3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2009 5:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Unable to upload some videos, but able to upload others. What's going on?

everyday_democracy

For some reason I am not able to import some of my video files and it keeps giving me this message: "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed." The files I'm trying to import are .wmv files and I've already successfully imported about 15 .wmv files from the same batch of video clips. What's going on? How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Unable to upload some videos, but able to upload others. What's going on?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, run the WMV's, that will not Import through G-Spot, to see what is different about them.

WMV, just like AVI, and many others, is just a wrapper. What is inside is important. This ARTICLE will give you some background on "wrappers."

Please report what is inside those problem WMV's. That will likely answer the question.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to upload some videos, but able to upload others. What's going on?
            everyday_democracy Level 1

I ran the files and they all seem to be missing a few codecs (I think). I've attached an image which shows the codecs and filters that are missing. Do I just Google "RealMedia Splitter" and look for a download? Is there a reason why I don't already have these codecs installed?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Unable to upload some videos, but able to upload others. What's going on?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, RealTime. I don't see this one that often anymore. Going back some years, Real Player and the CODEC's were popular. Lately, it's rather fallen out of favor. I am not sure what it takes to get the just the CODEC's, but the installation of the player should get those installed for you.

Now, I used to feel that Real Player is akin to a Trojan (personal view), because it wanted to hook all AV file types and assign them to Real Player. The user had little recourse back then, other than to install, and then manually go to Folder Options>File Types and reassign the file types. Also, Real Player always wanted to update automatically, and each time it did so, you'd have to redo all file assignments. Maybe it's more benign nowadays. It also wanted to "phone home," whenever you used it, and would spend 5 mins. telling you that you needed to upgrade, or buy add-ons, plus it would try to sell you other things via pop-ups. Even with a pop-up blocker, one would see a dozen ads on their screen, just to use the danged player! I could be that they have changed their policy, but I wanted to warn you of this behavior, so at least you would know that you might be spending some time with File Types from Control Panel.

Also, the CODEC's might be available without the player?

Good luck, and thank you for reporting the info.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful