8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2009 5:02 PM by jesskaat

Surprise unsupported files

jesskaat Level 1

Hello all and Happy Holidays,

I'm using CS4 on a Windows XP system. I've got an IntelCore Duo CPU, 3 ghz with 3 gigs ram.

I shoot with a Canon XH-A1 and sometimes bring my JVC prosumer, Everio GZ-HD6U. It's a very nice camera, but, it uses a .TOD format which is supported nowhere except for CyberLink Power Director. Power Director has a utility that allows you to convert the files to .mpg and I've always done that whenever I use the camera. But, now something has changed.

I was using the .mpg files in a project very happily until I downloaded something called Calibrated Q import and decoder which decodes .MOV files from FCP. Ever since I downloaded this software, I can no longer read the .mpg files. PP tells me they are unsupported or damaged. I got rid of the calibrated software and still nothing. I re-converted the .TOD files...nothing.

Has Calibrated written something onto my HD that prevents me from playing the files. Any idea what could be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Vecchione

• 1. Re: Surprise unsupported files
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Based on your information it looks like it. Go to a previous restore point and restore to before the Calibrated Q installation.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Surprise unsupported files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that Harm has a good starting point - System Restore.

Adobe hides its CODEC's pretty well, so that they do not get overwritten, or corrupted by other programs, but sometimes things happen. I'd guess that you probably have a case where the other program has reset the priority of the CODEC's, and PrPro's MainConcept MPEG CODEC got hosed, or dropped so low on the priority scale, that it can no longer be used.

Now, before I rolled-back, I'd try a Repair Install of PrPro first, just in case that it will fix things regarding the MainConcept CODEC's.

Just a thought, and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Surprise unsupported files
              jesskaat Level 1

I uninstalled PP and reinstalled it. The clips now load. I left the Calibrated Q software on the computer. I wonder what will happen the next time I use it. Will it reset the codec prority? Is there anyway to set those priorities for particular software through WINS or PP? This codec thing sure is confusing.

Thanks to all of you for helping me with this problem. I really appreciate your time and effort.

Regards and Happy Holidays,

Jessica Vecchione

• 4. Re: Surprise unsupported files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jessica,

Just a guess on my part, but if that other program caused the problem, it was most likely in its installation, and not in its use. Remember, that is just a guess, as I do not know that program.

Glad that you got your CODEC's back!

Good luck, and Happy Holidays to you, as well.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Surprise unsupported files
                  jesskaat Level 1

I'll keep you posted as to whether or not the problem occurs again when I use that software. I don't think I'll be using it for a while, but when I do......

• 6. Re: Surprise unsupported files
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Jessica,

While you're probably correct and it was the Calibrated Q import plugin that broke MPEG handling, I must ask: had you recently updated your Premiere Pro installation not too long before experiencing the problem? The reason I ask is that since the 4.1.0 update, there have been a lot of problems with the updates breaking MPEG format support within Premiere. Every update the Adobe has issued (4.1, 4.2, and 4.2.1) has affected my installation this way, and results in me having to completely reinstall the suite in order to get things working again. Adobe is aware of the situation, but for some reason, are reluctant (negligent?) to correct the issue.

The fact that you uninstalled the Calibrated Q plugin and still didn't get MPEG support back, and that you had to reinstall Premiere, leads me to believe that that's the true source of the problem. No guarantees, but we've seen this before...

• 7. Re: Surprise unsupported files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

That could well be the case. Under certain instances, updates for PrPro have caused it to "revert" to the trial version, which has zero MPEG support. If there WAS an update just before this behavior, then that other software might well be blameless.

Had not thought to ask about updates. Possibly a great call.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Surprise unsupported files
                        jesskaat Level 1

I think I got the update about 1 to 2 weeks ago.

Interesting.