11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 12:03 AM by jodon1230

Windows 7

jodon1230

I have a new computer with Windows 7.  I try to load Adobe Reader on and it takes over my computer.  Changes my icons and won't let me open any programs.  Is Adobe Reader not ready for the new operating system?

• 1. Re: Windows 7
          pwillener Level 8

We have seen this phenomenon a couple of times with Vista, but we have never been able to find the reason for it, nor a solution.

However, LGaspar has posted a very interesting article here http://forums.adobe.com/message/2438652#2438652 - it explains how this could happen, and how to potentially fix it.

You also posted in that topic, saying that you are not a computer expert.  (Many of us are not.)

Are you willing to help to find the solution for that problem?  If so, let's start to find if the problem on your Windows 7 is actually caused by this.  (No harm will come to your system if you do what I ask below.)

• open a Command Prompt
          • type the following command, followed by the Enter key:
            • ASSOC .exe

What is the result display of this command?

• 2. Re: Windows 7
            jodon1230 Level 1

Thank you.  I'll work on this with my grandson.  He is better at this stuff then I.  Too late tonight.  I'll keep in contact.

We have seen this phenomenon a couple of times with Vista, but we have never been able to find the reason for it, nor a solution.

However, LGaspar has posted a very interesting article here http://forums.adobe.com/message/2438652#2438652 - it explains how this could happen, and how to potentially fix it.

You also posted in that topic, saying that you are not a computer expert.  (Many of us are not.)

Are you willing to help to find the solution for that problem?  If so, let's start to find if the problem on your Windows 7 is actually caused by this.  (No harm will come to your system if you do what I ask below.)

• open a Command Prompt

• ASSOC .exe

>

• 3. Re: Windows 7
              pwillener Level 8

It's good to have a little helper at hand

Good night; I will check here tomorrow.

• 4. Re: Windows 7
                jodon1230 Level 1

I did this.  It opens my "Favorites" page.  On that page it says, No items match your search.  Search again in:  (one of the folders on that page).  Does this make sense?  I hope I've explained it OK.

• open a Command Prompt

• ASSOC .exe

>

• 5. Re: Windows 7
                  Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you open a Command Prompt?

• 6. Re: Windows 7
                    jodon1230 Level 1

whoops!  Sorry.  I get:      

C:\T & J>ASSOC.exe

.exe=exefile

C:\Users\T & J>

Did you open a Command Prompt?

>

• 7. Re: Windows 7
                      pwillener Level 8

jodon1230 wrote:

C:\T & J>ASSOC.exe

.exe=exefile

"Unfortunately" this is the correct setting; meaning that the solution I was hoping for lies not here.

As I wrote earlier, we have seen this a couple of times with Vista, and we have never found a solution for this.  ("We" - meaning the volunteers in this forum, not Adobe.)

After trying many things, at the end I had no other solution than recommending an alternate PDF viewer, such as Foxit Reader.  Uninstal Adobe Reader, then install the alternate PDF viewer; make sure that you uncheck any toolbars (Foxit toolar, Ask toolbar) that are offered during the install.

Sorry that I cannot offer any better solution!

• 8. Re: Windows 7
                        jodon1230 Level 1

Thank you so much for looking.  There is other brands of software I can purchase.  I guess I'll look to see what they offer.  Thank you again!

• 9. Re: Windows 7
                          pwillener Level 8

Foxit Reader is free, just like Adobe Reader.

• 10. Re: Windows 7
                            jodon1230 Level 1

THANK YOU!  I'll surly look at that!

>

• 11. Re: Windows 7
                              jodon1230 Level 1

Just wanted to let you know I installed Foxit Reader on my computer.  Works great!  Pass this info to others.  I'm sure you'll run across it again.  THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!

>