19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2009 4:06 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 won't open

aschiffr67

I recently purchased APE  8 and am new to video editing.  The Organizer program opens fine and I was able to put my videos into different albums.  However, when I tried to open Elements to actually edit the videos, I was unsuccessful.  I clicked on Edit, Edit with Premiere Elements; right clicked on a video and videos, and then clicked on Edit with Premiere Elements; and, finally, clicked on Fix, then Edit.  In each case, the software went through a multi-sceond loading process but then nothing opened and I remained in Organizer.

When this first happened, I was told that I didn't have enough RAM.  I've now installed 2.5 gigs of RAM.  My system runs Windows XP and I have plenty of memory.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What happens if you open a Premiere Elements project first from the Welcome Screen?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
            aschiffr67 Level 1

If I click on New Project, I get a moving candy cane and a lot of files loading in the upper right but then nothing opens.  If I click on Open Project, a small box with "open" and a few dots appears but nothing more.  Organizer opens.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open

A candy cane? Unless you've got some candy cane theme on your system, I have no idea what that means!

But things are not behaving as they should. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling the program and see if that fixes it.

Othewise, can you tell us what operating system you're using, how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive, how fast your processor is and how much RAM  you have? You've got something very, very unusual happening.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                aschiffr67 Level 1

Sorry - probably candy cane isn't the right word, but when New Project is clicked and it starts loading files, the words are replaced with a moving dotted line that made me think of a candy cane.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software.

Here's the information on my system:  it's a Dell Dimension DM 051 with Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 Ghz, 2.49 RAM, Windows XP with Service Pack 3, with 160 GB of memory or which 56 GB are free.  And I defragmented the drive recently.

The only thing that may be unusual is that I store the videos on an external hard drive.  That didn't seem to be a problem for the Organizer.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open

You appear to have adequate resources, so I'm not sure what is going on.

It might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the program in case it just didn't take the first time.

Beyond that, I'm stumped. Sorry.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

aschiffr67

Since you first installed Premiere Elements 8 have you ever been able to open the New Project Section and get to the Edit interface?

Is your external hard drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? If FAT32, it should be converted to NTFS.

Do you run your computer with the System Restore feature ON or OFF? If ON,

Establish a restore point at the point where you are now (so you can get back to where you were later, if necessary). You have a relatively low amount of free hard drive space (about 50 GB), so be careful with this System Restore business of reverting to an earlier time since it eats up a lot of free hard drive space each time you do it.

1. Uninstall Premiere Elements 8 and its DVD Menu Templates, using the Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs. Go into the program files and make sure that you remove any Premiere Elements 8 folders/files that escaped the Add and Remove Programs procedure. Defragment the computer.

2. Reinstall Premiere Elements 8. Leave the DVD Menu Templates for later installation. Determine if the program is now running. Also, there is a photoshop.com feature associated with the program (free part and a "with fee" part called Plus). Have you signed up for that? If so, is that section of the Premiere Elements 8 interface recognizing your ID and password?

If the above does not resolve the issue, I would suggest then reverting to the restore point just prior to the initial installation of Premiere Elements 8. Did you install from a purchased disc or from online download?

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                      Sigman69

I have an almost identical system with a similar problem, except I can't even get past the welcome screen - most of the time. A few times I've gotten to the PE8 screen and then it crashed.  I've been in contact with Adobe and they've had me try many things - I have a lot of time into this.  Does anybody have any suggestions.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                        aschiffr67 Level 1

One possibility occurred to me.  When I bought the software from Amazon a couple of weeks ago, I didn't check the specifications very carefully - it worked on XP and my computer runs on XP.

After it arrived, I quickly installed it on my desktop.  Then, in a abundance of optimism, I also installed it on our laptop and my netbook.  It was only then that I discovered that I couldn't get the Elements program to work.  I then uninstalled the software from all the computers.

Before I had a chance to reinstall it, a friend came over and pointed out that I needed at least 2 GB of RAM.  In checking, we found out that the computer only had 1 GB of RAM.  I then sent away for another 2 GBs.

When they arrived I installed them without a problem and, then, reinstalled the program.  As you know, it still didn't work.

In roving around the forum, I came across a post that seemed to indicate that the software could only be loaded on one or two computers.

Therefore, I'm wondering whether by installing it on my two other computers, I had kicked in some restriction that prevents the full program from running. 

What do you think?

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                          Sigman69 Level 1

Good thinking.  I did install it on my laptop, and it did work.  I'll uninstall and try my desktop.  I have 2GB of memory, and according to the box, you only need 512MB, unless you're working with HD, then 2GB is needed.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The 512MB is the bare minimum to just install and launch. I think that 1GB should be the listed minimum, if one is actually trying to do anything with the program. Even with my 32-bit OS's, I have the full 4GB RAM (one with the +3GB switch, and one without), and have no issues.

Good luck, and do follow the EULA on the number of installations allowed.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                              aschiffr67 Level 1

I am working with HD so do need 2 GBs.  Any ideas of how to overcome the problem of having loaded the software on too many computers?

Also, where do I find the EULAs?

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                                Sigman69 Level 1

I would think if you uninstall from the second computer that would satisfy, but I did that and PE8 still doesn't work on my desktop.  One place that I know of that the EULA is found is when you install and click on agree.  I'm sure its also on the Adobe site somewhere.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                                  Sigman69 Level 1

The license is under program files/adobe/adobe premiere elements/legal/en_us  and the icon is a link to an adobe 'legal' page.  But, to save you some work I cut and pasted this which pertains to running on multiple computers, which is attached.  

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                                    aschiffr67 Level 1

Thanks, Sigman69.  I think my next step is a call to Adobe.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open

If you have an indentical problem, please try the solutions recommended in this thread.

However, without more information on your hardware, operating system and the type of camcorder you're interfacing with, it's not possible for us to offer further advice.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                                        Sigman69 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  Just to let you know, I do have a case open with Adobe, with no results after spending hours trying their suggestions.  To answer your question, I have a Dell Dimension E310 w/ a 3Ghz Pentium 4 CPU, 2 GB ram, running Windows XP SP3.  I have two hard drives, one has 24GB free, and the other has 118GB free.  The audio and video is onboard.  I installed a firewire card, but did disable it for one of Adobe's tests.  I have a Sony Digital 8 camera.  I did test the camera and card and it did work with Movie Maker.  I have 20 tapes that I wanted to edit and transfer to DVD, so I thought Adobe would be the best software for this, but its become more of a headache.

Thanks

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                                          aschiffr67 Level 1

After a number of long conversations with Adobe technical support and a request for a refund, I think that I might have figured out why I can't open the program.

I checked the system requirements and learned that for AVCHD videos, I need a dual core processor.  Since I didn't know what AVCHD stood for when I bought the program, I thought I would be fine with my 3 Ghz machine.  However, I recently bought a Flipshare Mino HD and, while the documentation never mentions AVCHD and only says that the videos will be in MPEG-4, from checking with Wikipedia, this seems to be the same as AVCHD.

So, my conclusion is that I can't open the editing program because my videos are in the MPEG-4 format and I don't have a dual core processor.

Does this make sense?  If so, is there some way to work around this limitation?

Thanks.

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

aschiffr67

Although a dual core processor would be nice, so would be 4.0 GB installed RAM instead of 2.5 GB. Even with that 4.0 GB installed RAM in a 32 bit system, typically only 3.5 to 3.0 GB RAM would be available, but it is more than what you probably have now. But, there is always the possible perk of the 3 GB Switch. If you have Windows XP, I believe that you do that through the boot.ini file.

http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2009/04/enabling-3gb-switch-on-windows-vista.html (this has to do with virtual memory, not RAM)

Have you optimized your virtual memory setup and defragmented and cleaned up the computer a lot.

There is AVCHD and AVCHD-Lite. AVCHD has the video codec (compression) =  MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and is characterized by final images of 1920 x 1080 (either via AVCHD Full HD1080i with 1920 x 1080 frame size and square pixels OR AVCHD HD 1080i with 1440 x 1080 frame size and HD anamorphic so that you end up with your 1920 x 1080. These days you will usually see a video with the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 codec with a resolution less than 1920 x 1080, namely 1280 x 720, referred to as AVCHD-Lite. Flip Mino HD appear to be recording 1280 x 720 30 frames per second video with mp4 file extension. In addition, I have seen the codec for some referred to as H.264. Do you know for a fact that this "H.264" represents MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression which would be representative of the AVCHD family??? MPEG-4 by itself does not mean AVCHD, at least not in my mind. Have you taken your video into the free utility named gspot to see what it says about the codecs for your video? Or, called the camera manufactuer to asked if the video codec in your camera is AVCHD-Lite or in the AVCHD family?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

If you really do have AVCHD-Lite, have you looked at the Steve Grisetti popular FAQ about editing AVCHD-Lite? If not, please do so.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/454585?tstart=0

Lots to think about.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't open
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

With XP-Pro (do not know about the other flavors), the +3GB Switch might be helpful. I use it on my workstation, and have never had a single issue. It does help squeeze a bit more out of the installed RAM (4GB in my case). I have not added it to the laptop, but do not do much heavy work on it.

Some PrPro users had issues with the +3GB Switch, but I was never one of those. One can also set up the boot up to be a dual-boot, one with the switch, and one without. This will allow one to choose, and probably should be used for testing.

Now, the lack of a CPU for AVCHD should not cause PrE to NOT load. It would not know what the source media is going to be. The program not loading points to something else, though the system could still be the cause - just not support for AVCHD. That would manifest itself with the editing and playback of that material.

Good luck, and ATR, thanks for that link on the installation of the switch.

Hunt