8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 7:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

Any way to Create Menus in version 4?

Ole Pa Level 1

Dear fellow Premier Elements users -- I'm running version 4.0 of Premier Elements, and no matter what I try it crashes when I try to Create Menus (using a template).  I've created many DVDs using this great tool, but I now I need to make a DVD with scene menus.  The crash I get is in:

adobe premier elements.exe  AppVer 4.0.0.0   MonName dvdcreator.dll ModVer 4.0.0.0   Offset 0006d14d

I would be happy to create scene menus in any way. My movie timeline has both video and stills, and I've defined two scene markers (but no menu markers).  It seems that Adobe must have tested this function before they shipped the code, so I suspect there is a procedure that works.  Has anyone successfully done this?   I'd very much appreciate knowing how you did it!

I updated the Adobe software using the Adobe updater, so I do not think there is a released fix for my problem.  Since my version isn't the current one, I don't think that that Adobe support will help.  I had a similar experience with my previous vendor of moving-making software.  That time I purchased the current version only to discover that the show-stopping bug was present in the new version.  I felt silly for investing in the upgrate, and I switched to Adobe's products because I thought that they were a more reputable company.  Up to now, their software has worked pretty well.  If I can not find a way around this problem however, I fear that I'll have to abondon Adobe and start using Apple's products.  I have a soft spot in my heart (for PC-based software) but not a soft spot in my head!

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this vexing problem

Jim

• 1. Re: Any way to Create Menus in version 4?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Unfortunately, you've posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum. This is basically a repository for articles on how to do things in PrE, and doesn't get that much traffic. Likely, Steve Grisetti, our tireless MOD can and will move this out to the main forum, where others will see your post and can reply.

Now, if you can give the full details of your Project. Using one of the DVD Templates should not cause any issues. Notice that the DVD Templates are really two Menus - a Main Menu and a Scene Selection Menu. These come as a set, and when you have your Markers in place, PrE will automatically add the Scene Selection Menu for you, linking to those Markers.

Once you have outlined your Project, you might want to mention exactly which DVD Template you are trying. Though unlikely, there could be an issue with a particular DVD Template. Note: it would be useful if you could post a screen-cap of your Timeline, showing all Markers. Hint: the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the editing screen's Toolbar will add that JPEG image file to your post for all to easily see.

As for actually creating custom DVD Template Menus, there are step-by-step tutorials on Muvipix, plus there are lots of great PrE DVD Template Menu sets there too. I'm not sure if this is what you wish to do, or if you just wish to modify the background graphic on one of the Library Templates.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Any way to Create Menus in version 4?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You say you can't even open the Disc Menus workspace without crashing? This definitely sounds like a hardware resource issue.

Do you have at least 30 gigabytes of free, defragmented space on your hard drive?

What are your hardware specs? How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and what operating system are you using?

• 3. Re: Any way to Create Menus in version 4?
              Ole Pa Level 1

Hey Steve -- Brilliant.  I think you nailed it.  I'm working on a older PC.  It's a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 2 GB or RAM running Windows XP SP 3.  There are 17 GB of defragmented free disk space (which took hours to defragment).  Although Premier Elements is the only program running, it still can crashes as soon as I select a menu template and click Apply.

The reason that I think your answer is correct is that I ran the same version of Premier Elements on my office laptop: 2.2 GHz Duo core T7500 with 2 GM of RAM and 72 GB free disk.  I was able to apply a menu template on a much more complicated DVD project without any problems.  It appears that my older home PC does not have the horsepower for this feature.

So you not only diagnosed my problem, you renewed my faith in Adobe.  Now I'll upgrade to a hotter PC instead of jumping to a Mac.  I've never liked the proprietary HW and SW strategy that Apple rams down our throats.  I bought my first Apple device this year:  an iPod Touch.  Lovely little device, but I was flabbergasted that I would have to jailbreak the SW to be able to copy MP3 files onto it with anything other than Apple's own iTunes program.  And they've jiggered it somehow to prevent tethering it in the States with a cell phone via Bluetooth.  Makes me think that my ex-wife must be on the board... a chilling thought to be sure.

But Adobe makes great photograhic SW for both PC and Mac.  The reason my home PC has only 17 GB free is that I have more than 12,000 digital photos online.  All taged and deftly managed and optimized with Photoshop Elements.  Nice.

Thanks for your help Steve -- Jim

• 4. Re: Any way to Create Menus in version 4?

I think your solution is at hand, Jim! Happy moviemaking!

• 5. Re: Any way to Create Menus in version 4?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Free space is something that many do not take into consideration. Besides the Project file and the media files, there are many more, necessary working files that PrE (and any other NLE) needs to work.

The general rec. is 30GB of free, defragmented space. I would always allow more - much more. I keep about 4TB of free space on my workstation, just to allow room for my NLE to work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Any way to Create Menus in version 4?
                    Ole Pa Level 1

This is a follow-up post to my question now a month or so old.  Based on the advice of Steve and Hunt, I took the plunge and replace my 6-year old Windows PC with a new one.  The new machine is a 3.3 GHz quad-core (i7-975) with 12 GB RAM and 4.5 TB online disk.  I could not believe how much better Premier runs on this box.  The movie that prompted my original post was DOA on my old Windows box, and took a couple hours to render on my Duo core work laptop.  On the new quad-core machine it renders in about 10 minutes!  When I look at the task manager during rendering, I see 7 of the 8 cores (the 4 physical cores and virtualized as 8 "hyper cores") are pegged, and the 8th one comes and goes.  This is just terrific!  Premier used all of those cores like a champ, and just shreaded my move in no time.  In fact the whole program is more responsive and more enjoyable to use (for example, adding a text overlap to the timeline had an annoying pause on the old machine).

So thanks again for the good advise, and for an impressive job on Premier.  I'm definitely investing in more Adobe software.

-- Jim

• 7. Re: Any way to Create Menus in version 4?

Love to hear the success stories, Jim! Happy moviemaking!

• 8. Re: Any way to Create Menus in version 4?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

That is great news. Thanks for reporting the utilization of all cores. That is a fairly common question, and you have provided the full details for others.

Good luck,

Hunt