6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 7:57 AM by Harm Millaard

GTX 285

tclark513 Level 3

I was thinking of picking up a GTX 285 (For the future Mercury Playback Engine) and wanted to get some opinions on which one might be best.

They have some different specs and was wondering on which ones are more important speed wise.

Here is a link to the models I am considering...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000048&Description=gtx%20285 &name=Desktop%20Graphics%20%2f%20Video%20Cards

Any opinions would be great...

• 1. Re: GTX 285
          Harm Millaard Level 7

From clock speed alone, my preference would be the EVGA Classified (1190), but it only has 1 GB memory and this is where MPE is still unclear: Does it profit more from the higher clock speed or does it compensate that with 2 GB installed and is clock speed no longer the overriding factor? I just don't know. If memory is more important for MPE, the 1185 may be more attractive. BTW, why does one card support DirectX 10 and the other OpenGL 3.0? Do not both cards support all these? I would check that with Newegg/nVidia.

• 2. Re: GTX 285
            Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Unless you are talking about a new system build, I would consider staying with your current card.  In our office we're waiting until the Mercury product becomes available before buying new cards. As I'm sure you know, a war raging between ATI and Nvidia. Great for us consumers because the prices continue to fall.  It's tough to predict... Mercury available along with CS5 in March 2010?

I think there will be lower prices and a better card available by the time we can buy Mercury. That's just my gut feeling.

• 3. Re: GTX 285
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree that you should not now buy now for CS5.  For instance when CS5 comes out maybe they will support the GTX 295 which for roughly $100 more doubles the number of GPU processors for CUDA over the GTX 285.  I would suspect that this is the predomient performace determining item more than a slight increase in processor speed and/or memory.

• 4. Re: GTX 285