12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 9:30 PM by Matt Petersen

Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....

lvlr

I believe I ought to be able to render a flash video from my Adobe Premiere CS3 or After Effects CS3 and then stream it on my website.  Problem is that's as far as it gets.  I haven't had any luck actually doing it.  Anybody have any ideas?

• 1. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
          shooternz Level 6

It doesnt have much to do with "luck"

Whats the issue you are having?

• 2. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
            lvlr Level 1

Okay, so Both Adobe After Effects and Premiere can render to *.flv.  But I can't seem to get an *.flv to play on my website.  How do I play a *.flv?  Or do I need to render to *.swf?  What should I do?

• 3. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
              Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Once you have the flv, one way is to import it into a new Adobe Flash project.  You will need to adjust the Flash document size to accomodate your video and the video controller. Also set the Document background color to something that will look right on your html page. I prefer to save my Flash related files in one folder. Use lower case with underscores e.g. my_flash for your server just in case there is a support limitation.

Next "Publish" your creation to the folder you created on your computer. Next open the html file generated from Flash and carefully copy and paste the java script code into the actual html file the video will appear on in your website. Next, carefully copy and paste the object/embed code into the actual html file the video will appear on in your website. The object/embed code needs to go in the appropriate place in the html document. Either within a table cell if your page is old-school, table based or within a div if your site/page is CSS based.

Upload the folder to your server. For me it is easier to have the actual page the video will be appearing on, in the uploaded Flash folder as well. You will then need to adjust links pointing to this video Web page file accordingly.

Once you get the page looking like you want, you can use this page as a publish template if you like. This really saves time. No more cutting and pasting. Adobe has an article on this. This way the whole process is automated within Flash and takes just several clicks and an upload to your server.

• 4. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
                lvlr Level 1

Ah, crap, I don't think I have any way to edit a Flash project.  I just have After Effects and Premiere.  Do you know if there's a way to do it with that?  What about Encore does it do it?

• 6. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

I use the JW FLV Player; there is a wizard you can use to configure the code to embed the player in your website. There are other players out there as well, like Flow Player or Wimpy Player. There are differences--mostly personal preference at this point--but will all allow you to set up an embedded player to stream or progressively download your video.

You can also use Encore to output a web-embedded SWF file. Simply author your project as you would a DVD, and then use the Flash output setting. Encore will reconfigure your project as a Flash file, which you can then put up on the web. Check out the help file for more info.

• 7. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
                    D&R Films Level 1

I've had mixed results using the JWPlayer (ProPlayer plugin in Wordpress). Sometimes it would stall then not finish... It wouldn't buffer when paused like Youtube/Vimeo. I tried the bufferlength setting but it made no difference, so I switched back to Vimeo. I liked being able to very quickly upload the files directly to my server though. See how it works for you... Maybe it's my connection? (although Vimeo and youtube work fine here)

D&RFilms page

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
                      lvlr Level 1

Thanks, great player!  I'm currently using it on my website and it's working quite well.  I'm looking around because I don't like what it does when it pauses, but other than that I'm thrilled with it.  If I get any new information I'll post it!

• 9. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
                        lvlr Level 1

Actually, you can!  I just did it you can render Flash SWF with Adobe Encore.  Problem is it sucks.  So I don't recommend it.

• 10. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Can you clarify "sucks"? Do you mean the video quality, the functionality, or something else?

• 11. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
                            lvlr Level 1

Okay, I just rendered a trailer for my most recent film, and I have it up streaming on my website using  JW FLV Player.  Problem is though, the trailer is about 80MB.  For only 2 minutes and 20 seconds of run time!  80MB is just too much.  It takes forever for me to load.  But if I go to a trailer on GoogleVideo I can stream and play realtime (much fast load time.)  For what appears to be baically the same quality.  I'm currently using Flash Video with a bit rate of 4096, which is high, but when I get below that the trailer looks like crap.  Why can't I get compression as good as I usually see online.

• 12. Re: Create Flash Video to Stream on my Website....
                              Matt Petersen Level 3

Yeah, it's frustrating. I guess the YouTube and Vimeo people have been doing this for a while and they're pretty good at it!!

I gave up trying to get as good quality from Flash renders, now I just embed everything from Vimeo.

I did do a series of tests last year on YouTube to try to find the "sweet spot" of bitrate. I put up about 6 HD videos of varying CBR. There was a cutoff where any further increas in bitrate made no improvement.

You could do a similar test if you like and try to find that "sweet spot"?

MP