12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 5:05 PM by Morriswald

Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport

Morriswald Level 1

Hi

I am using the videocard Geforce gtx 275 nivida on windows 7 64-bit, and strange vsync tearing problems occur in the viewport area of After effects.

I have tested almost everything , changed resolution and cleared cache, installed different drivers etc, etc.

Nothing helps... Now I am considering buying a new videocard with hopes on better luck... (I am quite sure it is some kind of

videocard issue)

I have provided a picture of the strange (vsync?) image tearing.

The issue appears when I pan in the viewport or playing clips.

I am on a quite small budget, and would like some tips on what videocard to buy.

I really would appreciate some recommendation on some videocard that works (flawless) with after effects.

Anyone who got any stable configuration with after effects cs4?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Firstly, if you have OpenGL enabled, disable it.

What kind of footage are you using (i.e what codec if video)?

If it's a highly compressed format, you may want to consider transcoding it to a lossless format prior to using it in AE.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport
            Morriswald Level 1

Disabled open gl . no luck I am using hdv 1080 in mpeg, imported directly from the camera. I have tried different formats like dv and even targa sequenses , and no luck their either.

• 3. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't think the card is at fault here. More likely it's a mismatch between the card's actual redraw and the monitor refresh rate and how in reverse it forces the card to draw oddly. How do you connect them? How is the monitor set up?

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport
                Morriswald Level 1

Hi,

thanks again for your answer.

My monitor is DELL 2209WA running 60hz 1680x1050, I tried both vga cable connector and dvi connected from computer graphic card right into

the monitor.

• 5. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport
                  Morriswald Level 1

I also tried all kind of different resolutions and changed the hz from 60 to 75 in lower res , that didnt work either.

• 6. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport

does the monitor come with a special driver or did you just hook it up as a standard plug&play monitor? If you have a driver CD floating somewhere, it may be worth sifting through the contents and install a dedicated monitor driver and profile. Sometimes this will provide access to additional options for the panel's timing... Short of that I can only think of one the graphics card's settings influencing performance (which probably wouldn't change with another card; that's why I was advising against rushed hardware replacment). Maybe you have set some odd color tweak or enabled extra features for transparent window drawing and such. If so, turning them off again might help.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport
                      Morriswald Level 1

I have tried running After effects in windows xp and windows 7, and updated latest driver for

the monitor... Nothing seems to help... (I havent changed anything after the os installation...)

So you dont think it will help at all, getting an new videocard?

My older computer had similar problems with tearing effects...

But not as much as this new one, I am even considering buying a imac , hopefully

these strange tearing effects doest exist on apple computers. I need to be able to
                      see the viewport in after effects with no strange sync or tering effects.

Do you got any experience with similar problems?

And again thank you for all your replies.

• 8. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport

I myself have not experienced such issues on any card/ computer I ever owned (that is, beyond normal performance degradation), but this may be sheer luck. Other users who have reported it (both on Mac and PC, to get that out of the way) either never resolved it, resolved it by fully re-installing the system or never followed up and let us know what they did. So it's still a soomewhat ominous case. From the technical side, it's still definitely a sync/ redraw issue, just not one that can be easily unriddled. This could even come down to something as otherworldly as I/O issues on your PCI bus. Hard to tell. Trying another card doesn't hurt, if you don't mind the effort, but I'd be careful to throw out money for something that might not cure the underlying problem. When you try, make sure the dealer has a liberal return policy. Or perhaps you have a friend who has an leftover older card somewhere - if it's a hardware issue, there would be a notable difference either way, even if the performance is not the best...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport
                          Morriswald Level 1

What PC setup do you use right now? After effects CS 4? , graphic card?

I really hope it has nothing to do with the motherboard, I guess I have to do it the hard way... Try all kind of different hardware until

things (hopefully) work as the should.. I am getting really tired of this.. , - I was very happy when I got all the parts for the computer believing everyting

would work like a charm... It worked very well  until I installed After Effects and everyting in that program stared to get real buggy , open gl error

import problems and all different kind of errors. I updated drivers for the graphic card, and things worked a little better. (still some opengl crashes) but the annoying draw/sync error is always there...

I am so tired of computer technical problems.Maybe I should take up my old hobby as oil painter insted. - (Spend to much money on computers....)

1400 $ for this one , and After Effect will not work ... (The only reason I bought the computer...)

Sorry for the long writing I guess I am a bit down ...

Thank you for trying to help...

• 10. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport

As I also wrote in the otehr thread, I have a GeForce 285. the rest of the computer - core7i 920 in an Asus P5B DeLuxe motehrboard, 12 GB RAM, 2x500GB harddrives, Windows Vista 64 Ultimate. Pretty ordinary compared to some extremely modded machines I have seen or professional workstations. With regards to potential mobo issues - if it has 2 PCIe slots, swapping the position might do the trick. Likewise, you may be able to set specific PCI timing options in your BIOS (though usual the auto-configure is right). that may be worth a try. that aside, any "serious" hobby is expensive. when I was still doing it, I spent just as much money on scale model kits, glue, paint, reference literature and even expensive size 000 brushes for painting the models' finest details. I agree, though, that the simplicity of "physical" hobbies generally makes them more enjoyable than going hunting for invisible errors in teh virtual world...

Mylenium

• 11. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport
                              TimeRemapper Level 4

You mention OpenGL errors again here, and at the risk of being annoyingly redundant, I just want to make sure that you've indeed disabled OpenGL in the After Effects Preferences.

Apologies if you've done this ad nauseum.

• 12. Re: Strange tearing or vsync issue in viewport
                                Morriswald Level 1

Yes I tried disabling opengl, It doesnt seem to make any difference. Thank you for caring...

I am almost sure it has something to do with the videocard, gtx 275, but I have no idea about what card to try instead

the gtx 285 are a litte to expensive. I heard that 260 should work very well with adobe , but I am not sure about the difference

between 275 and 260 both card seems quite similar in desgin and drivers