4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2009 12:26 AM by E M Storm

Programmatically dispatching a scroll event

E M Storm

Okay, here's the situation:

Initial problem:  I needed to smoothly scroll a TileList, programmatically.  There is no visible scroll bar on the control.

Partial Solution: I found Alex Harui's extended List class that will allow a smoothly scrolling TileList.  If I use a scrollbar to move the TileList, this works just fine.

Remaining problem:  I need this to happen without user input: it needs to scroll on its own.

Question:  How do I dispatch a scroll event to the TileList, so that it thinks that someone clicked the down arrow on the scroll bar?  The TileList already contains the necessary scroll handler, I just need to figure out how to call it based on a timer, rather than based on user input.

Any help?  I've read the Flex reference on the ScrollEvent class, and came away with nothing but a headache. 

Thanks in advance,

Eric

• 1. Re: Programmatically dispatching a scroll event
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Do you have a lot of data?  If not, just have the TileList show every tile and put it in a scrolling container.

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

Adobe Systems Inc.

Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

• 2. Re: Programmatically dispatching a scroll event
            E M Storm Level 1

In fact, each tile is merely a number, but there could theoretically be hundreds of them.

The application is for a friend, who occasionally oversees raffle events.  Multiple prizes are awarded, and not every ticket drawn is a winner.  The scrolling display is meant to show whether a participant's number is still "in play", and which numbers have already won something.  Since there could be hundreds of raffle tickets, a scrolling display is a must, and the line-by-line scroll of TileList was very distracting, at least to me.

I have, currently, moved the TileList into a Canvas control, and this does allow smooth scrolling.  However, since adding containers always slows down a program, if there was a way to avoid the extra container, I'd prefer to use it.

Not to mention the knowledge of how to instantiate a ScrollEvent in this way... 

Thanks, anyway

Eric

• 3. Re: Programmatically dispatching a scroll event
              Flex harUI Adobe Employee

If you've turned off the scrollbars, I don't think anybody is listening for events from the scrollbars, so you may have to subclass and call scrollHandler directly.  Maybe something like:

var event:ScrollEvent = new ScrollEvent(ScrollEvent.SCROLL);

event.detail = ScrollEventDetail.LINE_UP; // or ScrollEventDetail.LINE_DOWN

event.position = scrollPosition;

event.delta = scrollPosition - oldPosition;

event.direction = ScrollBarDirection.VERTICAL;

scrollHandler(event);

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

Adobe Systems Inc.

Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

• 4. Re: Programmatically dispatching a scroll event
                E M Storm Level 1

Okay... you've ALMOST answered my question....

Final piece of the puzzle:   Where do I get scrollPostion and oldPosition from, in your example code?

Eric