13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2009 3:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Exporting title with transparent background

Premier User Level 1

I'm using Premier Pro CS3 and want to export a title but have the background transparent.  I'm sure there is a simple way to do this but don't know how.  I'm trying to import this title file into another editor so I can see my underlying video but it's just black with the white title.  I'm trying to prevent having to retype the rather lengthy title.  I'm thinking this has something to do with alpha but I can't figure out how to make it work.  Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Why don't you use PS for that? Much easier.

• 2. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Choose File/Export/Title, now you can use it in another project. Titles have a alpha channel which means the background is transparant.

If you just want the text go into the text in the Titler highlight the text, right mouse click and copy.

Open Notepad or Word and paste.

You can also copy text from Notepad/Word and paste it in the titler.

• 3. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              I'm trying to import this title file into another editor

I have to correct you again. The OP does not want to use the title in another project but in Edius, Vegas, Avid or whatever. So he should use PS.

• 4. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
                Colin Brougham Level 6

In CS4, you can export a movie with an alpha channel that will allow you to superimpose that movie over background video in another application. I'm not positive that this is possible with CS3, but this thread at Creative Cow suggests that it's possible. Just put your title on track V1, with nothing in the background, and try the steps outlined there.

However, I'd like to suggest a potentially much easier solution: every editing application that I'm aware has some form of titling tool, though some may be more rudimentary than others. Assuming the editor that you're going to does have a titling tool, simply open up your original title in Premiere's titler, select the text (click in the text box so you're in edit mode, and then press Ctrl+A), copy the text (Ctrl+C) and then go to the other editor and create a new title there. Finally, press Ctrl+V to paste the text into the new title. You may have to a do a little formatting, but it'll save you retyping.

Also, if the other NLE you're going to is not on the same machine, just create a new text file and paste the text there. Save it, and move the text file to your destination computer, and then copy and paste the text into the titler.

EDIT: Sorry Ann! I totally missed your post. You had it first

• 5. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Personally, I use Photoshop for many of my Titles, and just Save_As a .PSD with Transparency, just as Harm mentions.

However, if you have the Title, just as you want it in PrPro, you can Export as, say a DV-AVI (for SD Project), using the WAB (Work Area Bar) for just that Title, and choose Million + Colors. The + is the Alpha Channel. Then, Import this into your editor of choice. Note: make sure that this Title is NOT over any other footage, as you'll get it, plus the Video that it's composited with.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

This sums it up nicely, three solutions, each with different advantages or disadvantages:

Ann: Export as a PRPTL file, which will not work with Edius, Vegas, Avid and other NLE's. Only within PR on other projects.

Colin: Simple, easy, but you lose all formatting you have applied and the same applies to TXT files.

Bill and me: Use PS, apply the formatting and it can be imported into any NLE of your choice with alpha. Bill's second suggestion may be difficult if the other NLE does not support multiple formats in the same timeline, normal video and 32 bit video.

• 7. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
                      Colin Brougham Level 6
                      ...you can Export as, say a DV-AVI (for SD Project), using the WAB (Work Area Bar) for just that Title, and choose Million + Colors. The + is the Alpha Channel.

I guess I'm not totally positive about this, but I wasn't aware that the DV codec supported an embedded alpha channel. I know that the MS and QuickTime implementations available in Premiere don't provide a means of accessing either 32-bit, alpha, or Millions+, and I don't think the Avid codec doesn't either. Do you have one that does?

• 8. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I think uncompressed and maybe Lagarith are the only ones supporting 32 bit export. DV definitely does not.

• 9. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Both MS and QT provide 32 bit, just set the compressor to none.

Check Render to Max Depth and set Codec Settings to 32 bit

Mist the question for another editor.

• 10. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
                            Dag Norum Level 2

If you don't need to edit your text in the other editor, you can just "File" "Export" "Frame", and then after clicking "Settings" select Targa as File Type (In General tab) and Millions+ of colors as Color Depth (in Video tab).

Make sure you turn off the eyeball for all layers under the Title (if you have any).

Dag

• 11. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
                              Premier User Level 1

Thank you, Hunt.  That did the trick.  It's actually a series of 37 titles over the course of a 4-minute video that I wanted to export.  The only problem I see is that if any portion of the extract does not contain a title, it removes the alpha.  I have instances where my video turns to black.

• 12. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Both you and Colin caught me on the DV-AVI and Millions + Colors. I was just not thinking, and should have gone with my first thought - Lagarith. I messed up. Thanks for the correction.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Exporting title with transparent background
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got some of it to work for you. Sorry for my mistake regarding the file format/CODEC to get the Alpha. I knew better, but it was early here in the desert and I had only started on my first cup of coffee. I promise to do better in the future.

Good luck with the Project. That's a ton of Titles!

Hunt