far as learning to do use Premeire Pro and Encore together to edit and produce Blu-ray from AVCHD, are there good tutorials for that you could point me to? That may be asking too much, but I thought I would throw it out there.

• 6. Re: Software Capabilities
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

You're welcome. For tutorials, you might start with AdobeTV:

http://tv.adobe.com/
                    • 7. Re: Software Capabilities
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You've gotten good advice regarding the hardware aspects of AVCHD and have that handled.

I'd stop by the PrE forum, and take a look at the threads there. Pay special attention to those by AT Romano, who has extensively tested the current version, PrE 8, and also those of Steve Grisetti.PrE 8 has added a lot of new "features," and not all are being well received. Most can be turned off, so all is not bad news. Still, there seem to have been problems. Many were system-related, some were Asset-related (many had struggles with AVCHD-Lite, regardless of how similar it should be to full AVCHD) and some were just users wanting things that were not possible.

I do not do HD, nor do I have the current version of PrPro, however I could not imagine doing heavy-duty editing in PrE vs PrPro. I use PrE 4 as a tool, as it does handle some types of footage better than PrPro does, and I get all sorts of footage handed to me. I find the control and the ease of doing anything in PrPro to be infinitely better than in PrE. Also, for authoring, Encore runs rings around the limited authoring capabilities of PrE. Most is semi-automatic and is very limited. If you want to do things like just add a Play First video, prior to the Menus, you are out of luck. Many use Sony's DVD Architect for the authoring phase. From my reading, even the "pro" version of it falls far short of Encore.

Now, does that justify the acquisition of PrPro? No. Does it give you something to think about? I hope so.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Software Capabilities
                        dradeke Adobe Employee

Jason,

Yes, Premiere Pro handles AVCHD just fine.  Like every codec we embrace, we handle it natively.  In the case of AVCHD, this comes with temporary issues that you should know before you decide.  AVCHD is a temporal codec and therefore is harder to decode on the fly than an intraframe codec.  MPEG-2 was the same way, but hardware and software evolved to the point where it became a non-issue.  I think the same will hold true for AVCHD.

AVCHD will edit on a desktop system without much difficulty.  however, if you don't like the response, then consider using the Adobe Media Encoder to convert the footage to P2.  Essentially, launch AME, add the files choose P2 and you're off.  Then import and use in Premiere Pro.

So, you can edit AVCHD both natively or convert to another codec.  It's your choice.

hope this helps,

Dennis