3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2009 1:22 PM by Ned Murphy

two CS4's produce different published .swf from the same fileset

ZaphMann

Hello, I'm a novice at Flash, but an experienced troubleshooter, I've spent days on this intriguing problem:

*Can two CS4's produce different published .swf from the same fileset?

I have a flash suite written by a young man in China.

When I test the .swf file in the suite it works fine.

However I need to make some minor redesigns so I need to change the .fla file - but before I do I found that when I publish a new .swf from the .fla file (with all the necessary action scripts/xml etc in the right place) it doesn't produce the same outcome. Instead the navigation (next page, items per page etc) is missing.

When he does the same thing (I trust his integrity) he gets the new .swf with the navigation in tact.

You can see the two outcomes at the web address below (mock data).

There are no code changes, no library changes that I can find.

So I thought maybe there is something about different settings or 'environments' that can affect the outcome?

You can see at   >> http://www.zaphmann.com/source/source.html << the correct navigation.

Then merely republishing the source.fla (and a rename of .swf) NOW The navigation is gone.  >>>> http://www.zaphmann.com/source/sourcetoFromFLAswf.html <<<<<

Any ideas???

Thank you - a free book to anyone who has the answer.

• 1. Re: two CS4's produce different published .swf from the same fileset
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you both have the latest revision of CS4 installed?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: two CS4's produce different published .swf from the same fileset
            ZaphMann Level 1

Hello Ned, I

definitely have the very latest version, I will ask Mr. Chen to confirm his version. If his version were, say, 6 months old could that be of any significance?

The software suite appears to have authored produced a while ago as it uses actionscript 2, or maybe he just prefers that.

Basically the suite worked until he added a custom 'deeplink' (basically id tags in a few AS) and after which it still works at his end (compiled with CS3 or CS4), but not when I do likewise from the fla.

I have trawled through the AS code changes and see no errors or changes that would affect the navigation portion of the code which remains the same, so I hypothesized that there may some settings that could affect the publishing.

Young Mr. Chen in China seems to be a bright young man but not sto be so keen on deep troubleshooting...

Any ideas you have, however wild are welcomed, I can also send source files if that would help.

• 3. Re: two CS4's produce different published .swf from the same fileset
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As versions go, with the most recent upgrade I believe CS4 is now at version 10.0.2  (don't know for sure because I never got CS4).  If the fla file is being passed back and forth, then it should contain all the settings relative to itself, so I doubt there would be anything different from one machone to the other in that sense.  It may be possible that some new or revised class is being utilized in something he did that is not the same at your end.