8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2009 6:28 AM by Harm Millaard

spend on core processor or vid card?

Spoot51

Hope this is ok question for the lounge. Building a new system and wondering if it's better to spend on the core processor, say an Intel Corei7-960 vs i7-920, or pony up for a more expensive video card like a GeForce 275GTX? Maybe both are unnecessary for Production Premium? I create several DVDs and burn 20-30 copies of each for friends and family every year, but I'm not in the biz.

Maybe a better question would be to ask if someone on the site has a 'template' or guide for high level, cost effective system specs? One thing I will pay for is a component that speeds up rendering time!

Thanks for any help...

• 1. Re: spend on core processor or vid card?
          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I would stay with the i7 920. Get an inexpensive video card.  Until Adobe releases Mercury, the video card has a near insignificant impact on your editing experience. Be sure to use an X58 motherboard. It looks like Intel will be releasing a killer 32nm processor at the beginning of 2010 that will be compatible with the X58 boards. For the video card, I like the ATI 4830. It's cheap and works well. Now if you are going to be playing demanding games on this system, go with a higher end video card.

I would get a Raptor 150 for your system drive, and two other large capacity drives for your media. Although not 100% accurate, I go to newegg.com and check out  the product reviews. For instance, I would avoid some of the Seagate 1.5TBs.

*They have several youtube videos on the Gigabyte motherboards we recently bought. There are 3 "unboxing" videos where the guys are getting their hands all over the static sensitive electronic components. The fact that many people simply aren't careful with the stuff they buy is one reason why, I only use the newegg.com customers reviews as a general guideline.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: spend on core processor or vid card?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Probably, the best location for this post would be the Hardware sub-forum, as it gets much more traffic than the Lounge does. I would not be surprised if Jeff, or Curt moves your post there. As Harm Millaard does not hang out there that much, you'll likely miss his input.

Now, I'd likely put the $ into the processor. Depending on the material that you'll be editing, there is not that much to gained with an ultra-high-end video card - yet. CS5 might change that playing field, but not without a price attached.

Maybe a better question would be to ask if someone on the site has a 'template' or guide for high level, cost effective system specs?

In the hardware sub-forum, Harm has several articles on getting the most bang for the $. One is on the I/O sub-system, one on buying/building a system, and one is on setting up a 64-bit OS for NLE work.

Good luck, and happy reading. Also, don't be surprised if this post gets moved to that sub-forum, as it will generate many more responses with good comments.

Hunt

• 3. Re: spend on core processor or vid card?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Definitely get the i7-920 (D0 stepping). The price premium for the faster i7's is not worth it. The i7 is easily overclocked to 3.6 GHz or even higher and is then significantly faster than the 960 or 975.

I'm with Chuck on the video card. Until we know what MPE can do on what video card it is just guessing, but the 4830 does it's work good and is attractively priced.

This is not yet on the PPBM page, which shows the benchmark results of various systems, but will be in short time. Look at the results and you will see that the i7-920 is pretty much a top contender. Only some way more expensive dual CPU W5580/W5590 systems are in there. Keep in mind this is an experimental page layout, awaiting Bill's final approval. For the official version, look at http://ppbm4.com

PPBM Index.jpg

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: spend on core processor or vid card?
                Spoot51 Level 1

That's a great chart, Harm! thanks for the info.

• 5. Re: spend on core processor or vid card?
                  Spoot51 Level 1

Sounds like waiting and waiting until the last possible moment is always the right thing in hardware. If Adobe and

Intel are coming out with product in 2010, it would be a shame to spend now and not be able to upgrade later.

• 6. Re: spend on core processor or vid card?
                    Spoot51 Level 1

ok, no more serious stuff here. i'll go to hardware and look around, thanks!

• 7. Re: spend on core processor or vid card?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Waiting is always an option, but the drawback is that it takes a long time. Keep in mind that if you invest now in a X58 mobo, memory and a very affordable i7-920, you will likely use that for some time before upgrading again, at least untill the Gulftown hex-core CPU's are a bit more affordable. According to rumors the introduction price will be around $ 1 K, or 4-5 times as expensive as the i7-920. You may wonder if that price difference is justified for a 40-50% performance increase.

• 8. Re: spend on core processor or vid card?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        As Harm Millaard does not hang out there that much, you'll likely miss his input.

http://www.millcon.nl/Harm/roflol.gif