5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2009 2:41 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

How to select the objects sharing the same appearance in the same artboard?

J_Lai

I have several artboards in the file and I want to select all the objects having the drop shadow effect in the artboards I'm working. No matter I use the "Select" in the menu or the "Select similar objects" button in the control panel, it selects all the objects having the same appearance in the entire canvas, not only the one in the artboard I'm working. Any means or there's nothing can do?

Please help!

• 1. Re: How to select the objects sharing the same appearance in the same artboard?
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might try temporarily grouping all the items on the artboard in question and then go into Isolation mode to work.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to select the objects sharing the same appearance in the same artboard?
            J_Lai Level 1

yes, that's work and I also tried to lock the objects in another artboard in order to select the objects in the working artboard only. However, I think that's stupid to get it done in this way and Adobe should improve this in the next version.

• 3. Re: How to select the objects sharing the same appearance in the same artboard?
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

J_Lai wrote:

yes, that's work and I also tried to lock the objects in another artboard in order to select the objects in the working artboard only. However, I think that's stupid to get it done in this way and Adobe should improve this in the next version.

This is easy enough to state but if you think this is wrong then you should perhaps suggest a way this feature could be manifested.

For instance to you this should only effect the current artboard but there will come along another user who will say hey wait a minute I need to select all the drop shadowed objects and remove them now I have to go from atboard to artboard.

If you see what I mean, II found out that when I find something that is seemingly stupid that in fact there is a reason for it and there has to be a way to describe how it can be improved without breaking what you already have.

For instance you want it to just effect the current artboard but then there will be those who also want it if it even touches the artboard and those who will want it on a range of atboards and those who will actually want AI to know which artboards you want even without you specifying which artboards. That last one sounds illogical but that is the nature of the problem and the human conditions.

So though I agree this can be improved perhaps you have an idea how this can work for everyone?

• 4. Re: How to select the objects sharing the same appearance in the same artboard?
                Doug Katz Level 4

Wade's absolutely right. For every user who wants artboard-specific selection methods, there will be another three who will think it far too limiting and will insist Adobe took two step backwards by switching from a cross-artboard selection paradigm.

One answer might be some sort of selection toggle between the two. But I'd not claim to know how challenging this would be to engineer.

My method, dating back to the early days of FreeHand, is to place the objects associated with each artboard on their own layer. This requires a touch of planning and discipline (two commodities I appreciate are in short supply these days) but it obviates frustrations like the OP has described. In my experience, it also makes work on a multi-page job more efficient and pleasant in the long run.

• 5. Re: How to select the objects sharing the same appearance in the same artboard?
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Perhaps a work flow feature would be the way to go perhaps Doug is onto something.

Since you can name layers you could call a layer artboard 1 then another artboard 2 and create groups and sublayera and work that way. Once enough users use such a technique they can report back as to how this can be a feature and what tare the requirements.Perhpas being able to name artboards would be a good feature  and beng able to link a layer to an artboard.

This might be something that can be had it seems like it might be. But what works for an artboard has to work for the canvas and that makes it tricky.