7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2009 9:26 AM by Garek007

problem with pre-composing and 3D layers

Garek007 Level 1

Hi,

I followed this tutorial to make some text start broken apart and then come together after a few seconds.

I did this in the main timeline and I was using 3d space. It looked great because a few of the pieces came right up to the camera and when it animations it  looks like these pieces fly by the camera narrowly missing it.

They are travelling in Z space.

As soon as I pre-compose, and move all attributes everything goes relatively flat and I no longer get the cool camera 'fly by' effect. I know that this is because the layers that were 3D are moved into a new composition and are replaced by a flat, 2d composition.

I tried turning the 3d checkbox on for my newly created composition, but that did nothing.

Can anyone tell me how to retain my cool fly by effect, but also group these layers or pre-compose them so that my timeline doesn't get messy?

Thanks,

Stan

• 1. Re: problem with pre-composing and 3D layers
          Garek007 Level 1

ok, I just discovered that if I add a camera to that coposition I can replicate the effect by tracking the Z axis in, but still, I'd like to know why my coordinates were lost in the first place. If anyone can teach me that would be much appreciated!

• 2. Re: problem with pre-composing and 3D layers
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All you need to do is collapse transformations. There's a switch (box) in thr TLW thar looks kind of like. Sun  Check that and you won't need to add a camera to the pre comp.

• 3. Re: problem with pre-composing and 3D layers
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Rick says, try collapsing transformations.

from "Render order and collapsing transformations":

"If transformations are not collapsed, a nested composition that contains 3D layers is rendered as a 2D image of the 3D arrangement, using the default composition camera. This rendering prevents the nested composition from intersecting with 3D layers, casting shadows on 3D layers, and receiving shadows from 3D layers in the containing composition. The nested composition is also not controlled by the cameras and lights of the containing composition.

If transformations are collapsed, the 3D properties of the layers in the nested composition are exposed to the containing composition. Thus, the nested composition can intersect with 3D layers, cast shadows on 3D layers, and receive shadows from 3D layers in the containing composition. The containing composition's camera and lights can also control the nested composition.

Essentially, collapsing transformations for a nested composition tells After Effects to not flatten and crop the layers in the precomposition."

• 4. Re: problem with pre-composing and 3D layers
                Garek007 Level 1

wierd, I thought I tried that?.... ok, I closed it for now, but I'll try that tomorrow and let you guys know. I kinda like the camera though, it let's me spin around the text. But I want to know what all these things do, so I'll try that too.

• 5. Re: problem with pre-composing and 3D layers
                  Garek007 Level 1

collapsing transformations isn't doing the trick in this case. It may be the way I have the file set up. But the camera will do for now.

Next time I'll keep that collapse transforms in mind.

thanks guys!

• 6. Re: problem with pre-composing and 3D layers
                    Garek007 Level 1

Here's another thing. It's not just that collapse transforms isn't working. For some reason, even in the new comp, I can't seem to replicate the pieces coming close to the camera. I used a slider control in the main comp which I just slid back and forth and I got some very pleasing chunks coming near the camera. For some reason, in my new comp, I can't seem to replicate that effect.

• 7. Re: problem with pre-composing and 3D layers
                      Garek007 Level 1

ok just pasted layers from my original comp into this new one. It seems it has soemthing to do with the 3D elements on those layers. I think that because those layers had 3D they were stretching out the Z axis thus giving new layers more room to play in.